PDA

View Full Version : looking for Mark twain quote on the attitude within...

DavidNH
09-29-2005, 20:43
HI,

A few days back I read somewhere on white blaze some one quoting from Mark Twain something to the affect "...whats ahead and behind is far less important than what is within..." I read it when at work but when back home can't find it. I have tried searches and everything no lunck. I need to find this and put it up on wall it is so good! The quote said so succinctly the importance of the head and heart in completeing a challenge like a thru hike.

I think it was in a thread relating to the aldha gathering this October but I am not sure.

Can some one please help? some one must remember reading this quote!!

David

Roland
09-29-2005, 21:11
HI,

A few days back I read somewhere on white blaze some one quoting from Mark Twain something to the affect "...whats ahead and behind is far less important than what is within..." I read it when at work but when back home can't find it. I have tried searches and everything no lunck. I need to find this and put it up on wall it is so good! The quote said so succinctly the importance of the head and heart in completeing a challenge like a thru hike.

I think it was in a thread relating to the aldha gathering this October but I am not sure.

Can some one please help? some one must remember reading this quote!!

David Is this what you were looking for?

As Mark Twain says:

"What lies before you & what lies behind you pales insignificant when compared to what lies within you. 20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

I wish I had heard / listened to that when I was your age. For it is now over "20 years from now" for me. I have had a good life, but, , , It would have been easier to hike 2,000 miles at 21 than at 51.

Doctari. Taken from: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10422&highlight=twain

DavidNH
09-29-2005, 21:26
Roland You found it thank you so much!

I am going to print this out and post it somewhere..It is such good wisdom. This is the sort of thinking that will help me when I thru hike next spring...(and I tell folks that I am going to do a thru hike as opposed to attempt one even though it is my first real hiking challenge because I think it sounds better and lays out a more thourough commitment and better mind set!!!

David

Doctari
09-30-2005, 06:23
Roland You found it thank you so much!

I am going to print this out and post it somewhere..It is such good wisdom. This is the sort of thinking that will help me when I thru hike next spring...(and I tell folks that I am going to do a thru hike as opposed to attempt one even though it is my first real hiking challenge because I think it sounds better and lays out a more thourough commitment and better mind set!!!

David

There are many more inspirational (& other) quotes on the forums, go to "straight forward" & scroll down to "favorite quotes"

Doctari.