PDA

View Full Version : Setup Cost

Gray Bear
06-14-2014, 08:17
I'm a ground dweler thinking about a hammock setup. I've got a decent light weight 3 season setup now (6'6" 20 deg down bag @ 2lbs and a 26 oz one person tent with an 8 oz pad). My question is cant I get down to this weight with a hammock setup and be comfortble down into the low 30's? what kind of money should I be ready to invest? Thanks in advance.

gunner76
06-14-2014, 08:57
Go to HammockForums.net which deals in all things related to hammocks.

Also find a group hang in your area and attend it. Tenters are welcome at most group hangs and the hangers will be happy to show off their rigs and explain how it all goes together.

Hammock = Tent
Tarp = Tent Fly
Pad = UQ
Sleeping Bag = TQ

Overall you will probably not save weight by switching to a hammock, what you will gain is a better nights sleep. My only complaint is having to get up in the AM to answers natures call when I am sleeping so good.

You can spend as little as $30 for a hammock. For a really good hammock like a Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 or 1.7 Double layer ( depending on how much your weight) you will spend $175. The XLC version which is a foot longer will run you about $200. ( I mostly use a 1.1 and 1.7 double BB. The wife uses a 1.0 double BB, no longer made)

PapaSmurf at Dream Hammocks also makes some great hammocks along the the same price range. Lots of other vendors to choose from

While you can use your pad, once you get a UQ (Under Quilt) you will agree that the UQ is much more comfortable. A good UQ from Arrowhead like a Jarbrige will cost about $100 and up if you upgrade it with more insulation ( this is a Apex Clamshield synthetic UQ ). Also consider a down UQ from Hammock Gear, Underground Quilts, Wilderness Logics and expect to spend around $200 for one rated to the 20 degree range. Do not skimp on the UQ. I use both down and Synthetic UQs and TQs

You can use your sleeping bag as a Top Quilt ( TQ ). My wife has a 40 year old Snow Lion Sleeping bag she uses as a TQ when it is cold.

A good hammock tarp from Sylnylon will start about $110 for a good one weighing about 15 ounces. If you can afford it a tarp made from Cuben Fiber will weigh about 8 oz but cost close to $400. I own and use both types of tarps.

It has taken me several years to get the gear as like most of us I would do my research to find out what my choices were and the pros and cons of said gear, attended group hangs to learn what others were using and how and why, talk/ask question of the vendors, wait for the vendors to have sales and or buy used gear.

welcome to the madness

gunner76
06-14-2014, 09:01
Also the lowest temps I have been out in is 18 degrees in my hammock and the record this winter was set at -40 by some cold loving hammock hangers.

Gray Bear
06-14-2014, 09:15
Thanks for all the great info. I'm 6'1" and 240# and I'd hate to end up on the ground in the middle of the night so I guess I should be looking at double layer huh? I'm not too worried about picking up a little weight if its that much more comfortable. I hike the Whites in NH mostly so finding level ground here is always challenging.

I've got a bunch of cash invested in my setup and the thought of selling it to try this out and maybe finding out its not for me is n ot a road I want to go down. A group hang sounds like a great idea. where does one find info on these events?

Ricky&Jack
06-14-2014, 10:08
here. Skeeter bester Pro. http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/skeeter-beeter-pro
Built in Mosquito net.
holds 400 lbs
$79.99 average price.

Also, you can probably walk into a good hiking supply store and pick this up, without having to buy online. (my local academy sports doesn't have them. But if you find a place that sells hiking backpacks etc, they probably have these)

dla
06-14-2014, 12:25
Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7 hammock, straps & buckles, ~$175, ~40oz
Hammock Gear 3 Season Incubator full-length under-quilt. ~$240, ~18oz
(not shown cause it's inside the hammock) Warbonnet Black Mamba Long & Wide 3 Season Top Quilt, ~$275, ~24oz
Warbonnet BigMambaJamba Tarp with pullouts, ~$120, ~12oz

Likeapuma
06-14-2014, 12:37
Thanks for all the great info. I'm 6'1" and 240# and I'd hate to end up on the ground in the middle of the night

I've got a bunch of cash invested in my setup and the thought of selling it to try this out and maybe finding out its not for me is n ot a road I want to go down. A group hang sounds like a great idea. where does one find info on these events?

I'm 6'3", 300lbs+ and I've never worried about falling out. I have a 1.7 double layer Warbonnet Blackbird, no regrets!

A group hang is a good idea, I know there are regional ones a few times a year... Info would be on HammockForums, a treasure trove of hammock information!

Old_Man
06-14-2014, 16:33
I have a Hennessy Hammock, which is sort of a joke among the real hard-core hangers. I recently invested in a nice Eureka Solitaire because I wanted to try out sleeping on the ground but I can say that the hammock is ten times more comfortable. I need to update my setup though. I don't have any sort of under quilt so sleeping in temps below 70 degrees F is almost impossible/very uncomfortable. I just wish the cost of a basic setup wasn't so high--I was looking into making my own gear for a long time which is evidently pretty popular with the hammock crowd. I just haven't found a pattern for an underquilt that I think I can follow with my limited (non-existent) sewing skills.

gunner76
06-14-2014, 22:35
Hammock Gear 3 Season Incubator full-length under-quilt. ~$240, ~18oz

I have a FL UQ but I rarely use it. 99% of the time my 3/4 length 20 degree Phoenix or 3 Season Jarbrige are plenty warm and save some weight and $$ over a FL UQ.

IMO the limiting factor on which hammock to use is
-weight capacity limit on hammock - I have some hammocks that I can not use as I am too heavy for them but are great for the wife
-length - depending on how tall you are you may need a 11 foot long hammock to be comfortable. My wife and I both use Black Bird Hammocks and while her hammock and mine are the same length, she ( 5ft 3 ) can can turn completely around inside of hers which I ( 6ft 2 ) can not. I also have other hammocks which will hold my weight but are to short or narrow to be comfortable.
-Bug net - if you camp out in a buggy area you need a bug net, integrated nets are great ( and help to keep the gear inside the hammock ) but you can also use a separate bug net.

Hennessy Hammock, which is sort of a joke among the real hard-core hangers

Don't know why you think that. I have seen plenty of them in use at group hangs.

I just wish the cost of a basic setup wasn't so high

Like most gear...buy cheap and replace often or buy good quality and rarely replace.

On the DIY side...once you factor in the cost of the materials and the cost of your time to make UQ ( or TQ, hammock ect ) you rarely save money. You do have the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself and how to fix it if something happens to it ( says the person who has DIY many many hammocks and a TQ )

my limited (non-existent) sewing skills

Start with some easy projects like stuff sacks and or camping pillows. You can always them, they are easy to make and you learn a lot from making them. Also check your local Comunity / Tech School and or local sewing stores to see if they offer sewing classes. I signed up the wife and me for a beginners sewing class at our local community college. I was the first male student the instructor ever had. First day of class she said she only had fabric for ladies ( lots of pretty floral prints ). Told her no problem and pulled out my roll of Camo. Got a good laugh from the ladies in the class

A group hang sounds like a great idea. where does one find info on these events?

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?44-Hangouts-Campouts-and-Trip-Planning

Skeeter bester Pro.

Just make sure it is the Pro model. The older version can still be found for sale on discount sites and is much shorter and only holds about 250 lbs.

OCDave
06-14-2014, 23:25
Gray Bear,

An example of a set-up you might enjoy:
Hammock- WildernessLogics LiteOwl- $125 including tree straps and Whoopie slings, ~ 20 oz
Bug Net- BIAS NanoBuginator- $80, ~ 7 oz
Tarp- Warbonnet Outdoors Edge- $85, ~ 11 oz
Top quilt- (omit and use your sleeping bag to keep costs down) -Hammock Gear 40* Burrow- $220, ~12 oz
Underquilt- Hammock gear 40* Phoenix - $160, ~12 oz

Total ~$700 and just under 4 lbs. Good used gear changes hands frequently so if you know what you want and have a bit of patience you can save a bit. At your size, I would strongly encourage you to stick with 11' hammocks (length for me = comfort).

Good Luck

BuckeyeBill
06-14-2014, 23:42
I have a Hennessy Hammock, which is sort of a joke among the real hard-core hangers. I recently invested in a nice Eureka Solitaire because I wanted to try out sleeping on the ground but I can say that the hammock is ten times more comfortable. I need to update my setup though. I don't have any sort of under quilt so sleeping in temps below 70 degrees F is almost impossible/very uncomfortable. I just wish the cost of a basic setup wasn't so high--I was looking into making my own gear for a long time which is evidently pretty popular with the hammock crowd. I just haven't found a pattern for an underquilt that I think I can follow with my limited (non-existent) sewing skills.

Check out Ray Jardine's site for a under quilt kit, usually pretty cheap and easy to follow directions.

To the OP here is a list of my kit with prices
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double with Whoopie Slings $185.00 27 oz.
Warbonnet 3 Season Yeti 20º Under Quilt (Down Filled) $190.00 12.5 oz.
Warbonnet Black Mamba Long/Wide 20º Top Quilt (Down Filled) $285.00 23 oz
Hammock Gear Standard Cuben Fiber Tarp with Doors 11' Ridgeline Camo Print $340.00 6.5 oz.
ENO Atlas Suspension System $29.95 11 oz.

I know a lot of cash laid out, but I get a great night's sleep for not much weight. YMMV HYOH

Gray Bear
06-21-2014, 05:34
Gray Bear,

An example of a set-up you might enjoy:
Hammock- WildernessLogics LiteOwl- $125 including tree straps and Whoopie slings, ~ 20 oz
Bug Net- BIAS NanoBuginator- $80, ~ 7 oz
Tarp- Warbonnet Outdoors Edge- $85, ~ 11 oz
Top quilt- (omit and use your sleeping bag to keep costs down) -Hammock Gear 40* Burrow- $220, ~12 oz
Underquilt- Hammock gear 40* Phoenix - $160, ~12 oz

Total ~$700 and just under 4 lbs. Good used gear changes hands frequently so if you know what you want and have a bit of patience you can save a bit. At your size, I would strongly encourage you to stick with 11' hammocks (length for me = comfort).

Good Luck

It looks like this setup weights over a pound less than my setup (62oz vs.82oz) . The only difference being my kit would be a bit warmer. I'm comfortable down to 15 deg with this setup. I've got some serious money wrapped up in this rig (for me anyway) and I'm pretty happy with the veritillity of it. Its a solid 3 season setup with lots of room, the bag is 65" at the shoulder and the pad is 25" wide. The weather in the Whites can change pretty quickly and be radicaly different over the corse of say a 3 night trip so its nice having some range in my setup, but its a real bitch trying to find a piece of flat ground to setup on and I'm hearing that a well setup hammock is super comfortable. I'd love to shave some weight and increase comfort, but like all good gear it aint cheap! I could use my bag for awhile but what about my pad, would that work in a hammock?

WM Alpinlite w/overfill 36oz
Thermarest XTherm (25"x77) 20oz
TT Notch 26 oz

OCDave
06-21-2014, 07:26
My first hammock, tarp and bug net were purchased as the ENO One-Link package for less than $200. I used my synthetic NF Cat's Meow and REI Thermarest clone for insulation for over a year. While not as comfortable as my current set-up, it was more comfortable than sleeping on uneven ground. My cheap set-up paved the way for a significant investment later.

There are lots of cheaper hammock and insulation options. Start with a hammock and the equipment you've got to determine if you want to spend more. You may find it is not worth the investment.

Good Luck

The Old Boot
06-21-2014, 15:09
It looks like this setup weights over a pound less than my setup (62oz vs.82oz) . The only difference being my kit would be a bit warmer. I'm comfortable down to 15 deg with this setup. I've got some serious money wrapped up in this rig (for me anyway) and I'm pretty happy with the veritillity of it. Its a solid 3 season setup with lots of room, the bag is 65" at the shoulder and the pad is 25" wide. The weather in the Whites can change pretty quickly and be radicaly different over the corse of say a 3 night trip so its nice having some range in my setup, but its a real bitch trying to find a piece of flat ground to setup on and I'm hearing that a well setup hammock is super comfortable. I'd love to shave some weight and increase comfort, but like all good gear it aint cheap! I could use my bag for awhile but what about my pad, would that work in a hammock?

WM Alpinlite w/overfill 36oz
Thermarest XTherm (25"x77) 20oz
TT Notch 26 oz

Some hangers are quite content to continue using their sleeping bags, either as a true sleeping bag or open as a top quilt.

As to the pad, once again, some hangers never move to an UQ. Most (not all) of those who continue to use their pad do so by putting it between layers of a double hammock so it tends to stay in place better. The other trick is to only partially inflate it.

Seriously, head on over to hammockforums.net and start exploring. Be prepared to spend hours reading and researching. That and attend a group hang where you can see all kinds of different set-ups.

Theosus
06-21-2014, 23:15
I have two hammocks... a Hennessy for summer (bug net) and an ENO single for the winter (no bug net). I use the Hennessy large tarp for both hammocks, as it has its own ridge line. Love both hammocks, although the ENO is nicer to lug around because its smaller and lighter. I use one of two under quilts. My 0* hammock gear down one feels great. My 40* synthetic one (home made) works very well, too in somewhat warmer temps. I spent the night a few weeks back in SC with NO under quilt. It got down to about 65 at night, and I just laid on top of my quilt liner. It was enough to keep me warm, despite some wind, and the fact it poured all night. I have a north face cats meow 20* synthetic bag, but I mainly use my 20* top quilt from hammock gear. in cold weather, the combo of the top quilt and bottom quilt work just like a sleeping bag. Very warm and comfortable... and lighter than a sleeping bag and under quilt. You can use a pad in a hammock, but you'll likely love the UQ better!

I wouldn't switch to a hammock just to save weight. I don't know anyone who has. The hammock stuff weighs about the same as a tent, and my stuff seems bulkier than some of my tent friends. But I'll gladly take the bulk and/or weight in exchange for the good sleep I get. Plus, there's the versatility of campsites. Our last outing, I picked two nice trees on a slope a tent would never have used, freeing up camping space for the tenters.

Hammock Forums will tell you more than you ever needed to know about hammocks.

Austin316
09-10-2014, 19:22
Thanks for the info guys... looking at getting into hammocks as well. I will check out Hammock Forums!

Just Bill
09-11-2014, 17:07
Lotta folks interested in the evangelical calls to the rapture that is hammock hanging...
It can be nice, don't get me wrong- but before you buy lots of gear...

Hit one of the group hangs if you can- excellent suggestion.

To answer the OP- you can cut weight off your setup, period. You could swap your tent for this setup and save 13 oz- use your current pad/bag.
For an idea of about the best you can do and what it costs- old thread but still pretty accurate cost-wise.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?20614-Full-hammock-Setup-for-13-oz-and-360

OR you can try it out for cheap-

Make one. It's easy as can be- you don't need a sewing machine.- Cost- about $30
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?62832-DIY-Tablecloth-Hammock-(the-way-I-do-it)
You can also buy this from amazon- but new sew method.

Or- get a coupon for Jo-ann- buy ten feet of ripstop nylon (1.9 oz), hem the edges and make a channel for the ends.- Cost if you get it on sale- About $15 with tax.

Scared of all that cord- me too. I just used plain old 550 Paracord. I weigh 210lbs, my kid weighs 35. We've been in it together no problem. Yes- it will stretch a bit overnight, but before you buy Amsteel, Zing-it, who's it, or some other special cord- Paracord will get you through a weekend or a few weeks at home to see if you like it. Don't even need any special knots or do-dads from Dutch.

Your plain old sleeping pad (foamie or regular thermarest is best- heavily deflated Neo-air works in a pinch) and your ground dwelling sleeping bag will work fine.

Been playing with it some- but to the best of my knowledge- you cannot hang lighter than you can lay on the ground. You may be more comfy in the air though. Hard to tell without trying it out though. Good sleep is worth the money and hassle.

To Anybody-
The holy grail of sleeping- all in- 34 oz (or so) into the 30's
Shelter, insulation, pad, weather protection, etc.
8 oz. pad, 16 oz sleeping bag, 12 oz tarp with fixins and ground cloth/bug net- or any combination needed.

Yes you can do better- but you give up too much too site selection, comfort, time, etc.
So those are the limitations- follow LNT, set up quickly, in as many locations as possible, in a reasonable timeframe (15min)
Needs to be weather worthy too- crawling up in the fetal position under a space blanket works- but not for more than a night. So true bivy style cowboy camping is pushing the rules IMO. So is pruning and hunting for the perfect natural pad and leaving one at home. Avoid "stupid light"

For example-
I can build a pretty sweet debris hut for about 14g of carried weight- but not really the point...

I'd be interested to learn what the hangers are up to...

overthinker
09-17-2014, 11:24
Going to a group hang really is the best advice you can get - every hammock has a different feel, and the cottage vendors all use different materials. I have a fancy Dream Hammock Thunderbird made from a single layer of 1.6 Argon fabric. That same hammock would feel differently if I had gotten it made with 1.6 HyperD fabric. Before dropping the cash, it's best to try some things out. And, if you ask nicely enough, I'm sure someone on the forum will have a spare rig (or 2...or 20) you can spend a night in at the hang to see if you really like this stuff.

Personally, and I'm definitely not alone here, the major benefit to hanging is for the consistency of sleep. Wherever I hang, I'm able to replicate my lay from night to night to night. No weird hills that leave you crumpled at the bottom of your tent, or soggy butt from rain, or rocks and sticks keeping you awake all night. There's a lot of sleep science that points to routine as being an important factor to having a restful nights sleep and, for us hangers, the hammock is the best way to make that happen in the field.