PDA

View Full Version : treking poles in nyc

neo
09-29-2005, 14:18
has anyone every had trouble with having treking poles getting confiscated
while travling by bus or planes in new york city,should i mail my treking poles ahead,i will be taking greyhound bus from nashville tn to lincoln nh next week and i will be passing thru port authority in newyork city:cool: neo

Footslogger
09-29-2005, 14:34
If the bus services are anything like the airports you might try to get them identified as "walking sticks/poles". Might seem obvious to most but the TSA regs currently prohibit "ski poles" (multi-section or not) from being carried on-board. We ran into that last May in Denver on our way back to Trail Days. Once we got the TSA rep to review their regs we ALL learned that if they are "walking poles" they are permitted on-board.

'Slogger

Alligator
09-29-2005, 14:43
Do they collapse? I didn't have anyone question mine collapsed on Greyhound a few weeks ago. Mine were collapsed.

Alligator
09-29-2005, 14:44
That was awful repetive-Sorry.

Alligator
09-29-2005, 14:45
That was awful repetive-Sorry.And poor spelling too.

Whistler
09-29-2005, 14:50
I used my non-collapsible poles on Greyhound without any issue except for odd looks from fellow passengers. Carry-on, of course, not checked. I'm not sure how NYC or regional bues, trains, etc would treat them.
-Mark

Whistler
09-29-2005, 14:53
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Alligator

That was awful repetive-Sorry.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
And poor spelling too.

...not sure how NYC or regional bues, trains, etc would treat them.It's contagious...-Mark

the goat
09-29-2005, 15:05
pretend like you need 'em to walk.

MOWGLI
09-29-2005, 16:27
As long as Greyhound allows them, you shouldn't have any problem with the Port Authority Police. They've seen a lot of things, and they should be able to identify you as a hiker pretty easily.

kaytee
09-29-2005, 21:32
I didn't have problems carrying my poles on the bus through NYC or Boston this summer. In fact I thought that they would make me put them under the bus but the luggage handler in NYC told me to take them on as carry-on. They helped me get identified as a hiker to another AT hiker and I ended up with a great seat mate and some good AT conversation. I thought that they would be a problem in New York with all the police and paranoia, but no one gave me a second look.

OnStar

neo
09-29-2005, 21:38
I didn't have problems carrying my poles on the bus through NYC or Boston this summer. In fact I thought that they would make me put them under the bus but the luggage handler in NYC told me to take them on as carry-on. They helped me get identified as a hiker to another AT hiker and I ended up with a great seat mate and some good AT conversation. I thought that they would be a problem in New York with all the police and paranoia, but no one gave me a second look.

OnStar
thanks for the info kaytee,your a big help:cool: neo

Moxie00
09-30-2005, 17:23
I don't know about the bus but my wife and I have flown all over the US with our poles, collapsed and checked, She has brought hers to New Zealand with no problems. Most security people know what they are.

Footslogger
09-30-2005, 17:41
[QUOTE=Moxie00]I don't know about the bus but my wife and I have flown all over the US with our poles, collapsed and checked
================================================
It's only a problem when you carry them on a plane. We could have checked ours too and there would have been no issue. But we were packing light and carried our backpacks on the plane so we wanted our sticks there with us.

'Slogger