PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardware Supermega UL2

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-12-2014, 08:04
My GF and I are looking for a smaller and lighter 2 person tent. We currently use a cheap Stoic which weighs in at roughly 5lbs. It's pretty roomy and we like it a lot. We still plan on keeping it for car camping, but are looking for something a little lighter.

We narrowed down the choices to two tents: the Mountain Hardware Supermega UL2 and the Marmot Pulsar 2P. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mountain Hardware's tent is $275, 2lbs 7oz, much smaller, smaller vestibule, and has a paper thin 1200mm 10D fly. It is also cheaper.

Marmot's tent is $350, 3lbs 14oz, slightly larger, 2 vestibules, with a 40D fly.

Both tents would be split carried between the both of us. I really like the MH's lightness, but don't believe the thinner material will last as long as the Marmot.

Anyone have any experience with the two?

Praha4
06-12-2014, 11:01
haven't used either, but suggest you also look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

HooKooDooKu
06-12-2014, 11:31
I personally do not like the Fly Creek. I've borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 and didn't like getting in the tent like you slide into a sleeping bag, and even with the walls staked out, the walls still close in around you (the walls are no where near as vertical as most other tents with crossed poles).

But I do like the BA Copper Spur. The UL2 is about 3lbs with two vestibules. It's not big enough if you use 25" wide sleeping pads, but two 20" pads will fit nicely.
Full retail is $400, but can frequently be found on sale (especially during clearance seasons) for 20% to 25% off.

Both of these BA tents use thin material and BA recommends the ground cloth to help protect the tents. I must admit that I spend more time setting up my BA Copper Spur that I do my Kelty tents. With the thickness of materials in the Kelty tent and ground cloth, I only have to get the largest sticks and twigs out of the way. Otherwise, I've set my Kelty tent up in gravel. The BA Copper Spur, by comparison, takes a few minutes laying down the ground cloth and rubbing all over it to make sure nothing sharp is going to potentially try to poke thru the material. But I feel like it should last long enough so long as I continue to care for it.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-12-2014, 11:41
I eliminated the BA for the reasons stated above: the walls slope in way too much. That's one reason why the Pulsar is on our radar with near vertical walls. It is also 1" longer and wider at the shoulders, which means more usable space than the BA.

Kerosene
06-12-2014, 15:57
Frankly, I think you would do fine with the thinner material for the fly. A falling branch will rip through 40D pretty easily also, so a bit of repair tape (or at least duct tape) should be carried in any event. I'd be more concerned about space than durability at this point.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-13-2014, 08:53
I'm not worried about branches or deadfall. I'm mainly concerned about wind and how the fly may rub on the poles on the MH tent. I'm usually careful with where I pitch my tent, so the floor isn't as worrisome as the fly is for me. Also, I don't want to try to fall asleep during a windy night to the sound of the fly making noise like a trash bag.

~Sz
06-13-2014, 17:42
I love my SuperMegaUL2 (except for it's name :/ ). I'll be taking it out for several nights upcoming, but so far, a couple of nights in the back country, so good. It goes up like a breeze and if you treat it right, it should be fine.

Also, when I bought it recently via Campmor it was $50 less than anywhere else online. I also got Campmor's $15 Tyvek footprint to go along with it and I'm glad I did.

I did upgrade the stakes to titanium.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-13-2014, 17:45
That's our plan. We intend on getting tyvek for the foot print and titanium stakes as well. The tyvek is much lighter and cheaper. Not sure why anyone would spend the money on a nylon footprint.

Old Hiker
06-13-2014, 17:55
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents

Looks like they may have changed the design a bit - can't remember exactly what it was before.

If you are REALLY in love:

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/product/view/7/7

It's REALLY great for one person - two can fit, though.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-13-2014, 19:05
Unfortunately, I don't use trekking poles.

putts
06-13-2014, 19:21
Ive got the supermega ul2 and personally love it - for 1 person. For two people, no way. I highly recommend against the footprint, just use tyvek or some other cheap alternative. The grommets on each strap of the footprint are misplaced by at least an inch, making the fly only quick pitch option useless when you decide to add the tent body. I got it from 3point5 for 25% off wholesale which amounted to a couple hundred bucks when retail was 450ish. Im not sure what retail is now but TO ME its not worth anything near 450 bucks. Its held up fine to this point with about 100 nights of use.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-13-2014, 21:19
Thanks for the insight. We don't plan on buying it full price. We are quite good at bargain hunting.

As for the size, both of us are about 5'5". We don't take up a lot of room. Can you fit two packs under the vestibule well?

~Sz
06-13-2014, 21:36
Ive got the supermega ul2 and personally love it - for 1 person. For two people, no way.

How did I miss this? This is a one-person tent. Get one for each of you.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-13-2014, 22:11
Haha. I'm sure she wouldn't go with it. If I was hiking solo, I would only use a tarp and a bivy. But with my gf, a freestanding, 2 person tent with a bathtub floor and vestibule is her demand.

~Sz
06-13-2014, 22:51
Not sure why anyone would spend the money on a nylon footprint.

Eh, if it comes with the tent I'll use it, but the Tyvek is super awesome, so I'm glad I had that easy option.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
06-15-2014, 14:00
Well, today I went to the REI tent sale to see if I could score anything. I almost pulled the trigger on a Hubba Hubba NX, but decided that it was just slightly bigger than what we needed and didn't like the slack in the wall. But I did manage to score an Osprey Talon 44 for $75!

Once I lay out my packing list for a 5 day hike, I am going to see if I can stuff it all in and still keep it around the 28lbs limit. If not, I will need to take my Aether 70 on the trip.

putts
06-15-2014, 22:43
Thanks for the insight. We don't plan on buying it full price. We are quite good at bargain hunting.

As for the size, both of us are about 5'5". We don't take up a lot of room. Can you fit two packs under the vestibule well?
If you are both 5'5''ish and love to cuddle snuggly, you may be ok in this tent. Ive slept 2 in an old MH PCT1 before the honeymoon period ended. After that, she got her own PCT1. 2 packs under the vestibule staying completely dry in the rain would be very tricky, especially without leaning against the mesh door of the tent. Though you could slap on a rain cover. To me this tent is ideal for 1 person to sleep comfortably with their pack inside the tent, and gives enough room to not get claustrophobic while spending several hours waiting out a storm. I'm 5'11 180lbs, there is no way 2 of me are going to sleep together comfortably in this tent.