PDA

View Full Version : Remedy for repelling biting insects

TrippLite
06-13-2014, 01:11
Just curious what your solution or remedy is for providing effective protection from biting insects..

So, Georgia Power was at my house today repairing power line that the squirrels had been munching on, crazy critters ate 3/4 of way through the neutral leg causing my lights to continuously flicker and burnt 3 surge protectors. Anyways, the sand gnats and mosquitoes were quite vicious today as I live amongst many huge oaks and my backyard joins the salt water river, not to exclude it rained all last night so there was plenty of standing water and wet leaves on the ground. While talking with the power crew, they told me that Ga Power supplies its employees with a bug repellant called Jungle Rainbow and these guys swore by it.Claimed it was better than Deet, but from what I've read Jungle Rainbow is 25% Deet, supposedly provides 10 hours of protection... So if JR is better than DEET, then the DEET they refer to must have a lower deet percentage factor, right? Unless JR has another bug repelling ingredient that compliments the 25% Deet. As of now, I do use 30% DEET myself with fair results..
Anyone ever use Jungle Rainow? If so, any feedback?

http://www.comstarsupply.com/jungle-formula-insect-repellent-6-oz.html

Anyone use any of these natural remedies below...
If so, do any of them effectively work?
*Burn a little sage or rosemary over hot coals to repel mosquitoes.
*Rubbing the skin with baby oil or imitation vanilla extract repels biting insects such as mosquitoes and blackflies.
*Some people swear garlic works and swallow slivered garlic to ward off these summer pests. Others take garlic tablets or rub garlic juice directly on their skin.
*Some people have luck with high doses of vitamin B1 (100 milligrams, two or three times a day), but it doesn't work for everybody.
*Rub cider vinegar on your skin to repel insects. If you take in enough cider vinegar by putting it on foods you eat, you'll develop a body odor that will repel insects, including black flies.

I've given thought to purchasing a mosquito/bug jackets with the zippered hood. Does anyone have any experience with the anti-bug jacket or pants?
I do use a head net when needed while hunting in the Ga swamps but not crazy about them as I feel they can be hot at times, depending on the time of day and year, plus they distort vision.. So I was thinking the zippered hood bug jacket might work for me as I could have protection on my bare arms and use the hood only if needed. I like to hike in shorts so I am giving the pants consideration also. If nothing else I figure they would serve purpose around the camp at night when all the bugs come out to feed.

So yeah, please do share your thoughts of an effective solution to repelling biting bugs...
Yeah, I know... besides stay inside

Video of a dog wearing a bug jacket...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRDa_wzXbtM

Ricky&Jack
06-13-2014, 01:17
So yeah, please do share your thoughts of an effective solution to repelling biting bugs...
Yeah, I know... besides stay inside
27395 I like this.

rocketsocks
06-13-2014, 02:30
cra san thum mums in your hat band.

damn squirrels, interesting your handle is TrippLite, TrippLite.:) could be a sign:-?

Rocket Jones
06-13-2014, 06:00
If you use DEET, anything above 40% offers no extra protection. Some people find natural ingredients work for them, but for most of us, DEET works much better than anything else. No need to slather it on, just a light, thin coating will do the job.

Between DEET on bare skin and permethrin-treated clothes, I seldom have bugs land on me, let alone stick around long enough to bite.

Sapelo
06-13-2014, 07:23
I always fire the thermo-cell up while hunting Turkeys in SE GA. That is the only thing that stops the onslaught! I do have a hooded camo bug jacket from Cabelas that I use for Turkey Hunting; however, I hate wearing the hood as the fine mesh severely limits your vision. Unfortunately the mosquitoes were so bad along the Altamaha River this year that I had to wear it while walking through the swamps. While sitting I simply waited for the thermo-cell to kick in before I dared take the hood off. As far as backpacking/hiking goes I have always retreated to the tent when the mosquitoes get too unbearable or have simply kept on the move while wearing a head net.

peakbagger
06-13-2014, 07:35
I am curious if the product is similar to 3M Ultrathon , which has some sort of polymer in it so that the Deet stays on top of the skin so it last longer with a lower Deet percentage. I have found the Ultrathon lasts far longer than any other product. It was developed for the military and the claim is that it more effective than 100% DEET.

The Cleaner
06-13-2014, 08:15
My problem with any insect repellant, is that I sweat so much that there is no way to keep it on without constantly applying it. I haven't bought any in 25 years. I just use a headnet for the biting gnats. The best way to avoid all flying creatures is to avoid hiking late June till September here near Hot Springs. I worked outside for almost 30 years and sweating all day without getting paid for it is not fun anymore. I'd rather risk any cold weather problem than suffer from warm weather problems.

Ricky&Jack
06-13-2014, 09:09
ever hear of agent orange? I saw videos on the history channel. It seemed to work

meat803
06-13-2014, 11:33
I live in Augusta where the gnats are pretty crazy along with a good ration of skeeters. I have had good success with the natural types which contain eucalyptus, lemon grass, citronella etc etc. My buddy at work swears by vanilla extract to keep the gnats away. When I was in the Marine Corps in Beaufort SC we used Skin So Soft for the sand fleas. It worked remarkable well for sand fleas and everyone had a bottle.

slbirdnerd
06-13-2014, 11:47
Permethrin treated clothes and a hat or ball cap with a brim. If it gets real bad I'll use Deet but haven't had to much.

Dogwood
06-13-2014, 13:04
Here's what's in it. http://www.rainbowtech.net/products/docs/c4ca4238607d9af3fd7/4501%20MSDS.pdf.pdf I would be asking myself what the other two pesticides are(MGK -...???) and if you are OK placing these, DEET, and liquefied petroleum gas directly on your skin? Consider, up to 17 % of DEET, which is in the toluene family(some nasty hazardous family of chemicals to the human body that's also in rubber and plastic cements and in petroleum products) is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream alone. Even IF I was to use DEET I would not apply it directly to my skin. Others feel the potential consequences of not slathering yourself in something like DEET and getting a mosquito or tick borne disease warrant the use of DEET in this way. So what do I do? I take a multi prong multi product multi technique approach to avoiding/minimizing mosquito, gnat, chigger, and tick bites. In high tick infestation areas I'll spray Permerthrin or Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellants on my shoes, cuff of pants, shirt sleeve cuff of shirts, hat etc. I will allow Lemon Eucalyptus Repellant on my skin. I'll apply a 48 hr transdermal Don't Bite Me Patch on a rear cheek that works by me absorbing Vitamin B1 and aloe vera in the patch into my body that repels the scents mosquitos and some gnats are attracted to in my breath(carbon dioxide) and sweat(ammonia). I'll wear a headnet during summer in places like the Sierras, Everglades, Oregon, etc when the mosquitos are ravenous while also wearing very light wt long sleeved desert type shirt and/or pants although I'm more of a hiker who enjoys wearing running shorts and T shirt. At camp I'll light some cone or stick incense. Although not a major contributor or sole repellant, I believe the essential oils(thyme, rosemary, peppermint, oregano, lavender, etc) and things like shea butter and olive oil that are in my lip balm and Bert's Bees Res-Q-Ointment as well as the ingedients in my Tiger Balm act as insect repellants. For example, when I've run out of Permerthrin or Lemon Eucalyptus repellants on a few occasions I've coated my neck and ears with these products noticing the insects avoid biting me in those places. Perhaps, it's a combination of the insects not liking the smell and also not wanting to land where their feet get stuck in something sticky to them like shea butter, olive oil, etc. Perhaps, that's why some folks have said SkinSoSoft works at repelling insects for them. And, yes, I do take a clove of garlic and usually a small onion on the trail but that's more for other reasons rather thasn just an insect repellant. Garlic, for example, is a very good anti-bacterial, slight antiseptic, and I believe makes my intestinal tract less habitable for any water borne pathogens I might accidentally ingest. BTW, full nanoseum body suits are available. I thought they looked ridiculous on a person when I first saw a person hiking wearing one but I now understand they can work.

RockDoc
06-14-2014, 18:37
Permetherin works. We used it in Maine in June/July and were able to walk in shorts/short sleeve shirt.
Much superior to DEET. Soak your clothes/gear in dilute permetherin water, then launder. We even did it to our tent, packs, gaitors, bandanas...

TrippLite
06-14-2014, 22:51
27395 I like this.

Haha...I prefer the Sgt Swat fly swatter, cheap in price and meets military specs.

If you use DEET, anything above 40% offers no extra protection. Some people find natural ingredients work for them, but for most of us, DEET works much better than anything else. No need to slather it on, just a light, thin coating will do the job.
Between DEET on bare skin and permethrin-treated clothes, I seldom have bugs land on me, let alone stick around long enough to bite.

Likewise RJ, this is the combo I have found that works best for me so far. Interested in trying some of the natural alternatives also. It would be nice if I could find an alternative that actually works for me and I didn't have to apply repellent to exposed skin. What works for some may not work for others however due to our body chemistry.

I always fire the thermo-cell up while hunting Turkeys in SE GA. That is the only thing that stops the onslaught! I do have a hooded camo bug jacket from Cabelas that I use for Turkey Hunting; however, I hate wearing the hood as the fine mesh severely limits your vision. Unfortunately the mosquitoes were so bad along the Altamaha River this year that I had to wear it while walking through the swamps. While sitting I simply waited for the thermo-cell to kick in before I dared take the hood off..

I've always thought the therma cells were a myth per hearsay.. Some of my worse encounters with mosquitos and gnats have been while hunting and camping the swamps of Ft Stewart and the Altamaha. So thats a eye opening claim. I may have to purchase one and throw in the toolbox and try it out the next time I am tailgating...

I am curious if the product is similar to 3M Ultrathon , which has some sort of polymer in it so that the Deet stays on top of the skin so it last longer with a lower Deet percentage. I have found the Ultrathon lasts far longer than any other product. It was developed for the military and the claim is that it more effective than 100% DEET.
I wonder if this is the same

Looks like 3M has their hand in everything.I love 3Ms brand sandpaper and Finesse It polish was my choice at one time in auto finishing polishes. I will say the lotion I used when in the military worked great for me. Not sure if it was the 3M Ultrathon or the Sawyers Ultra 30 as it was in a green tube w/o branding, just NSN. I'm thinking it is 3M though as they have had a contract supplying their repellant to the military since 1969. It seems the military has added more products to its insect repellant system as can be seen by clicking here. (http://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Resource%20Library/DoD_Insect_Repellent_System_FS_18-009-0214.pdf)

ever hear of agent orange? I saw videos on the history channel. It seemed to work

Yep, I've heard of it.. Agent Orange is banned in the USA due to its horrific effects on humans ( cancer, birth defects,etc ). U S military sprayed vegetation in Vietnam the size of Massachusetts in effort to kill off the vegetation to expose the Vietnamese. A O is still present in the soils and waters. Joint efforts have been conducted recently between the Vietnamese and U S to cleanup A O in populated areas.

I live in Augusta where the gnats are pretty crazy along with a good ration of skeeters. I have had good success with the natural types which contain eucalyptus, lemon grass, citronella etc etc. My buddy at work swears by vanilla extract to keep the gnats away. When I was in the Marine Corps in Beaufort SC we used Skin So Soft for the sand fleas. It worked remarkable well for sand fleas and everyone had a bottle.

Yeah, I remember Skin So Soft by Avon, the ex-wife used to buy it back in the day, it works... I never could adapt to the smell, plus as I recall it was greasy and the smell would make me nauseated. I noticed they are stocking Gnat Armor in Walgreens and convenient stores here locally. My initial impressions were not good, however it works if you practically bathe in it but only last for a few hours and too greasy for my liking. Active ingredient is citronella.
I like the smell of vanilla and the gnats are bad where I live. I'm going to try the vanilla extract around the house when working, lounging in the yard or fishing off the dock

I'll spray or Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellants on my shoes, cuff of pants, shirt sleeve cuff of shirts, hat etc. I will allow Lemon Eucalyptus Repellant on my skin. I'll apply a 48 hr transdermal Don't Bite Me Patch on a rear cheek that works by me absorbing Vitamin B1 and aloe vera in the patch into my body that repels the scents mosquitos and some gnats are attracted to in my breath(carbon dioxide) and sweat(ammonia). .

After researching, I'm interested in trying the Lemon Eucalyptus Repellant and Don't Bite Me Patch on my next camping outing. Since I soak my outdoor clothing and gear in Permethrin already, I think I will try the patch by itself first. I've read and viewed videos online that say the key is having extra /excessive B1 in your bloodstream so if a you're a drinker, smoker or heavy person,2 patches may be needed. Thanks for posting DW, I've heard of the patch before but this is the first credible testimony of its performance. Of course my deet will come along also should this method not work for me

Not hiking or camping related but I've found that when using Maui Babe suntan lotion no bugs bite me while others around me are getting slaughtered by them. Smells like coffee and super greasy but works great for tanning outdoors and repelis bugs at the same time

TrippLite
06-14-2014, 23:53
cra san thum mums in your hat band.

damn squirrels, interesting your handle is TrippLite, TrippLite.:) could be a sign:-?

Okay RS,
this is good, I missed the jest at first, it took me reading back through all the posts again while replying, until now I didn't understand what cra san thum mums meant...
I get it now, its Jersey talk for the flower chrysanthemum, which is an active ingredient in Permethrin.

Yeah thats a funny observation, the name TrippLite is kinda fitting under the circumstances...

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2014, 09:49
http://bugbaffler.com/collections/specialtyhttp://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0399/8881/products/eventpancho800x1200_large.jpg?v=1397307493

TrippLite the home remedies have no science behind them, stick to tried and proven products such as 3M Ultrathon and Permethrin. Proven means tested and retested science in the field and in the lab by scientists. Home Remedies and non chemical solutions will land you sick as a dog with Lyme disease, loss of blood or worse.

As for your backyard -contact a local professional company and have Talstar or Mavrik applied to the underside of the bushes around the home monthly for the next six months. It will greatly reduce the female mosquitos that are waiting for a blood meal. IT will knock down the ticks and other crawling insects.

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2014, 09:56
National Briefing | Southwest Texas: Mosquito Spraying Shows Results By MANNY FERNANDEZ (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/f/manny_fernandez/index.html) Published: September 5, 2012 The New York Times

State health officials said Wednesday that the death toll from West Nile virus (http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/west-nile-virus/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier) continues to rise, but they were encouraged by data that suggested the virus had peaked in the Dallas area. The mosquito-borne disease has sickened hundreds of people there and killed 13. A recent spraying operation in the area appeared to reduce the population of mosquitoes. Officials said the insects had declined by 93 percent in places that received two consecutive nights of spraying. Nationwide, 1,993 cases have been reported, including 87 deaths, a 25 percent increase over last week’s numbers. In Texas, there have been 1,113 cases, including 40 deaths, the most fatalities of any state.

Snowleopard
06-15-2014, 10:23
This bug suit is used in the Arctic where mosquitoes are awful during the short summer:
http://www.bugshirt.com/ (http://www.bugshirt.com/)
It seems a bit heavy and hot for summer use on the AT.

The military uses permethrin treated clothes with Ultrathon on exposed skin. Ultrathon seems to be a sort of time release version of DEET (lasts longer) and there are probably versions of it besides 3M's by now.

I have a little of an REI insect repellent with DEET and the two MGK chemicals; my recollection is that the MGK r326 is supposed to work better on flies, including black flies. I haven't carefully tested that.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-22-2014, 01:05
I always fire the thermo-cell up while hunting Turkeys in SE GA. That is the only thing that stops the onslaught! I do have a hooded camo bug jacket from Cabelas that I use for Turkey Hunting; however, I hate wearing the hood as the fine mesh severely limits your vision. Unfortunately the mosquitoes were so bad along the Altamaha River this year that I had to wear it while walking through the swamps. While sitting I simply waited for the thermo-cell to kick in before I dared take the hood off. As far as backpacking/hiking goes I have always retreated to the tent when the mosquitoes get too unbearable or have simply kept on the move while wearing a head net.

I swear by my ThermaCell in NC during bow season and early rifle season (late AUG-mid OCT). I had a doe walk up to 20 feet away from me, so I know the smell wasn't off-putting.

When I was stationed in Hawaii and latervdeployed to Haiti, where the mosquitos were RUTHLESS, a Coughlans mosquito coil worked wonders. Smelled, but worked like a charm. Burned one in the hooch in Haiti and had at least 20 dead skeeters on the floor the next morning.

A ThermaCell isnt practical for hiking (not now at least). I use only permethrin-treated clothes, treat my pack, tent,, and sleeping bag, and use 3M Ultrathon 34% DEET. Here's hopingmit keeps EVERYTHING at bay.

That being said I'd rather have 10 mosquito bites than ONE tick on me. Sounds like an even tradeoff to me.

Wise Old Owl
06-22-2014, 02:10
I find this interesting as I didn't think hunters would adopt Termacell.

rocketsocks
06-22-2014, 09:27
Okay RS,
this is good, I missed the jest at first, it took me reading back through all the posts again while replying, until now I didn't understand what cra san thum mums meant...
I get it now, its Jersey talk for the flower chrysanthemum, which is an active ingredient in Permethrin.

Yeah thats a funny observation, the name TrippLite is kinda fitting under the circumstances...But like Woo mentions, I use the tried and true active ingredient, Permethrin, works great. And no self respecting thread about bug bite prevention can be complete without talking about what to do once you do get bit...I use this stuff (http://www.rei.com/product/787265/afterbite-outdoor-itch-treatment) on trail, works pretty good. At home I just use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, if I catch a bite soon enough and apply the aforementioned, the sting and itching is gone within an hour. Most folks infect there bites with germs around the finger nails and scratching.