PDA

View Full Version : Shorten down sleeping bag

tarantolk
06-12-2014, 14:19
Does anyone know how I could shorten my down sleeping bag without ruining it? I'd keep the fill the same, it's just uncomfortably long. I'd rather not ruin it though.
Thanks!

Sarcasm the elf
06-12-2014, 14:25
What specifically is is about the bag length that is uncomfortable? I ask because my winter bags are too long for me, to solve this I simply get in the bag and then grab the bag at my midsection and pull until my feet are all the way in the footbox, the extra bag material then stays around my torso while I sleep and I barely notice it.
Personally I wouldn't recommend trying to shorten an expensive down bag unless you are already experienced at making alterations.

Sarcasm the elf
06-12-2014, 14:27
Or just do what I used to and stop by the East Mountain Sports on High Ridge Road every single week to see what they have on clearance in hopes that they will have something that fits your needs. It took a while but I finally found a zero degree down bag on clearance for $80 this way.

Old Hiker
06-12-2014, 14:28
I've read where you just put a tie strap or zip tie around the bag a few inches down from your feet to shut off the unused part.

Venchka
06-12-2014, 18:49
I really like the idea of pulling the foot end up where it needs to be.
Or. Shove extra clean soft stuff in the end of bag. Food bag. Hot water bottle wrapped in extra clothes. You'll figure it out.

Wayne

Lyle
06-12-2014, 19:06
Yeah, as mentioned, you can cinch the foot end of the bag with a length of cord.

One good trick is to turn the bag inside out, cinch it a bit longer than what you want it to be. Then when you turn it right side out, the excess foot box will be inside the bag, taking up some of the extra space while not compromising the loft at all.

Wise Old Owl
06-12-2014, 19:32
Sarcasm you read my mind...please stop! Serious when it gets colder I shimmy down into the bottom of the bag.