PDA

View Full Version : Some info on Vermont

Goonky
06-12-2014, 07:54
Hey all,

I thinking of doing my first extended section, where I'll need to resupply myself along the way. I'm in Maine, so I'm looking at Vermont from Bennington up to Rutland. According to AWOL that's about 90 miles. I'm also considering all of Vermont which appears to be about 150 miles. It will depend on how much time I can get off from work.

In Maine, I average 8 miles a day (just being honest), but down south I seem to do better and have done up to 15 miles in a day. I would say 10 would be a good average for me down there. Just did Fox Creek down to Damascus (over Mt Rogers and the Grayson Highlands) in four days without issue.

Here are my questions:

Is the resupply easy through this section?
No big problems for a dog through here? I hike with a 60 pound mutt. He did really well over the Barren Chairback range in Maine, just for a comparison.
I like being around the thru hiker bubbles and chatting with thru hikers. I've got two options for when I could go: late July/early Aug Or late Aug/early Sept. I'm thinking late July/early Aug will put more closer to thru hikers, yes? By late August, most of them are further north.
How challenging is the hiking there compared to Maine?
Any other thoughts on this section? Advice?

Thanks for any thoughts!

rafe
06-12-2014, 08:19
Southern LT is pretty mellow hiking, if not outright boring. Nowhere near the verticals or the views of Maine. Almost no peaks over 4000 feet. You'll meet plenty of NOBOs late July/early August.

In fact if you want to meet a big crowd of NOBOs, plan to be at an open summit (like Bromley) between August 10 and August 13, for the Perseid meteor shower.

Primary resupply is Manchester, very hiker-friendly, lots of services, good hostel. There used to be some kind of store/eatery on VT. 103 -- the road that runs by Clarendon Gorge. Also maybe Danby, VT, near Baker peak.

Goonky
06-12-2014, 08:25
Thank you. Sadly, those dates are exactly when I can't go. :)

Would you recommend starting further north? Would the northern most 100 miles be more interesting than the southern most 100 miles? I could also end in Hanover and just count back miles to a reasonable starting point.

Goonky
06-12-2014, 08:27
It looks like Manchester to Hanover is just about 100 miles. More interesting than Bennington to Rutland? :)

rafe
06-12-2014, 08:44
Thank you. Sadly, those dates are exactly when I can't go. :)

Would you recommend starting further north? Would the northern most 100 miles be more interesting than the southern most 100 miles? I could also end in Hanover and just count back miles to a reasonable starting point.

The northernmost 100 miles of the LT are seriously tough and remote, probably comparable to the AT in Maine. Very difficult resupply. The LT over Mt. Mansfield is anything but boring.

It looks like Manchester to Hanover is just about 100 miles. More interesting than Bennington to Rutland? :)

The AT stretch between Rte. 4 and Hanover is a roller-coaster of 500-700 foot ups and downs and some meadow walking. Somewhat reminiscent of parts of Virginia. I dunno if Dan Quinn's place (Rte. 12) is still "open for business" but if so it's just off the trail and worth a visit. Wintturi shelter is kinda interesting, has a ladder up to the roof and a great view up there, and you can pick blueberries right off the front porch.

bigcranky
06-12-2014, 08:58
Does it have to be the AT? The Long Trail north of Rutland looks pretty challenging. There is resupply every 60 miles or so. Maybe go from Rutland to Johnson, about 120 miles.

We're going to try the whole thing, using the southern 100 miles AT/LT to get our trail legs before tackling the rest of the LT. Like you, we can comfortably hike 12-15 mpd in the south, so it'll be interesting to see what it looks like up in the far north.

rafe
06-12-2014, 09:02
Does it have to be the AT? The Long Trail north of Rutland looks pretty challenging. There is resupply every 60 miles or so. Maybe go from Rutland to Johnson, about 120 miles.

We're going to try the whole thing, using the southern 100 miles AT/LT to get our trail legs before tackling the rest of the LT. Like you, we can comfortably hike 12-15 mpd in the south, so it'll be interesting to see what it looks like up in the far north.

The tough stuff starts around Camel's Hump. The first day or two north from Rutland are classic green tunnel, deadly boring.

Jeff
06-12-2014, 09:34
Bennington to Rutland is a great 90 mile section. Including two fire towers, three wonderful ponds, rock cairn garden, airport overlook and plenty of resupply options.

Mentioned earlier, there is the Whistle Stop restaurant 0.5 miles from Vt 103 open 6 days at 7AM...closed Wednesday.

Also great, inexpensive bus service if you want to finish at Rt 4 near Rutland and return to your car in Bennington.

Green Mountain House Hostel is dog friendly too.

rafe
06-12-2014, 10:30
I loved the fire towers, Jeff. But on those last two days southbound to Rte. 9, the firetowers were the ONLY views all day. The pix below from Glastonbury and Stratton fire towers, respectively.

I had a great night (alas, alone) at Goddard shelter watching heat lightning to the south. I love shelters up with a view!

Praha4
06-12-2014, 10:56
written from a NOBO hiker perspective: the AT and LT coincide over the 104 miles from the MA state line to Maine Junction, which is just north of the Killington/Rutland (US-4) road xing. White blazes mark both trails. ( BTW the Long Trail Inn is a great place to stay and/or park a car during any section hikes in that area.) That 104 miles can be further subdivided. The southern part from the MA state line to Rt-2/Bennington is typical AT long green tunnel hiking. From Rt-2 north to Manchester Ctr, the trail goes over Stratton Mtn, has some nice areas and creeks. Manchester Center is a real nice trail town, a must stop and great resupply point. From VT 11/30 north to Killington/Rutland (US-4), the trail has some tougher climbs like Peru Peak, Bakers Peak, and Killington, but still not as tough as the northern sections of the LT that are yet to come as you head north. From Maine Junction just north of US-4/Rutland, the AT turns east toward the VT/NH state line, that section of the AT has been described as a bit like Vermont's version of the "Roller Coaster" in Virginia. The Long Trail (LT) heads north another 169 miles from Maine Junction to the Canada/US border. As described well by 10-K after his LT e2e hike in 2012, the Long Trail is like 2 different trails. South of Lincoln Gap is more typical rocks n' roots AT hiking. North of Lincoln Gap the LT is much more challenging, more like Maine. However, the LT from Maine Junction north to Brandon Gap is long green tunnel easier ups n downs. From Brandon Gap north to Lincoln Gap is more challenging, becomes rockier, as the LT begins to traverse thru some of the ski slopes and ski areas. Personally I thought the LT from Appalachian Gap north was the most challenging part of the LT. Have fun!

Goonky
06-12-2014, 12:02
Bennington to Rutland is a great 90 mile section. Including two fire towers, three wonderful ponds, rock cairn garden, airport overlook and plenty of resupply options.

That's whats attractive to me about it. I don't mind the long green tunnel. :) I'll have other chances to do one or two night trips with better views (Bigelows in Sept, that kind of thing). This would be my first time doing 100 miles, so easy resupply is appealing to me.

I could also hike on to Killington and jump out there. Thanks for the info, and specifically the info on the dog! :)

1azarus
06-12-2014, 12:18
That's whats attractive to me about it. I don't mind the long green tunnel. :) I'll have other chances to do one or two night trips with better views (Bigelows in Sept, that kind of thing). This would be my first time doing 100 miles, so easy resupply is appealing to me.

I could also hike on to Killington and jump out there. Thanks for the info, and specifically the info on the dog! :)

lazy option is to go when you can take the chairlift and start your hike at the top!

Goonky
06-16-2014, 06:51
Ok, I sat down and roughed this out and this is what I came up with, would love some feedback and have a few questions.

I figure I'll stay in Killington the night before the hike and get an early shuttle to Bennington.

Who can shuttle me from Killington to Bennington?

Where can I leave my car in Killington?

I like to map out the trip even though it never goes 100% as planned, so this is my rough plan:

First Night

Bennington to Goddard Shelter - 10.1 miles

Second Night

Goddard Shelter to Story Spring Shelter - 8.9 miles

Third Night

Story Spring Shelter to Stratton Pond Shelter - 10.4 miles

Fourth Night

Stratton Pond Shelter to Manchester VT - 10.7 miles

Shower, Resupply, Stay someplace in Manchester. Where should I stay in Manchester?

Fifth Night

Manchester VT to Peru Peak Shelter - 10.1 miles

Sixth Night

Peru Peak Shelter to Little Rock Pond Shelter - 9.7 miles

Seventh Night

Little Rock Pond Shelter to Wallingford VT - 6.3 miles

Shower, Resupply, Stay someplace in Wallingford. Where should I stay in Wallingford?

Eighth Night

Wallingford VT to Clarendon Shelter - 7.3 miles

Ninth Night

Clarendon Shelter to Cooper Lodge Shelter - 10.1 miles

Tenth Night

Cooper Lodge Shelter to Killington, VT - 9.6 miles

Is this is a logical plan? Does the hike seem doable for someone who averages 8 miles a day in Maine, and 10 a day elsewhere?

rafe
06-16-2014, 07:02
Who can shuttle me from Killington to Bennington?

Where can I leave my car in Killington?

Doug McKain. 802 388 5407 or 860 214 4180. Lives in Middlebury. Shuttled me several times over the last two summers.

Where to leave car: Rte. 4 AT/LT trailhead. Or possibly at the Inn at the Long Trail -- I'd certainly give them a call, they're quite used to dealing with hikes.

Jeff
06-16-2014, 07:20
There is low cost bus service from Rutland (or Inn at the Long Trail) to Bennington. It does require a transfer in Manchester but will end up costing you $4 or 5 dollars.

http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm

http://www.greenmtncn.org/regional.html

lemon b
06-16-2014, 11:18
Bennington to Rutland is a PIA resuppying. Your plan looks good to me. Not a bad idea to carry one extra days food. The Southern Part of the Long Trail is a pleasant walk unless its buggy or rainy. Have fun. Also might wanna give the GMC a call on the where to stay options. They are good people. Esp Jenn she won't send ya on a wild goose chase on the where to stay questions. When I was younger carried all my food from North Adams to Rutland more than once. But that was than, and these days I'm more into enjoying rather than miles per day.

Goonky
06-16-2014, 12:46
PIA? (I think you're saying it's not easy. :))

If I can get Ramen and oatmeal and snack type food, I'll be fine.

Slo-go'en
06-16-2014, 13:08
There is no grocery store in Wallingford (or near-by) and the only place to stay would be 0ne of two very expensive looking B+Bs. Wouldn't be worth the trouble to try and get there.

You should resupply in Manchester Center. The Green Mountain House is the place to stay, but I'm not sure if Jeff allows dogs. Then go the distance to Killington. For the most part, that section of trail is really easy. You can get a good lunch (or breakfast) at the Whistle stop, about .5 miles off the trail at Clarendon Gorge (VT103). I think there is a small store another .3 down the road.

rafe
06-16-2014, 13:12
There is no grocery store in Wallingford (or near-by) and the only place to stay would be 0ne of two very expensive looking B+Bs. Wouldn't be worth the trouble to try and get there.

You should resupply in Manchester Center. The Green Mountain House is the place to stay, but I'm not sure if Jeff allows dogs. Then go the distance to Killington. For the most part, that section of trail is really easy. You can get a good lunch (or breakfast) at the Whistle stop, about .5 miles off the trail at Clarendon Gorge (VT103). I think there is a small store another .3 down the road.

See Jeff's post (#8.) Says he's OK with dogs and suggests the Whistle Stop. I've been wondering about Danby. Was that the town I was looking at from Baker Peak, on the trail? What's there?

(Did you hike yesterday, if so where and how was the weather?)

Just Bill
06-16-2014, 14:03
LOL- Jeff was kindly avoiding direct promotion- but read his signature.
He is the place to stay in Manchester-
Green Mountain House Hostel
Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Yes- you can park at Inn at Long Trail- and if you're not in a horrible hurry- the bus system is quite nice in Vermont.
Inn at Long Trail to Bennington is pretty easy- the last run from Bennington to the border (williamstown/mt adams) is a once a day deal- if time is tight, if I recall correctly- it cost me a $45 dollar cab ride from Bennington to Williamstown. You can also skip the last few miles and get on at Bennington itself if that appeals to you more or the last leg of the public transportation schedule doesn't work out right- you'll only miss a day of Vermont.

This is an excellent section of trail! And NOBO a good way to do it. In addition-
Consider putting in the extra food and exploring a shuttle from Hanover back to Killington. If your first 100 miles goes well, you could use your car as a resupply and continue on to finish the last section on the AT.
Or continue on the LT to the border- although that is serious country akin to the worst of Maine/NH. But there is a fella who lives up top who will shuttle you back down to Killington. (Don't have his name handy-but could get it) His shuttle was $150 though.

Your itinerary looks good based upon your miles, as a Mainer you will likely greatly enjoy the woods (southern Northwoods if there is such a thing) that others were knocking a bit- it's a very nice stretch- one of my favorites.

rafe
06-16-2014, 14:13
Or continue on the LT to the border- although that is serious country akin to the worst of Maine/NH. But there is a fella who lives up top who will shuttle you back down to Killington. (Don't have his name handy-but could get it) His shuttle was $150 though.

I could use that guy's contact info. That's exactly the section I have left to do. I might need to split it into two sections though.

Just Bill
06-16-2014, 14:37
I could use that guy's contact info. That's exactly the section I have left to do. I might need to split it into two sections though.
Arg- thought I could find it- posted it here before but don't have LT notes with me and can't find the thread.
There were only two shuttle services in the north, one guy named Steve (who was picking berries as it was jam season), and a retired guy named John (fairly sure) who lived up in Troy. The Troy Bed and Breakfast was a helpful source and she will shuttle back and forth to Journey's end itself with a stay.

His number should be in the E2E guide or likely someone else will pop it up here. If you get stuck shoot me a PM to remind me to dig it up.

He was actually supposed to be shuttling me from Montpelier to Troy, but we went back down to I@LT to pick up another hiker. Not sure of the exact numbers- but breaking it up that way may work for you too- Killington/Montpelier/Troy?

rafe
06-16-2014, 15:13

Responding to my own stupid post -- Killington to Canada is pretty much the whole non-AT part of the Long Trail. D'oh. The stretch I need to do is Stowe (Rte. 108) to Canada. The last bada$$ 63 miles. I think I'd need at least five days to cover it. 12 miles/day ain't much but it's killer terrain from what I gather.

Just Bill
06-16-2014, 15:33
Responding to my own stupid post -- Killington to Canada is pretty much the whole non-AT part of the Long Trail. D'oh. The stretch I need to do is Stowe (Rte. 108) to Canada. The last bada$$ 63 miles. I think I'd need at least five days to cover it. 12 miles/day ain't much but it's killer terrain from what I gather.

That guy would be a good shuttle then, likely $50 or so.
Call the Inn at North Troy- likely she would let you park or knows a place to park and then you can rest up by her when you finish or before you start. Doubt that section is any better or worse NOBO vs. SOBO- but at least you could finish at the border and there is the Journey's end Shelter nearby. Don't forget to add the (5?) or so miles to hike out from the border to where you can get picked up- journey's end road is not navigable to the terminus. On the Stowe side you face a steep climb from the road, but there is a trail head that allows parking if I recall.

Five days seems about right but according some A-hole- it takes 2 days seven hours to do that stretch- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?99105-Long-Trail-Speed-Hike-trip-report

rafe
06-16-2014, 16:09
JB, thanks for the info. I've already been up to Sterling Pond, a few years back as a day hike with my wife. But of course there's no way to avoid re-doing that. I'm taking it slow, my status is definitely "weekend warror" at this time. From about Mad River Glen onward, I've watched my forward speed (on the LT) decline to White Mountain levels, about 1 mile per hour, give or take. Glad to have Mansfield behind me, that was truly twisted in places.

Goonky
06-16-2014, 19:04

Very, very helpful. Thank you.

Goonky
06-16-2014, 19:09
There is low cost bus service from Rutland (or Inn at the Long Trail) to Bennington. It does require a transfer in Manchester but will end up costing you $4 or 5 dollars.

http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm

http://www.greenmtncn.org/regional.html

Thanks Jeff, but I'm guessing dogs aren't allowed on the bus. :)

Are dogs allowed at your place? He's a nice dog and I keep him leashed. :)

Goonky
06-16-2014, 19:11
LOL- Jeff was kindly avoiding direct promotion- but read his signature.
He is the place to stay in Manchester-
Green Mountain House Hostel
Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Yes- you can park at Inn at Long Trail- and if you're not in a horrible hurry- the bus system is quite nice in Vermont.
Inn at Long Trail to Bennington is pretty easy- the last run from Bennington to the border (williamstown/mt adams) is a once a day deal- if time is tight, if I recall correctly- it cost me a $45 dollar cab ride from Bennington to Williamstown. You can also skip the last few miles and get on at Bennington itself if that appeals to you more or the last leg of the public transportation schedule doesn't work out right- you'll only miss a day of Vermont.

This is an excellent section of trail! And NOBO a good way to do it. In addition-
Consider putting in the extra food and exploring a shuttle from Hanover back to Killington. If your first 100 miles goes well, you could use your car as a resupply and continue on to finish the last section on the AT.

Your itinerary looks good based upon your miles, as a Mainer you will likely greatly enjoy the woods (southern Northwoods if there is such a thing) that others were knocking a bit- it's a very nice stretch- one of my favorites.

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your words about this section. I love the long green tunnel. I'm excited!

I don't think dogs can go on the bus system. :) But I've some good leads here on a shuttle. And I'm definitely hearing that Manchester is the resupply!

rafe
06-16-2014, 19:53
Goonky -- for what it's worth, my pix from AT in VT: http://gallery.backcountry.net/at-vt-2002

Your trip should be fun. For a preview, you might check out Jan Leitshuh's great (published) journal, "The Ordinary Adventurer" about her NOBO LT thru-hike. I was headed from Hanover to North Adams. I bailed at Bennington, 18 miles shy of my target, 'cuz I'd had enough of the stinking heat. Spent final night at a great motel (with a pool) in Bennington. Such is the life of a section hiker.

Minerva
06-16-2014, 20:37
There is no grocery store in Wallingford (or near-by)

At. Vt. 140, Wallingford does have short term resupply, four stores-Wallingford Country Store & Deli, Cumberland Farms, Mobil Mini Mart and a Family Dollar. Plus two restaurants Sal's Pizza and Mom's Restaurant.

At Vt. 103, eat at the newly reopened Qu's Whistle Stop (closed on Wednesday), they serve breakfast all day and the caboose is now open for ice cream. Loretta's Good Food Deli (short term resupply and fresh deli items) is another 0.5 mile west from Qu's. Both places are hiker friendly.

Last week, immediately above (east of) the Vt. 140 trailhead parking area a beaver dam broke and the resulting flood waters created a mess along Vt. 140. Some of you may recall this also happened in 2008. The trail is fine, Roaring Brook footbridge is fine, expect delays for the next week or so if traveling to the trail head until the road repairs are completed.

Goonky
06-16-2014, 21:37
At. Vt. 140, Wallingford does have short term resupply, four stores-Wallingford Country Store & Deli, Cumberland Farms, Mobil Mini Mart and a Family Dollar. Plus two restaurants Sal's Pizza and Mom's Restaurant.

At Vt. 103, eat at the newly reopened Qu's Whistle Stop (closed on Wednesday), they serve breakfast all day and the caboose is now open for ice cream. Loretta's Good Food Deli (short term resupply and fresh deli items) is another 0.5 mile west from Qu's. Both places are hiker friendly.

Last week, immediately above (east of) the Vt. 140 trailhead parking area a beaver dam broke and the resulting flood waters created a mess along Vt. 140. Some of you may recall this also happened in 2008. The trail is fine, Roaring Brook footbridge is fine, expect delays for the next week or so if traveling to the trail head until the road repairs are completed.

Can I ask...as an aspiring thru hiker...:) how do you define the difference between short term resupply and long term resupply? Just curious.

rafe
06-16-2014, 21:49
In general, short-term resupply distinguishes a mini-mart from a proper supermarket. Ie., food to get you by for a few days but not food you'd want to subsist on.

Goonky
06-16-2014, 21:54
In general, short-term resupply distinguishes a mini-mart from a proper supermarket. Ie., food to get you by for a few days but not food you'd want to subsist on.

Fair enough. and the message I'm getting here is that Manchester has good long term resupply. I could get ramen in Manchester. :)

Dogwood
06-16-2014, 22:07
Since this isn't in the LT forum I suppose the OP is asking about the AT not the LT so why mention Camels Hump, Mt Mansfield, etc in response to his questions? If the OP is possibly seeking to knock off various states where the AT is has he considered starting from N.Adams at the MA/VT border and hiking NOBO towards home in ME ending at Rutland(Killington) on this 105 mile section http://www.atdist.com/atdist hike getting to N. Adams via public transportation(buses, Amtrak, etc) leaving his car in Rutland/Killington basically knocking off a good sized chunk of the VT AT? Although he could start in Bennington as well but in my mind I think it would be a great psychological boost and a convenient starting/ending pt if this AT section hike begins/ ends at the state border. Resupply would generally be a snap(N. Adams(plenty of grocery store options), supplement or resupply in Bennington if desired(two large grocery stores), and finish at Killington(Rutland). He could reverse this but why hike away from home? IF he hiked NOBO from the state line it is my best guess he will avg slightly more MPD if he starts at the MA/VT border than he did in ME. I base this opinion on my thought the southern part of the LT which is also the AT is less strenuous hiking overall than the AT in ME where he avg 8 MPD. If you do decide on starting/ending at Bennington, I think it's the YMCA, that offers inexpensive shuttles between Bennington and the AT where the AT crosses outside of Bennington. They also allow AT hikers to take showers at the facility. Leaving a car in Rutland/Killingto and taking that bus to Bennington Jeff mentioned is another option. If I'm recalling correctly the Long Trail Inn charges for storing a car on their premises so you might want to check up on that. PUURHAPS, if you stay at the LT INN at the beginning/end of your section hike the LT Inn MIIGHT wave that fee?

Minerva
06-17-2014, 07:42
Short term resupply has limited options and less choices (convenience store are best for omnivores) and long term resupply would have more choices or all diet types (large supermarket for omnivores, herbivores, carnivores and the gluten free).

Many a thru-hiker is able and will do fine to resupply at convenience stores along the trail supplementing their diet with a hearty restaurant meal (or prepared food from the store) and carrying out of town a huge loaded deli sandwich for the first night out of town.

lemon b
06-17-2014, 14:32
In my experience Danby is not a resupply option. Couple of gas stations if I recall correctly and one was shut down. Actually was thinking of moving up there at one point. Right now the locals do all there grocery shopping in Rutland.

1azarus
06-17-2014, 21:35
Anyone want to avoid a shuttle by spotting a couple of cars to hike from the Canadian border to the winooski river around mid September? Rafe, your wife's birthday celebration should be over by then... Don't mean to steal the thread, just seems like everyone is talking about hiking at the same time.

rafe
06-17-2014, 22:05
Anyone want to avoid a shuttle by spotting a couple of cars to hike from the Canadian border to the winooski river around mid September? Rafe, your wife's birthday celebration should be over by then... Don't mean to steal the thread, just seems like everyone is talking about hiking at the same time.

Quite possibly. Let's keep in touch.

Driver8
06-18-2014, 00:40

Killington Peak is a 0.2 scramble on a spur trail to the summit off the A.T. It has extra pretty views, from the proper summit, from NE to due south, taking in the Greens and Adirondacks. Poking around the summit area and on side trails, you can get awesome views, on a clear day, to the Whites. And if you continue on to Rt 4, a visit to the Inn and Long Trail is a nice reward for a long, hard hike well done - excellent food and other offerings at the pub. If you don't insist on doing the A.T. all the way to Rt. 4, you can drop down directly to the Inn from Pico Peak's slopes by taking the Sherburne Pass trail, whose head is right across Rt. 4 from the Inn.

Stratton Pond is beautiful, if buggy in May and June (maybe less so later in summer), and atop Stratton, the GMC caretakers, the Jourdhi's, Jean and her husband, are very friendly company. They've been there forever and know and love the mountain and the hikers who visit it, and often will offer a warm cup of tea or coffee and pie or cookies. Lovely people.

Dogwood
06-18-2014, 00:54
Killington Ski Resort also is partly open during the summer for mountain biking. At the end of that .2 mile side trail to Killington Peak is the tram that typically operates, AT TIMES, even during the summer so mountain bikers can get to the top and ride down on their bikes. There also may be a café with LIMTED drinks/snacks/café food that can be bought here. AND, yes the view from the deck is awesome on a clear day. Further, you can take the tram for a few $ down to the bottom parking lot where a local bus takes ya into Rutland(station is right behind the 12 Tribes Hostel) but where you can also be dropped off at the Long trail Inn. The dependency of the tram operating is iffy during the summer though(only when the mountain biking thing is happening.)

rocketsocks
06-18-2014, 01:02
Never been to Vermont, I'll pass on this one.

Jeff
06-18-2014, 06:05
Killington Ski Resort also is partly open during the summer for mountain biking. At the end of that .2 mile side trail to Killington Peak is the tram that typically operates, AT TIMES, even during the summer so mountain bikers can get to the top and ride down on their bikes. There also may be a café with LIMTED drinks/snacks/café food that can be bought here. AND, yes the view from the deck is awesome on a clear day. Further, you can take the tram for a few $ down to the bottom parking lot where a local bus takes ya into Rutland(station is right behind the 12 Tribes Hostel) but where you can also be dropped off at the Long trail Inn. The dependency of the tram operating is iffy during the summer though(only when the mountain biking thing is happening.)

Killington Tram schedule can be found here: http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/mountain-info/index.html

Migrating Bird
06-18-2014, 22:07
Yesterday, I completed the section from VT RT 12 (north of Woodstock VT) to Bennington going SOBO. I got off to a poor start, just past the bridge, you go up a knoll, there is a blaze on a large apple tree as you enter the cow pasture, I followed footprints to the left as the trail actually bears right (SOBO). Oh well, I did throughly enjoy the entire section. I really like the high meadows, old foundations, stone walls, charcoal sites, artifacts etc. Be sure to take the side trail to Lakota Lake Lookout. The cabin has been completely revamped and the view from the roof is not to be missed. It is private so respect it or loose it. A lot of moose activity from last years rut on Quimby MT as every stripped maple was destroyed. Thundering Falls was cool as was the boardwalk. The suckers were spawning in the brook at Gifford Woods SP. The Inn at Long trail is not to be missed, wealth of history, great stew. The original across the street, where the parking lot is, burned down during Thanksgiving Dinner. Two bucks each way get you a bus ride into Rutland for resupply. The bus stops directly in front of The Inn at LT and Pico Lodge., Yellow Deli has very good food priced right. The sinkholes on the way up Pico are cool. I took the Shelburne Pass Trail (the original AT before relocation around Pico (because Pico and the NSP couldn't agree on terms, Pico offered 3 back to back 100 yr leases which wasn't good enough for the NSP). Ran into Dakota Joe and Good German at the Airport Overlook wish we could have talked longer, really nice guys but big storm was moving in so we parted. There is a re-route just south of Gov. Clements Shelter (which was spotless by the way) requires a dusty hot road walk. I am not at all advocating this but I crossed the river on a log and headed south on the AT/LT, not advisable but stupid people do stupid things to avoid a road walk. There is a great view looking north to Mendon Peak, Little Killington and Shrewsbury Peak and the river valley (easily missed very short side trail) and the devastation caused by Irene and the power of water. I did go to the Whistle Stop for a burger and the food and new owners are awesome. They said that they will be staying open later and not closing on Wednesday. The suspension bridge at Clarendon Gorge is nice as is White Rocks. Little Rock Pond has Stratton Pond beat in my opinion, oh for my canoe and fly rod . The North Shore Trail at Stratton Pond from the northern intersection with the LT to the campsite is flooded and not maintained as beavers have raised the water level up a couple of feet so one must take the trail from the South by the shelter around the pond to the campsites clearly marked and nice hike anyway. If you are not staying in the campsites, the LT/AT is fine. The North Shore campsites have great views of Stratton Mt with the pond in the foreground. The view from Kid Gore Shelter is nice. The springs at Story Spring and Goddard shelters were running strong yesterday. Note: there is NO water (not even a mud puddle) between Goddard Shelter and Hell Hollow Brook (7 miles.). This caught many NOBOS by surprise making for a long hot climb. Nice views in this section as well. In general, the black flys were out in force on the Mt tops, with skeeters and deer flies patrolling the lower elevations. The trail had some muddy spots south of Manchester,with many fewer north of there. I re-supplied in Rutland and Manchester. I stayed at the Inn at Long Trail and the Silas Griffith Inn in Danby as my daughter came up to day hike with me.
M. Bird

rafe
06-18-2014, 23:14
Chock full of good info there, MB. Thanks for the report.

bigcranky
06-19-2014, 00:52
Awesome intel, thanks. Will make good use of it next month. :)