PDA

View Full Version : Questions about certain gear, and I'll probably have more later......

Different Socks
06-12-2014, 20:52
I've seen Frogg Toggs recommended by some people, but what I don't get is when I see them at the store, the bag they are in is so large. Do others actually manage to stuff such a large two pcs of gear into their packs?

Another thing I've been wondering: Based on the claims of some of the UL'ers on this website and the tiny packs they carry, how the hell do they manage to fit a bear canister into their pack AND all the rest of their gear?

Last question: I like to have pants to wear in camp. In the past they have been fleece, but they were bulky. Can anyone give me ideas on a good pair of pants for wear in camp to keep me warm, keep off the biting bugs and to wear after my daily shower, yet they are light weight and not bulky?

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 21:00
Don't people carry bear canisters on the outside? You can even strap it on the bottom.

That's the only question I can try to solve for ya.

rafe
06-12-2014, 21:01
Frogg Toggs are more bulky than thin sil-nylon, but not a whole lot worse than old-fashioned GoreTex. They double as an outer layer to wear at camp, if it's sufficiently cold. They breathe pretty well, but they also provide some warmth.

Ricky&Jack
06-12-2014, 21:02
I think this is a UL pack. 27391

Coffee
06-12-2014, 21:11
There are a number of different types of Frogg Toggs. I have the Dri Ducks rain suit. I only use the pants out of the set and they pack down quite small. I have a small sil nylon stuff sack and that goes in the front mesh pocket of my ULA Circuit.

MDSection12
06-12-2014, 21:22
The Frogg Toggs rain suit I have (the $20 one) folds flat and fits in the front pocket of my pack. Both the jacket and pants are less bulky (and lighter) than any other rain jacket I own... And as was said it doubles as an extra layer when it's cold or windy. I don't take it for warm or dry trips, but for cold wet trips it's well worth the bulk.

daddytwosticks
06-13-2014, 07:20
At times, I use a Dri-Ducks rain jacket, no pants. They pack down about the same size as regular rain jackets. I believe the original Frogg-Toggs are heavier and more bulky. As for camp pants, I use a pair of lightweight single-layer wind pants purchased at WalMart years ago. Serve all your stated goals except they are not very warm. :)

Gambit McCrae
06-13-2014, 08:26
I carry an Arcteryx Alpha LT, Im not sure that they make it anymore...its gortex single layer, pretty light for what I get out of it. No pants, in the summer if it rains, I take my shorts off and walk in my compressions

Dinendir
06-13-2014, 10:58
Can anyone give me ideas on a good pair of pants for wear in camp to keep me warm, keep off the biting bugs and to wear after my daily shower, yet they are light weight and not bulky?

Seriously??

HooKooDooKu
06-13-2014, 11:24
Can anyone give me ideas on a good pair of pants for wear in camp to keep me warm, keep off the biting bugs and to wear after my daily shower, yet they are light weight and not bulky?
This is one of the primary uses for my rain pants.

I generally hike in conditions where night time lows do not go below freezing. My clothing usually consists of shorts, t-shirt, rain jacket, rain pants, and toboggan; adding a warm jacket (or sweatshirt) if night time temperatures will be in the 30's or 40's. I'm almost always warm enough in just shorts, t-shirt, and rain jacket (or warm jacket... adding the toboggan on cold evenings). If my legs start to feel cold, or if I find I'm getting a lot of bug bites, I'll slip on the rain pants.

Because they act as excellent wind breakers, rain clothing is surprisingly warm for its weight.

Just Bill
06-13-2014, 11:27
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2305123

slbirdnerd
06-13-2014, 11:42
Where are you going that you need a bear canister? :confused: If it's the AT you might reconsider using one at all.

I have been taking a pair of wind pants/jogging pants to wear in camp or at night if I am cold. They are pretty light. I don't carry rain pants in summer, but if it were rainy and cold the wind pants might help in a pinch.

Different Socks
06-13-2014, 13:46
Yes, seriously. I carry a water bag with showerhead on it. Hang from a tree and a nice shower to get rid of the grit, gunk, some of the stink and anything else that has managed to stick to me over the course of 18--25 miles every day. If I don't take a shower, but there is a lake or pond, I jump into the water and clean myself up first before I even make dinner.

Different Socks
06-13-2014, 13:49
This website is not just about hiking the AT.