PDA

View Full Version : Possiblly for sale, nearly new NeoAir

Different Socks
06-12-2014, 15:31
Was so excited to get my Neoaire, yet on first two attempts of sleeping on it, I soon realized it's not for me. The thickness is too high that it places my back in an arch when I sleep on my back, it's too noisy to sleep on, and it just doesn't feel natural.
I will be getting the older version of the thermarest and trying that again Their first model I used for 1000's of miles and slept well every time. I will compare the two side by side, yet more than likely will be selling my Neoaire.
Since it was used only for 2 night so far, I will sell it as "like new" at a price of $120. That's a bargain considering a new one sells for $160. Or someone make me a offer.
BTW, the Exped pillow has bee wonderful to have on those sleepless nights when I used the Neoaire pad.

Kerosene
06-12-2014, 15:52
PM sent.....

Wil
06-12-2014, 15:59
The thickness is too high that it places my back in an arch when I sleep on my back, it's too noisy to sleep on, and it just doesn't feel natural.Just in case, I'll suggest this (you probably know it). An inflatable like the neoair should only be partially inflated. Your body should actually JUST BARELY touch the surface underneath. I inflate about 60% and then lay down and, if needed, release air slowly until I just barely feel my hip bone touch (I'm a side-sleeper). You are lying in the mattress, letting it cradle you, more than on it. If the mattress is inflated too much you get the effect you describe.

Venchka
06-12-2014, 16:06
Just in case, I'll suggest this (you probably know it). An inflatable like the neoair should only be partially inflated. Your body should actually JUST BARELY touch the surface underneath. I inflate about 60% and then lay down and, if needed, release air slowly until I just barely feel my hip bone touch (I'm a side-sleeper). You are lying in the mattress, letting it cradle you, more than on it. If the mattress is inflated too much you get the effect you describe.

Absolutely. I have 11 nights, 8 consecutive, (on the floor in my apartment) on my XTherm large. Could not be happier. Very little air in both the XTherm and Exped Air Pillow.
Mrs. Wayne says I fall asleep in under 3 seconds. Not quite true, but she might be right. I do not notice any noise from the NeoAir once I get settled on my right side.
I the next owner likes it. The "Love it or Hate it" reputation lives on.

Wayne

HooKooDooKu
06-12-2014, 16:29
I would suggest giving the NeoAir a little more time to see if you can adjust... and try adjusting the amount of air in the NeoAir.

When I first got my NeoAir, I wrote a review where I described the NeoAir as feeling "different" because you're only getting supported by air. Prior to using the NeoAir, I was using a very thick (1.5") Therm-a-rest open-cell foam pad that supports you with air AND the foam. But after a couple of trips, I quickly got to like the NeoAir.

As for the noise, the amount of air in the NeoAir seems to affect it (as well as the model year). I haven't quite learned what is the optimal pressure to minimize noise, but that's because I usually work on maximizing comfort.
With my latest NeoAir (I had to return an early Xlite that had the reflective layer delaminate) is seemed to be a little bit more noisy while brand new, and seemed to be a little bit louder if inflated too much.

Venchka
06-12-2014, 17:05
ps: My XTherm is current production. Bought new in May, 2014.

Wayne

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
06-12-2014, 17:29
Love my xtherm. Very comfortable, good support and so far warm on a cool night. Not too much noise for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different Socks
06-12-2014, 17:53
I will be going to Glacier next week for my birthday anxd will try your suggestions of less inflation, which by the way would really help b/c I counted how many breaths it took me to fill it and it was 21!!. My old thermarest took only 5--6 breaths to fill it.

Different Socks
06-12-2014, 18:06
BTW, I have just gotten a new computer and I am having problems with staying on this site. To Kerosene: I will try the pad again next week and if it doesn't work then it's yours.

saltysack
06-12-2014, 22:29
I would suggest giving the NeoAir a little more time to see if you can adjust... and try adjusting the amount of air in the NeoAir.

When I first got my NeoAir, I wrote a review where I described the NeoAir as feeling "different" because you're only getting supported by air. Prior to using the NeoAir, I was using a very thick (1.5") Therm-a-rest open-cell foam pad that supports you with air AND the foam. But after a couple of trips, I quickly got to like the NeoAir.

As for the noise, the amount of air in the NeoAir seems to affect it (as well as the model year). I haven't quite learned what is the optimal pressure to minimize noise, but that's because I usually work on maximizing comfort.
With my latest NeoAir (I had to return an early Xlite that had the reflective layer delaminate) is seemed to be a little bit more noisy while brand new, and seemed to be a little bit louder if inflated too much.

Most of the reflective material coming off of my xlite.. Lil over year old and used a few weeks max ... After calling they said was normal... Maybe I'll try sending back again..

HooKooDooKu
06-12-2014, 23:37
I will be going to Glacier next week for my birthday anxd will try your suggestions of less inflation, which by the way would really help b/c I counted how many breaths it took me to fill it and it was 21!!. My old thermarest took only 5--6 breaths to fill it.
I use a kitchen trash bag (drawstrings cut out) with a tiny corner cut out and a rubber band to use as an inflation bag. It keeps the moisture out of the pad (which seems to have been the cause of the reflective layer delaminating) and keeps me from getting light-headed. Once I've got the pad 90% inflated, I pressurize it with a few breaths.

rocketsocks
06-13-2014, 00:13
Different socks, I know you have a sense of humor, so I don't mind sayin...I am laughin my ass off at this thread title, I guess I just never seen anything like this before, and i'm sittin here smilin each time it comes around and saying to myself possibly Pa Pa possibly I might sell this, hehe(i know I must amuse easily).:D it's makin my day!:) glad you might Possibly have a buyer, could even possibly start a biding war....it's possible :D

No Directions
06-13-2014, 11:42
I use a kitchen trash bag (drawstrings cut out) with a tiny corner cut out and a rubber band to use as an inflation bag. It keeps the moisture out of the pad (which seems to have been the cause of the reflective layer delaminating) and keeps me from getting light-headed. Once I've got the pad 90% inflated, I pressurize it with a few breaths.

This never occurred to me. Thanks for the tip. Blowing up my air mattress is my least favorite chore of making camp. I'm already tired and I get light headed.

saltysack
06-13-2014, 11:57

Great idea... How fast does it work as compared to by mouth?

HooKooDooKu
06-13-2014, 12:56
Except that it takes a moment to setup, it pretty much takes the same amount of time to inflate by mouth as it does to inflate with a kitchen garbage bag.

You have to limit the pressure you apply to the trash bag to avoid damaging it. So in a race, someone using their breath where they can generate more pressure is going to win. But when you're tired at the end of the day, and it's going to take 20-25 breaths to inflate the pad, you're only going to be blowing just hard enough to get air in the pad. So in a side-by-side comparison, you're likely getting air into the pad with a trash bag faster. But the trash bag (how I have to do it) takes more steps:
1. Turn the trash bag inside out and slid the cut-out corner the pad's nozzle.
2. Anchor the trash bag to the nozzle using a rubber band.
3. Turn the trash bag right-side out.
4. Capture some air in the bag, close up the open end, and squeeze the air into the pad.
5. Without trying to completely fill the bag up with air, it only takes about 5 bags full of air to mostly get the pad inflated.
6. Once there is enough air in the pad that it tries to come back out when you open the bag, quickly take the bag off and finish inflating with a breath or two.

There's a guy on YouTube that uses a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. He was able to inflate his NeoAir using the trash compactor bag. In his case, he would catch a bunch of air in the bag, then close the open end of the bag over the pad's nozzle and squeeze the air in. I tried this myself (as I use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner too), but I couldn't keep a good enough seal between the wide mouth of the bag to the small nozzle of the pad. That's why I specifically use the rubber band and a slit in the bag... so I can make that seal once.

BTW: This idea came to me when I saw the Therm-a-Rest AirTrap Pump Kit (http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest-airtrap-pump-kit). I'm just saving $10 and a few grams of weight by packing a pair of rubber bands (one for a backup) rather than using the kit.

Kerosene
06-14-2014, 13:35
I just don't see the issue with blowing up a NeoAir if you've been breathing hard all day going up mountains. 13 deep breaths and I have my NeoAir shortie more-than-fully inflated.