PDA

View Full Version : What's a 'decent/cheap' trail runner shoe from Academy etc?

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 16:04
I'm looking to buy a pair of trail runners to buy LOCALLY.

In town we have Payless, Walmart, Academy Sports, etc. (your typical 30,000 people town).

I'm looking for something cheap (I know I can buy good pair for $70-$120, but I will buy that when we get our back pay for disability in 90 days or so).... I just need something for about $45 or less, to use for now.

I don't expect anything great. I would only have it for less than 100 trail miles.

But I need something I can get in a 10.5 wide.

And something that dries pretty decent. There's a 9mile trail (18mi round trip) that crosses 9 creeks/rivers each way. So I need something that won't kill/rot my feet.

I'm guessing if I needed to, I could buy a cheap throwaway pair of $20 walmart shoes, but Im worried they would feel rough and not dry out at all.

Have you bought a ''decent" pair of trail shoes for under $45 that are comfortable and dry fast, from one of the common big-box retailers, that you can recommend?

Are there any you think are totally crap that I need to avoid?

I'm looking to go tomorrow or int he next few days.

Venchka
06-12-2014, 16:12
Merrell Moab Ventilator low cut works for me. I am on my 2nd or 3rd pair. I have learned to buy 1/2 size larger than normal to allow for wool socks as needed. Numerous members here claim they used 3 pairs of Moabs on AT Thru-Hikes. Available in 10 1/2 and 11 wide.
Here you go...
http://www.rei.com/product/748515/merrell-moab-ventilator-cross-training-shoes-mens

DO NOT BUY WATERPROOF SHOES. That is a lie-they are not waterproof. They get wet and don't dry as fast as the plain shoes.

Wayne

Venchka
06-12-2014, 16:15
oops. Missed the $45 budget. I seriously doubt it unless you find discontinued shoes heavily discounted.
Stick to name brand shoes. Pay a little more. Find them on sale. Your feet will tell you in a few miles if you bought cheap crap shoes. Been there. Done that. Never again.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 16:25
For those curious, this is the trail i want to take... So I need it to be able to handle this.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/3/8/5/4/7569_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=59879)

Also, the $45 budget is because I'm actually not supposed to "have" this money. it was some money I saved up for hiking shoes because I was only using $20 walmart shoes that lasted 23miles on trails. So since I need to keep my family from knowing I bought anything (since I'm supposed to be broke) I was hoping to just run into a local store and buy a cheap pair of shoes....... and then when the disability pay comes within 90 days, I will buy a nice pair of long lasting shoes...

I just need something cheap I can buy locally without raising suspicion of "How did you get those, if you are supposed to be broke?"

Trying to find something cheap to last for a few overnight hikes...... Til i buy a good pair later on.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 16:32
this is what I found just by browsing academys website.http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/merrell-men-s-mykos-jet-hiking-shoes/pid-685410?color=Aluminum%2fBrindle&N=834233313+4294954812 it says $39 but I don't know anything about hiking shoes.... But I like it says "water friendly"

Anybody know about these?

**EDIT** I have never walked/hiked in water, so thats what I'm most worried about. I don't wanna get to the camp at night and find out that clue/stitches tore and I have to hike back barefoot.

RED-DOG
06-12-2014, 16:41
Academy should have "New Balance", New balance makes an awesome trail shoe and they will last alot longer than 100m, if academy don't have them then Shoe Show will, they cost between 40-50 dollars, I personnaly know hikers that hiked the entire AT using 2 pairs so they will last a good 500-800m comfortably. and i have used them i have hiked many miles in a pair of New Balance.

CalebJ
06-12-2014, 16:41
If you're just going to use them for a few hikes, any lightweight trail runners from a decent brand will be adequate. Check sales at local running / hiking shops and see what they're getting rid of. If something feels good on your feet, go with it.

For what it's worth, there are decent shoes you can get for reasonable prices. I buy most of my shoes from Sierra Trading Post. With their regular coupons through email, I rarely pay more than about $45 per pair (though I usually get a couple pair at a time to save on shipping).

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 16:44
question about walking in water...... If its 21 river/creek crossings in 9 miles...... Do you wear the same pair of socks the whole time, til the camp is reached for the night? what do you do when you have multiple water crossings in a day?

RED-DOG
06-12-2014, 16:50
Personnaly i just walk through them with shoes and socks on and then walk them out dry, what are you going to do when it rains for 3-4-5 days straight your feet will get wet any ways, you will get used of being wet when your out for days, weeks or even months on end, when you get to camp put your camp shoes on and a dry pair of socks and let the wet stuff dry.

TNhiker
06-12-2014, 16:59
Do you wear the same pair of socks the whole time, til the camp is reached for the night? what do you do when you have multiple water crossings in a day?

on trail---i wear socks and boots...

when i get to a water crossing---take socks and boots off and switch to a pair of crocs (and by the way---you can get cheap off brand water shoes at walmart)........after crossing, and depending upon how far the next crossing is, determines whether i stay in crocs or change back into socks and boots.......

generally, i want to keep my socks and boots as dry as possible....

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 17:02
on trail---i wear socks and boots...

when i get to a water crossing---take socks and boots off and switch to a pair of crocs (and by the way---you can get cheap off brand water shoes at walmart)........after crossing, and depending upon how far the next crossing is, determines whether i stay in crocs or change back into socks and boots.......

generally, i want to keep my socks and boots as dry as possible....

So crocs and knock-off crocs are good for water crossing? Not too slick? Cause I was gonna pick up a really cheap pair at walmart as well, for camp shoes. But I can use for the water as well if convenient and not too dangerous

Venchka
06-12-2014, 17:03
I hit the send too fast. New Balance is my other shoe of choice. Good shoes.
For your immediate needs, if you only have $45, what difference does it make? Look for a name brand first in your price range. Merrell, New Balance, Nike, Asics, Hi-Tec, the list goes on. Tell the folks what you want to do. They may know something and steer you on to a decent shoe.
Something on this page might work. In your area, Academy will have more hiking stuff than here in Texas. All guns, hunting & fishing here.
http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/footwear-men-s-footwear-men-s-training/inov-8/reebok/_/N-611002955+4294820688+4294965205

Fit is more important than anything else. Some folks use a cheap pair of Crocs for stream crossings & camp shoes.

Wayne

swisscross
06-12-2014, 17:04
hmmm
I was in the same situation as you and bought some NB MT510's.
Played disc golf in them for about a month with no issues.
Took them to Disney and walked my butt off for 5 days.
On the third day my big toe was completely numb. Still not back to normal after 3 weeks.
They are not too tight either. Plenty of room in the toebox.
I have an appointment next week to have my foot looked at by the doc.

My advice is to stay away from dirt cheap shoes. No support and wimpy (soft and flexy) soles.
OR...buy a good insert. They will run you another 30-40 dollars.

Bump your price range up a little and buy a nice supportive shoe.

TNhiker
06-12-2014, 17:07
So crocs and knock-off crocs are good for water crossing? Not too slick?

it all depends upon what's in the water.....

but, the hiking i do here in the southeast, with somewhat mossy rock and what not, i have not had a problem slipping...

but, also the key is to watch where ya step and how ya step.....

when i get to a water crossing-----i scope out a line that i think is safe.........see how current is flowing, how deep, how the rocks are, etc etc...........then i make crossing and adjust accordingly...

and yeah---i was a walmart a few weeks ago and saw a pair of keen knockoff sandals that were 8 bucks..............since my crocs are still in good shape, i didnt need a pair but kept it in the back of my mind in case i do...

also----since i wear boots and not trail runners-----i always have the crocs with me.........once i get into camp and set up---i change from boots to crocs to let me feet air out and give them more space......

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 17:08
I live 2hrs from you. So our water situation should be generally the same. Thanks for the recommendation

TNhiker
06-12-2014, 17:13
I live 2hrs from you. So our water situation should be generally the same

yup.........

thats why i said it.....

and in this area----IMO, some of the best hiking around.....

so much to choose from......

some fine places like joyce kilmer/slickrock/citicio and the national park.....

i havent done cohutta or big frog but hope to hit it up this fall...........

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 17:14
yeah I want to do Jacks river crossing in Cohutta. That's the trail I created this thread for. soooo much water crossing

Venchka
06-12-2014, 18:54
Do you ever read TipiWalter's trip reports when he goes up or down or along Slickrock Creek? I think he spends more time in that creek than he does on the trail. At high water too. With a huge heavy pack. Ask him how to do it.
The photos you posted looked like a party. Not rough or dangerous. Low water I bet. Hot weather. The cool water would be a treat.
You are thinking too much. Just do it.

Wayne

Venchka
06-12-2014, 18:59
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?103627-17-Days-On-Tough-Trails&p=1874647&viewfull=1#post1874647

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?103626-Slickrock-Crossing

Wayne

Venchka
06-12-2014, 19:02
Here you go. Anything on this page will work for a summer. Probably longer. Your local store might have a few of these in your size.

http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/footwear-men-s-footwear-men-s-hiking-men-s-hiking-shoes/_/N-571384064

Wayne

wiel
06-12-2014, 19:32
I've done the 21 crossings, what a beautiful trail, one of my favs. We just hike in regular hiking shoes until reaching the first water crossing, then put on cheap old athletic shoes to wade the remaining crossings (stash hiking shoes in the woods) ; on the return switch out to the hiking shoe. Others in the group have used keens the whole trail.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 19:33
Thanks wayne. I have only used cheap walmart shoes in the past. Wasnt really sure what is "decent" for possible multiple water crossings.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 19:35
I've done the 21 crossings, what a beautiful trail, one of my favs. We just hike in regular hiking shoes until reaching the first water crossing, then put on cheap old athletic shoes to wade the remaining crossings (stash hiking shoes in the woods) ; on the return switch out to the hiking shoe. Others in the group have used keens the whole trail.

Hey, Im having trouble finding a proper map of the trail(s) in that area.... Im reading its either 8miles or 19 miles..... and reading that its a loop and also that its not.

Im really wanting to go there in the next few days, but understudying that area and finding a readable map of that trail/area has been hard to locate. I can't find anything with like, an arial view with a lightlited path etc.

Maddog
06-12-2014, 19:51
The Cohutta Wilderness is no place for a novice backpacker. Shoes are the least of your worries! HYOH!

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 19:53
The Cohutta Wilderness is no place for a novice backpacker. Shoes are the least of your worries! HYOH!

its like 18 miles from my house. So I thought local was a good place to start.......... (Its 62 miles if I want to hike amicalola/springer again)

rafe
06-12-2014, 20:05
Yeah, I'd go looking for a pair of New Balance something-or-others at an outlet store. But that's mostly cuz New Balance stuff tends to feel good to my wide feet. Expect 500 miles or so.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 20:17
I've noticed quite a few people mentioned just using cheap tennis shoes.... I never really tried before, but wouldn't tennis shoes get ruined after even just once or twice being fully submerged in water (creek/river crossing)? Or do they still dry out overnight, and would last a bit?

***EDIT: I know I don't need it to last a long time. But If I can get about 100 miles/10 good nights out of it, thats good enough for me. But don't want it to crap out after 1 water crossing.

Malto
06-12-2014, 20:36
You will learn to not get get freaked out over wet feet, at least when it not freezing. Wear your regular shoes all the way through. They will get wet and stay wet. That is a nice area to hike. Certainly not a bad second (or whatever it is) hike.

Coffee
06-12-2014, 20:47
What has worked reasonably well for me with water crossings is to remove my socks and insoles before any place where I know my trail runners (Cascadias) are going to get soaking wet. After the crossing, I take off the shoes, dry my feet, put on the dry socks, insert insoles, and proceed. Depending on humidity, the trail runners dry relatively quickly, or not at all. Of course, if it is raining hard, shoes and socks will get soaked no matter what you do. I never try to cross any streams barefoot. The risk is too high. Nor do I carry water shoes due to the added weight.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 20:50
You will learn to not get get freaked out over wet feet, at least when it not freezing. Wear your regular shoes all the way through. They will get wet and stay wet. That is a nice area to hike. Certainly not a bad second (or whatever it is) hike.

Okay. I guess Im just paranoid because of what Leutenant Dan said in forest Gump about socks and wet feet..

When I did the approach trail a few weeks ago, I wore some cheap $19 walmart shoes that had the bottoms almost wore out. I was worried about them breaking on the hike, so I carried a second paid of older walmart shoes (my pair before it) as a backup...... My feet felt great when I made camp. Not a second of pain. But there was a hole in the bottom so I threw them into the fire and just used my backup pair for the return hike. And within minutes of putting my backup pair on, my feet really sucked. felt like i was barefoot on rocks.... took 4 days til my feet felt fine at home to recover.

So that's the reason Im over-thinking (freaking out) about comfy shoes that I need to only last a little while til the disability check arrives.

rafe
06-12-2014, 21:13
Rick: Your feet will take an awful beating, and more so after days of walking on wet, muddy trail. I'm not aware of any silver bullets to deal with this but one thing to do is make sure you get your feet as warm and dry as possible at camp and while you're sleeping. IMO, it's critical to have a base layer and a pair of socks that's always clean and dry -- stuff you never wear while hiking but reserve for camp.

In the worst of times you'll be putting on cold, wet socks in the morning and inserting them into cold wet hiking shoes. Stuff happens. I don't know any way around it. Good news is that you hardly notice after the first few minutes of hiking.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 21:17
Rick: Your feet will take an awful beating, and more so after days of walking on wet, muddy trail. I'm not aware of any silver bullets to deal with this but one thing to do is make sure you get your feet as warm and dry as possible at camp and while you're sleeping. IMO, it's critical to have a base layer and a pair of socks that's always clean and dry -- stuff you never wear while hiking but reserve for camp.

In the worst of times you'll be putting on cold, wet socks in the morning and inserting them into cold wet hiking shoes. Stuff happens. I don't know any way around it. Good news is that you hardly notice after the first few minutes of hiking.

Okay. You pretty much put me at ease.... Now its time to head to academy etc to find shoes, and camp shoes/crocs

Sarcasm the elf
06-12-2014, 22:12
Academy should have "New Balance", New balance makes an awesome trail shoe and they will last alot longer than 100m, if academy don't have them then Shoe Show will, they cost between 40-50 dollars, I personnaly know hikers that hiked the entire AT using 2 pairs so they will last a good 500-800m comfortably. and i have used them i have hiked many miles in a pair of New Balance.

I would second the suggestion of looking for a pay of New Balance trail runners on sale/clearance. I don't know if they actually call them trail runners, but look for the ones with a fairly beefy tread.

As far as your question about water crossings, in warm weather I usually just walk through with my trail runners on. Some people prefer to take their shoes off, but I like the added stability when I'm walking in a stream. I find that synthetic trail shoes dry off quickly enough when you hike in them for a while.

Malto
06-12-2014, 22:15
I would second the suggestion of looking for a pay of New Balance trail runners on sale/clearance. I don't know if they actually call them trail runners, but look for the ones with a fairly beefy tread.

As far as your question about water crossings, in warm weather I usually just walk through with my trail runners on. Some people prefer to take their shoes off, but I like the added stability when I'm walking in a stream. I find that synthetic trail shoes dry off quickly enough when you hike in them for a while.

RS, the difference with this trail is that you are in and out of water constantly. After the first couple of crossings, I just said F it and lived with wet shoes. A single crossing, maybe you could croc it, but you would spend more time changing shoes then hiking.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 22:51
yeah, if i read right, its 21 crossings for a 9 mile trail..... or something

MuddyWaters
06-12-2014, 23:06
The best shoe is the one that fits you the best, breathable, with roomy toe box. Everything else doesnt matter.

My son used several pairs from Academy while he was growing fast. Nike alvalords, adidas kanadia come to mind. Dont be hung up on brand name, go by what feels good.

rocketsocks
06-13-2014, 02:45
The best shoe is the one that fits you the best, breathable, with roomy toe box. Everything else doesnt matter.

My son used several pairs from Academy while he was growing fast. Nike alvalords, adidas kanadia come to mind. Dont be hung up on brand name, go by what feels good.
This all the way, everybody perceives comfort differently. Now that said, when it comes to sneakers, you for the most part, pretty much get what you pay for. That's not to say there aren't deals out there to be found, but....

check out steap and cheap for some, sometimes good deals, Woot, Sierra trading post, and Moose jaw

http://www.steepandcheap.com/?CMP_ID=PD_GOc005TM&mkwid=Exact:Steep_and_cheap

http://sport.woot.com/?ref=gh_sp_6

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/?afsrc=1&gclid=CInbucag9r4CFc1QOgodRXIAzg&codes-processed=true

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/home____?ad_id=Google&cm_mmc=PPC-_-Google-_-Moosejaw_Moosejaw-_-moose+jaw_Exact_40784274283&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000022370-_-40784274283&kcid=38a6ffc0-21a4-7aa9-db84-000043c36f25&utm_medium=PPC&utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_campaign=Moosejaw&utm_term=moose-jaw_Exact&gclid=CLzLwvug9r4CFXQOOgod7DAAbA

Coffee
06-13-2014, 07:11
But there was a hole in the bottom so I threw them into the fire ...

Ok, ok, someone has to say it ... Please do not attempt to dispose of shoes by burning them in campfires. :rolleyes:

Venchka
06-13-2014, 08:02
... But there was a hole in the bottom so I threw them into the fire ...

I have to call "BS" on that.
Pack it in.
Pack it out.

Academy will have useful shoes. Follow the link I posted earlier. You might bust your budget. Your feet will thank you.
I have a pair of New Balance 8 hundred something model number cross trainer/trail runners/whatever you want to call them/beefed up running shoes that I had in New Orleans before Katina (2005). After wearing them for work and casual dress several years, I retired them to grass cutting/fishing/wading/banging around duty. They are still in my garage and I wear them to work in the yard/play in the mud/wade in the lake. They still work. No holes. No split seams. I can't break them. back in my canoeing days, I had other shoes that got wet routinely (living in New Orleans forever that happens a lot) and they didn't melt from a little water. Call me a snob, but I have never owned a pair of shoes from a no mane company. As a result, my shoes don't fall apart. They may look like death, but they just keep working. Mrs. Wayne usually throws them out when I'm not looking. They still have life left in them.
One more time: Buy quality once. That doesn't mean the most expensive. I look for sales, closeouts, etc. It has always been less expensive for me to buy good quality at a decent price versus cheap crap that falls apart. That applies to a lot of categories. Not just outdoor toys.

Wayne

Venchka
06-13-2014, 08:03
Thanks Coffee. I was typing and you were posting.

Wayne

Venchka
06-13-2014, 08:10
This was cut and pasted from I link I posted yesterday in your $ for a trip thread I think. Written by the Chamber of Commerce lawyers no doubt.
Is this where you want to hike with all river crossings?

2 Jacks River Falls. Located in the Cohutta Wilderness Area on the Jacks River, this beautiful waterfall is the most visited
site in the Cohutta and is reached by a 4.5 mile trail through
rugged wilderness. It is highly recommended to get the USFS
map of the Cohutta Wilderness and carry the 10 Essentials.
For the shortest hike in, approach from the northwest access
point. Start in Ellijay and drive Hwy 52 west to Chatsworth.
From Chatsworth, go north on US 411 for 13 miles to Cisco.
Turn right on Old Hwy 2. Continue on this road 10 miles to FS
62 on the right. Turn right on FS 62 and go 4.4 miles to the
Beech Bottom Trailhead N34º 59.44’, W84º 35.28’. Hiking
experience recommended.

3 Jacks River Trail. This 16.5 mile long trail shown starting at
Dally Gap descends to Jacks River where there are a number
of river crossings, depending on how far you hike. These can
be dangerous at times of high, cold water. Better to stop at
the first river crossing and turn back. (I love it. Talk about a Buzz kill)
From Blue RIdge travel
3.9 miles north on Hwy 5 to Hwy 2 and go west until the road
turns into a gravel Forest Service road to Watson Gap. From
the four-way intersection at Watson Gap turn right and uphill
onto FS 22, then travel 3.4 miles to the trailhead at Dally Gap
N34º 56.00’, W84º 31.07’. The trail heads downhill past the
bulletin board. Hiking experience recommended.

Wayne

Ricky&Jack
06-13-2014, 09:16
I believe so. All I knew is its called "jacks river crossing".... I didn't know there was a difference between trail and falls. But I believe it is the trail.

Like I said, that area is confusing when it comes to maps. But I believe thats it. Due to all the rain, I still have 5-7 days to plan and find out for sure.

as for the shoes int he fire, I totally know now. But I didn't when i was there. It was my first overniter and when I got to Black Gap Sheleter, there was reminants of people who put their trash into the fire pit and burned it. So i added my shoes.

This was before I was familiar with "leave no trace" and the fact that sneakers don't disappear when you flame them. And I regret it.

(But my pack was 37lbs for my first overnighter. So I actually didn't re-think it when the idea to dispose of some weight in the fire came up.... But thats cause of my ignorance at the time). Wont happen again.

Venchka
06-13-2014, 10:36
Very good. Lesson learned.
You'll go far Grasshopper.

Wayne

TNhiker
06-13-2014, 10:43
But my pack was 37lbs for my first overnighter

shoot..............that about my weight for an overnighter every time i go out......

and dont even ask Tipi about his 85-100 pound pack he carries around............

meat803
06-18-2014, 01:50
Bud you are getting way ahead of yourself. Just take some old BS tennis shoes that you have and go on some easy hikes. You sound like you are not in a position to go pissing your money away on some shoes that you will get minimal use out of. Have some patience and wait. You want to hike now but in actuality you don't HAVE to. If you have to hide such a small sum of money from your family, it says you have been receiving help from people and they would be offended when you went out and bought something you didn't NEED. Either you feel guilty or don't want to interrupt the charity. Both reasons to not blow the money on shoes you will use a couple times and better used on food, gas, car insurance. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to give you some real and solid advice. Get your life in order, then spend money on hobbies. I would even forgo the hike this disability money is funding. But as an American you don't want to hear what you need to do and would rather hear what you want to do and face the consequences later. So here you go. Buy some cheap ass 40$ shoes, either hiking or cross trainer. Focus on comfort and weight. Then drop some change on quality wool socks and insoles. The socks and insoles will go a long way to make those cheap shoes comfortable and you will be able to transfer them to your next shoe purchase, retaining their value. Heck you could spend all your money on insoles and socks and no one would be the wiser.

rocketsocks
06-18-2014, 02:16
Bud you are getting way ahead of yourself. Just take some old BS tennis shoes that you have and go on some easy hikes. You sound like you are not in a position to go pissing your money away on some shoes that you will get minimal use out of. Have some patience and wait. You want to hike now but in actuality you don't HAVE to. If you have to hide such a small sum of money from your family, it says you have been receiving help from people and they would be offended when you went out and bought something you didn't NEED. Either you feel guilty or don't want to interrupt the charity. Both reasons to not blow the money on shoes you will use a couple times and better used on food, gas, car insurance. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to give you some real and solid advice. Get your life in order, then spend money on hobbies. I would even forgo the hike this disability money is funding. But as an American you don't want to hear what you need to do and would rather hear what you want to do and face the consequences later. So here you go. Buy some cheap ass 40$ shoes, either hiking or cross trainer. Focus on comfort and weight. Then drop some change on quality wool socks and insoles. The socks and insoles will go a long way to make those cheap shoes comfortable and you will be able to transfer them to your next shoe purchase, retaining their value. Heck you could spend all your money on insoles and socks and no one would be the wiser.I for one fully appreciate your candor, I think it comes from a good place. :)

Namtrag
06-18-2014, 06:07
You can find decent $40-50 trail shoes on the clymb or sierra trading post.

Starchild
06-18-2014, 09:43
What has worked reasonably well for me with water crossings is to remove my socks and insoles before any place where I know my trail runners (Cascadias) are going to get soaking wet. After the crossing, I take off the shoes, dry my feet, put on the dry socks, insert insoles, and proceed. Depending on humidity, the trail runners dry relatively quickly, or not at all. Of course, if it is raining hard, shoes and socks will get soaked no matter what you do. I never try to cross any streams barefoot. The risk is too high. Nor do I carry water shoes due to the added weight.

I have done the opposite sort of. I take my innersoles out and place them inside a pair of socks, then put those socks on my feet, making a pair of water shoes. After the crossing I use my other pair of dry socks and my boots w/o the innersoles till the innersoles dry.

I have also made many barefoot crossings.

Rain Man
06-18-2014, 09:55
... New balance makes an awesome trail shoe ....

Personally, I gotta agree. New Balance fit my feet like few other brands. I purchased a pair on sale at Bass Pro Shops/Outdoor World here in Nashville to use as water shoes on a hike with lots of stream crossings. As it turned out, on that hike I never switched out of them to my "real" hiking shoes, and have not looked back. Have worn them on many hikes since. Wore them last August to NH & ME and they did great. Now I'm looking for a new pair for a return trip with new treads.

The model I got was "679," however I was just told at our new Gander Mountain store that NB uses different model numbers for different stores.

Rain:sunMan

Gambit McCrae
06-18-2014, 10:05
Bottom line you get what you pay for. Salamon makes a great shoe and only run about 125

yerbyray
06-18-2014, 11:39
I wear your size and I am 6'1'' Large build with a few extra pounds to say the least.

I own Teva's, Keens, Sketchers, and Walmart specials http://www.walmart.com/ip/MENS-PERFORMANCE-CLOSED-TOE-SANDAL/34209752

To hike, play in the water, and kayak. the walmart ones are just fine and hold up rather well for a $20 shoe.

I agree that you do get what you pay for but there are many circumstances where you pay a premium for a name.