PDA

View Full Version : Moose Goo Taste Test!

trailtosummit
06-15-2014, 15:57
I've been wanting to try Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo for a while so I made four different varieties to try out. Check it out here: http://www.trailtosummit.com/2014/06/moose-goo-four-different-ways.html

Do any of you use something similar? Looking for something like this to use on the JMT in July.

Dogwood
06-15-2014, 17:07
Sounds like some great concoctions. I like the one with almond butter. Personally, I would substitute shredded coconut flakes and almond flour/meal or coconut flour for the corn flour. It would raise the fat content and cals/oz ratio. Too get an even higher protein content I would add to all that hemp protein or chia seed. http://www.bobsredmill.com/almond-meal-flour.html

trailtosummit
06-15-2014, 21:43
Personally, I would substitute shredded coconut flakes and almond flour/meal or coconut flour for the corn flour. It would raise the fat content and cals/oz ratio. Too get an even higher protein content I would add to all that hemp protein or chia seed. http://www.bobsredmill.com/almond-meal-flour.html

I agree! I only had whole wheat flour on hand but I think coconut flour would be good and chia or some flax seed would be a nice addition. I'm going to keep my nutella plain. I can't deviate from its original state! :)

Dogwood
06-15-2014, 22:19
Sesame seed would work too. Found in bulk bins at Whole Foods for about $3/lb. That price buys a lot of sesame seed! It's high in calcium. You could use these squeezable tubes too. They have a wide mouth(easier to fill and keep clean!), unscrewable caps that close TIGHT(IMPORTANT!), and come in different sizes and see through colors. I've seen them in Harmon's Beauty Stores, REI, WalMart, etc in 3 oz individual tubes for about $2.99. They are perfect for nut butters or what you have going on here. http://www.humangear.com/gotoob/ You might consider tahini which is sesame seed paste too that you'll find in the international food aisle in many large grocery stores. Indeed, Peanut Butter IS definitely NOT the only thing available and suitable for backpacking that could be put into one of these squeezable tubes at resupply stops. I like your creativity!

rafe
06-15-2014, 22:21
Anything made of sesame seeds is good. If you haven't ever eaten Halvah, you're missing a treat.

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 01:16
Look forward to trying this...I know this stuff is sticky, but does the flour make it not as tenacious? is that the idea behind it? Kinda like adding Carnuba wax to candy bars and such.

VTATHiker
06-19-2014, 04:04
This is the first that I've heard of Moose Goo, but after reading about it I am pumped to give it a try. Thanks!!

urbansix
06-19-2014, 06:51
I've made this before, and have just completed a batch for an upcoming 4-day section in the Smokies. To me it tastes just like peanut butter Power Bars.
Last time it proved too thick for the Coughlans squeeze tubes... it sort of worked but was difficult and eventually broke the tubes. Not sure what I'm going to do this time, maybe a plastic peanut butter jar, or just portioned in ziplok snack baggies.

Eaten with tortillas.

urbansix
06-19-2014, 06:56
Edit to add - for some reason I had to add a lot of flour beyond what the recipe called for. Maybe 30% more (3 cups instead of 2). At room temperature it just never properly firmed up. Don't remember doing this the last time. Hoping I did not create a new form of cement.

Dogwood
06-19-2014, 12:45
I've made this before, and have just completed a batch for an upcoming 4-day section in the Smokies. To me it tastes just like peanut butter Power Bars.
Last time it proved too thick for the Coughlans squeeze tubes... it sort of worked but was difficult and eventually broke the tubes. Not sure what I'm going to do this time, maybe a plastic peanut butter jar, or just portioned in ziplok snack baggies.

Eaten with tortillas.

Like the on tortillas idea. This can be thinned to make squeezable out of a tube if desired. Add more honey and less flour or use more of the PB oil that's usually sitting on top in the container it comes in. Just make sure you purchase PB that doesn't have hydrogenated oil as an ingredient. Also, if you want a squeezable product it helps to have it at room temp. I just warm it up in an inside pocket. When cold it can be thick as clay.

RangerZ
06-19-2014, 23:41
I made some, it was good, but too sweet for my taste. Super chunk PB alone is okay by me.

Wise Old Owl
06-19-2014, 23:53
Sesame seed would work too. Found in bulk bins at Whole Foods for about $3/lb. That price buys a lot of sesame seed! It's high in calcium. You could use these squeezable tubes too. They have a wide mouth(easier to fill and keep clean!), unscrewable caps that close TIGHT(IMPORTANT!), and come in different sizes and see through colors. I've seen them in Harmon's Beauty Stores, REI, WalMart, etc in 3 oz individual tubes for about $2.99. They are perfect for nut butters or what you have going on here. http://www.humangear.com/gotoob/ You might consider tahini which is sesame seed paste too that you'll find in the international food aisle in many large grocery stores. Indeed, Peanut Butter IS definitely NOT the only thing available and suitable for backpacking that could be put into one of these squeezable tubes at resupply stops. I like your creativity!

Us "older guys" should skip the small part of of Sesame Seeds as many are unaware of diverticulitis... everything else Dogwood was cool! I don't have it - but I do keep a bag for the jerky.

rocketsocks
06-20-2014, 03:07
Us "older guys" should skip the small part of of Sesame Seeds as many are unaware of diverticulitis... everything else Dogwood was cool! I don't have it - but I do keep a bag for the jerky.
No more sesame treats :(...Sacre' bleu

jayw288
06-28-2014, 13:16
Tried making a batch this morning with a few tweaks.
2 parts honey (8 tbsp)
1 part almond flour (4 tbsp)
1 part chocolate whey protein powder (4 tbsp)
1 part chunky peanut butter (2 tbsp)
1 tbsp flax seed

Amazing taste. Can't wait to try it on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayw288
06-28-2014, 13:20
1 part chunky peanut butter (2 tbsp)

Sorry 4 tbsp of peanut butter

Dogwood
06-28-2014, 17:01
No reason to abstain from sesame seed goodness if you have diverticulitus. Try Tahini which is sesame seed paste without the seed shells to get caught in all the pockets of your intestinal tract. One can do the same with flax seed by substituting with flax seed meal or with hemp seed by opting for shelled Hemp Seed or Hemp Protein powder. Must I go on with all the other possible whole seed substitutes? BTW, the nozzles(hole openings) on the GoToobs is larger than on the Coughlans Squeeze Tubes which makes something like a thick nut butter or when using in cold weather easier with the GoToobs. `