PDA

View Full Version : REI Garage Sale June 14th

DLP
06-12-2014, 12:58
REI Garage Sale is at "most stores" on June 14th... http://www.rei.com/

Was thinking of people looking for NeoAir pads. I think a lot of them are returned for being to "crinkly" and loud.

I've never been to the Garage Sale... is there good stuff?

TNhiker
06-12-2014, 13:00
depends upon the store.....

and depends upon what time you get there....

some people camp out for these sales...........

RED-DOG
06-12-2014, 13:10
depends upon the store.....

and depends upon what time you get there....

some people camp out for these sales...........
Yep i agree, but it's a great place for an Inspiring long distance hiker to try and get what he/she needs for their upcoming hike at a discount. I would diffenantly go if i didn't already have my gear for my PCT thru next year. but be prepared for long lines and a alot of arguing.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 13:18
Is anybody planning to attend one of the several REI's around Atlanta? I may think about going. But I've never been to REI. Don't you need to be a paying member to buy from the garage sale?

Coffee
06-12-2014, 13:27
Lifetime REI membership is only $20.

Venchka
06-12-2014, 13:38
...you can join when you check out. Mrs. Wayne did that during their recent Anniversary Sale.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 13:55
...you can join when you check out. Mrs. Wayne did that during their recent Anniversary Sale.

Wayne

That's a plus. Wasnt sure if you needed to show membership before getting in or not.

Studlintsean
06-12-2014, 14:14
That's a plus. Wasnt sure if you needed to show membership before getting in or not.

I believe you do for the garage sale but I could be wrong. Looks like Wayne is talking about the sotre wide Anniversary Sale.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 14:15
well cr@p.

It's already a 70mi drive to Altanta (where there are several REI) so It may be better just to hit up Academy/Walmart in town or Sportmans outfitter 25mi away in chattanooga then.

Feral Bill
06-12-2014, 14:28
well cr@p.

It's already a 70mi drive to Altanta (where there are several REI) so It may be better just to hit up Academy/Walmart in town or Sportmans outfitter 25mi away in chattanooga then. Not much overlap in stock, I expect.

Venchka
06-12-2014, 14:37
I believe you do for the garage sale but I could be wrong. Looks like Wayne is talking about the sotre wide Anniversary Sale.

Wayne is talking about all the time any time. Pay your $20 and become a member instantly.

Wayne

Venchka
06-12-2014, 14:39
Better than that, with a credit card you can join online in the next 30 seconds.

Wayne

Venchka
06-12-2014, 14:52
Ricky, you might do well shopping the online REI-Outlet if you know what you want. The return period is limited.

http://www.rei.com/outlet

I went to one garage sale at REI in Houston. I got there about 7am. The line was very long. Then folks started showing up and joining there "place holder" friends ahead of me. Needless to say, by the time I got inside the cramped, crowded, disorganized back room where the stuff was, I had wasted my time.

Wayne

jdenkevitz
06-14-2014, 14:32
Had a decent experience today at REI in Timonium Maryland. I got there 2 hours early and was 5th person in line.
Payed off as i was able to get a osprey exos 58 for 65 bucks as well as a few other things.

Venchka
06-14-2014, 15:33
Had a decent experience today at REI in Timonium Maryland. I got there 2 hours early and was 5th person in line.
Payed off as i was able to get a osprey exos 58 for 65 bucks as well as a few other things.

REI Garage sales are a crap shoot. You won.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

jdenkevitz
06-14-2014, 20:09
Yeah i can easily see how it could have gone poorly. I was able to get about 10 seconds of time to scan through the backpacks before anyone else arrived, but once they did, about 15 people all converged at once and picked the bins clean.

scrabbler
06-14-2014, 21:28
Ricky, you might do well shopping the online REI-Outlet if you know what you want. The return period is limited.
Wayne

You're wrong. USED to be that way. Outlet is only 90 days now.

Venchka
06-14-2014, 21:32
The Outlet return period is less (shorter) than the main store. Check your facts. I checked mine.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

gregpphoto
06-14-2014, 22:08
I try not to buy any gear nowadays unless it comes from REI garage sales. Its worth the time, camp out overnight or get there super super early, either way, youll make friend, and youll get amazing deals, so long as your quick and savvy with the tags and inspections. I got a like new $270 rain jacket for $100 because "customer didnt like the zipper"

Anyone going to the East Hanover, NJ garage sale tomorrow, Sunday June 15th? It'll be back to back garage sales for me!

gregpphoto
06-14-2014, 22:09

http://www.rei.com/outlet

I went to one garage sale at REI in Houston. I got there about 7am. The line was very long. Then folks started showing up and joining there "place holder" friends ahead of me. Needless to say, by the time I got inside the cramped, crowded, disorganized back room where the stuff was, I had wasted my time.

Wayne

7am is way too late. 5 am is good for most places, but bigger stores, you might need to camp out. I think its totally worth it, having fun with other gear heads, and getting great deals.

Venchka
06-15-2014, 00:30
7am would have been fine. Except every person in line ahead of me suddenly had 8 or 11 friends show up. Not to mention one person who arrived about 8:30am. Didn't like the looks of the line. Paced around for awhile. Then suddenly appeared about 10 people closer to the front of the line than where I was. Cheaters never win. Wayne

Venchka
06-15-2014, 00:47
You're wrong. USED to be that way. Outlet is only 90 days now.

From the REI official web page:

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase, except items purchased from REI-OUTLET which must be returned within 30 days of purchase.

Wayne

Offshore
06-15-2014, 10:20
Anyone going to the East Hanover, NJ garage sale tomorrow, Sunday June 15th? It'll be back to back garage sales for me!

Wow, thanks for the warning - I thought it was yesterday. I was going to head up there this morning for some regular shopping. Change of plans...

Last year I went to East Hanover to return a tent bought from REI.com and as luck would have it, it was a garage sale. I had to park 3 lots down Route 10 and when I got inside, the checkout line was snaked around the interior store perimeter for almost 2 "revolutions". Luckily, an associate handled the tent exchange discretely, so I didn't have to spend hours in line. I was looking at that mess outside and the hours long line to checkout and thought to myself no way would any savings be remotely worth the time wasted. I can understand the "fun of the hunt aspect", but seriously, life is too short. Personally, if money was a problem, I'd rather be on the trail with some Walmart gear than wasting half a weekend at an REI rummage sale in the hopes of finding a deal. Opportunity cost is also a big factor for me.

gregpphoto
06-15-2014, 13:28
Wow, thanks for the warning - I thought it was yesterday. I was going to head up there this morning for some regular shopping. Change of plans...

Last year I went to East Hanover to return a tent bought from REI.com and as luck would have it, it was a garage sale. I had to park 3 lots down Route 10 and when I got inside, the checkout line was snaked around the interior store perimeter for almost 2 "revolutions". Luckily, an associate handled the tent exchange discretely, so I didn't have to spend hours in line. I was looking at that mess outside and the hours long line to checkout and thought to myself no way would any savings be remotely worth the time wasted. I can understand the "fun of the hunt aspect", but seriously, life is too short. Personally, if money was a problem, I'd rather be on the trail with some Walmart gear than wasting half a weekend at an REI rummage sale in the hopes of finding a deal. Opportunity cost is also a big factor for me.

You got it man.

I was first in line this morning, got there around 1AM and slept out in front, cowboy style. To me, time is easier to come by than money is, and the savings can be quite substantial (minimum 50% or more on brand new and lightly used items, sometimes as much as 90-95%). You do have to put that time investment in or its just not worth it, as you pointed out. But being in the first wave of 10 or 20 people, you stand a good chance to score something sweet. Plus, you meet AWESOME people in line, especially if you show early, cuz then its other whacky fun outdoorsy folks who also dont mind spending time to save spendings.

So really, whats half a day? Just go as soon as the store closes the night before, and go to bed at a normal hour. Done. I dont see whats so hard about that.

rocketsocks
06-15-2014, 13:46
7am would have been fine. Except every person in line ahead of me suddenly had 8 or 11 friends show up. Not to mention one person who arrived about 8:30am. Didn't like the looks of the line. Paced around for awhile. Then suddenly appeared about 10 people closer to the front of the line than where I was. Cheaters never win. WayneWow, some peoples children! :(

You got it man.

I was first in line this morning, got there around 1AM and slept out in front, cowboy style. To me, time is easier to come by than money is, and the savings can be quite substantial (minimum 50% or more on brand new and lightly used items, sometimes as much as 90-95%). You do have to put that time investment in or its just not worth it, as you pointed out. But being in the first wave of 10 or 20 people, you stand a good chance to score something sweet. Plus, you meet AWESOME people in line, especially if you show early, cuz then its other whacky fun outdoorsy folks who also dont mind spending time to save spendings.

So really, whats half a day? Just go as soon as the store closes the night before, and go to bed at a normal hour. Done. I dont see whats so hard about that.Reminds me of sleepin out for "Dead" tickets, often it was quite the good time. :sun