PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different..........................

Different Socks
06-15-2014, 16:53
You're on the trail. It's your birthday. Other than beer or hard liquor what treat do you have in your pack to commemorate it?

Specifically, I am looking for ideas for sweets, yet any answer could be interesting.

ChinMusic
06-15-2014, 17:02
I got new shoes on my BD last year.

Dogwood
06-15-2014, 17:08
Amnesia......

WingedMonkey
06-15-2014, 17:12
Was passing Hot Springs one birthday. Hiking friends got me a miniature pecan pie with a candle in it.

tiptoe
06-15-2014, 17:49
We have a family tradition, not always observed, of doing a birthday day hike, followed by a nice restaurant dinner.

rocketsocks
06-15-2014, 17:53
Sesame treats, love them little things :)

Tipi Walter
06-15-2014, 20:15
I've been out many times on my birthday and the only gift I can think of is . . . . to be out.

mad4scrapping
06-15-2014, 20:27
Oreos would work for me. Or something else, except that it is illegal in my state.

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2014, 20:44
Baklava - Jello Gigglers - Colmans Cheese Cake with Bluberries - Home Smoked Salmon Kippered process (Did that tonight). Salmon Jerky...

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
06-15-2014, 23:19
Hoping to make it to Hartford TN by mine next year on the trail. The general store there has this amazing BBQ sandwich that I am planning to celebrate with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mags
06-15-2014, 23:35
I've been out many times on my birthday and the only gift I can think of is . . . . to be out.

Winner!!!!

moytoy
06-16-2014, 04:38
I long ago stopped getting gifts on my birthday so when and If I'm alone whether hiking or not, nothing. But a Cheeseburger and a Milkshake sounds pretty good to me.

Another Kevin
06-16-2014, 05:52
The best present is to be out: winner! :banana

Beyond that, a new piece of gear, a chocolate cupcake steamed over my stove, and perhaps a wee spot of very good whisky. (I've got a bit of 16-year-old Islay in my flask. It's been sitting there for a bit because I so seldom actually want a drink on the trail. But, ohhh, it's nice when I do have it.)

If Mother Nature can refrain from sending a foot of snow my way, that's a distinct 'plus'. If I can go on already-broken trail, that's even better. If the broken trail hasn't been postholed, melted and refrozen into a slushy mess, that's better still. I'm perfectly content to have my ice axe stay on my pack, thank you very much! (Can you tell what season my birthday is in?)

I'm not often out on my birthday. My wife likes having me home for it. And I like spending it with my wife. That can be even better than getting out.

Hikes in Rain
06-16-2014, 06:02
Baked a cake in an orange. Slice the top off the orange, off center, then scoop the pulp out of the larger section. You're making a cup from the larger bottom, and a cap from the top. Leave the pulp in place on the cap. Use any instant cake mix to make batter, fill the bowl about two-thirds full, and put the cap in place. Wrap in foil and bake in the campfire for maybe 15 minutes. The pulp drips juice into the cake and flavors it. First tried this up on the Resurrection Trail up in Alaska.

Different Socks
06-16-2014, 16:43
Good ideas!!

C'mon folks!! Let's hear more. I know there are many of you out there that wish you had something in your pack for your birthday. What would it be?

Venchka
06-16-2014, 18:10

Amen Brother. My birthday is March 21. Snow is almost guaranteed at elevation. A perfect present.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
06-16-2014, 18:17
Amen Brother. My birthday is March 21. Snow is almost guaranteed at elevation. A perfect present.

Wayne

OK. Fresh snow. A small cozy fire. From my pack I retrieve a Belgian tripel ale. That would be good.

Wayne

illabelle
06-16-2014, 18:29
Baked a cake in an orange. Slice the top off the orange, off center, then scoop the pulp out of the larger section. You're making a cup from the larger bottom, and a cap from the top. Leave the pulp in place on the cap. Use any instant cake mix to make batter, fill the bowl about two-thirds full, and put the cap in place. Wrap in foil and bake in the campfire for maybe 15 minutes. The pulp drips juice into the cake and flavors it. First tried this up on the Resurrection Trail up in Alaska.

Most cake mixes call for oil, water, and two or three eggs. I assume your cake-in-an-orange trick is modified for the trail. So are you using just water?

RockDoc
06-17-2014, 15:18
I turned 18 on the AT with cake on top of Mt Lafayette, with hiking friends. Unforgettable.

QiWiz
06-17-2014, 16:34
Really good Swiss (or similar quality) extra dark chocolate bar with embedded pieces of fruit (orange rind, dried cherries, or dried apricots).

Ender
06-18-2014, 09:45
For me, since my birthday is in the fall, I'd have a little more leeway in the types of things I could bring. So, a steak (frozen the night before and thawed out while I hike that day) cooked over a campfire, fresh veggies cooked in foil on the embers, root beer (because it's freaking delicious on the trail), and the peace and quiet of the woods... that would be a pretty decent birthday.

Hikes in Rain
06-18-2014, 12:00
Jiffy cake mixes only call for water and an egg. We transferred the mix to a baggie, and buried the egg in it to protect it. Since posting that, I've discovered that those Jiffy cake mixes have become hard to find in the grocery stores now; back in the '70s when we did it, they were in every store. (Oddly, you can still find the classic Jiffy corn bread and some other bread mixes. Hmm...) I did a quick search, and Amazon carries them. Shee, they have everything!

Hikes in Rain
06-18-2014, 12:03
Drat. That post was aimed at illabelle's question on cake mixes.

Hops53
06-18-2014, 12:43
Carried two Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets up Mt. Washington for my 60th last year

redzombie
06-18-2014, 20:37
I will be on the trail on my birthday in September. If I can get a triple bacon cheese burger with all toppings, chilli cheese fries, a guinness milkshake. Maybe I will buy that months playboy as well :-?

Different Socks
06-18-2014, 20:40
I will be on the trail on my birthday in September. If I can get a triple bacon cheese burger with all toppings, chilli cheese fries, a guinness milkshake. Maybe I will buy that months playboy as well :-?

Already did the Playboy thing on an earlier hike. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with a burger next time.

illabelle
06-19-2014, 04:14
Drat. That post was aimed at illabelle's question on cake mixes.

Thanks, HIR.
I've taken cornbread mix on the trail. Ignore the egg + milk directions. Just add water and fry like pancakes. Works pretty good.

Hikes in Rain
06-19-2014, 08:15
I've done that as well. For some reason, we call that corn pone, instead of corn bread. Or sometimes hoecake. Legend has it the slaves in the south used to bake it over a fire on their hoes. Given the amount of dirt my hoe picks up (the rare times I actually use it!), I question the legend's accuracy! I've cooked it on a hot rock, as well. It's fun and it works, but it takes a while for the rock to get hot enough.

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 09:23
Thanks, HIR.
I've taken cornbread mix on the trail. Ignore the egg + milk directions. Just add water and fry like pancakes. Works pretty good.
Must try that, picked up a silicon muffin thingy to be able to steam bake on trail, have yet to try it.

bighammer
06-19-2014, 20:56
Had nothing for my birthday, but at a shelter a few days later heard it was another hiker's birthday so my large bag of peanut butter M&Ms were shared by all.