PDA

View Full Version : White Mountain Weather, Today

rafe
06-15-2014, 19:46
Just returned from a nice day hike up Tripyramid. It was an object lesson in White Mountain weather.

As of yesterday evening the forecast had been for clear weather, sunny skies, temperatures in the 70s up in Lincoln NH. When I checked the weather this morning (before leaving) it had been downgraded to "partly cloudy." When I got to Concord, I could see clouds looking north. Uh-oh. Flags were whippin', and it was pretty chilly at 8 AM.

We intended to do Beaver Brook trail up Moosilauke but when we got there it was completely socked in, the cloud floor was even with the trailhead. It was windy and 55 degrees. So we turned around, back downhill and headed east along the Kanc, and had beautiful sunny skies, 65-70 degrees all day. Where there were views, you could see a puffy bank of clouds lingering over Moosilauke and the Kinsmans. But 15 miles east, blue clear sky.

These mountains make their own weather. So glad we didn't try for Beaver Brook, it would have been miserable. Pine Bend Brook Trail is beautiful. (Plenty of gorgeous camping opportunities.)

jeconiah
06-15-2014, 21:31
I checked the weather before leaving to do the Willey Range. NOAA said fog before 7am or 8am, then quickly improving to sunny skies and just 5-10 cloud cover. :rolleyes:

Willey & Field did appear to eventually clear up... hours after I was down and staring back up from Crawford Notch. Like you, I thought it was a good reminder that the White Mountains do whatever they damn well please...

peakbagger
06-15-2014, 21:49
We did Moosilaukee from Ravine lodge today (sunday) , all the forecasts were for a beautiful day, Summit socked in with clouds and high winds.

Slo-go'en
06-16-2014, 01:12
The summits never clear until late Sunday afternoon. The next few days will be perfect, then it will sock in again for the weekend. That's just how it works around here :)