PDA

View Full Version : Sobo 2014 gear list

redzombie
06-15-2014, 21:35
Ok, so here is my gear list. All advice and idea's are welcome. It took me two REI Garage sales to get all my gear, well worth it!

Sleeping Bag (REI Women's long Flash 800 down)
Big Agnes Q-Core SL inflatable insulated sleeping pad
Gortex Bivy Cover
Hennessy hammock

All four items stuffed in a Sea to summit event waterproof Stuff sack

total weight 7lbs

------------------------------------------------------------------

96 oz collapsible nalgene canteen
1 litter mountain Dew bottle

total 129 oz's
total weight 9lbs

First Need XLE Water Purifier 21 oz's

(I know this seems like alot of water as it is just over a gallon, but I have kidney failure [17 % function remaining] and need extra water which is also why I am going with the first need XLE Water Purifier. Yes I know its heavier than other options but I cant run the risk of getting sick due to kidneys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cloths (stuffed in pack)

1 goose down waterproof jacket (top layer)
1 wool fleece (mid layer)
1 patagonia long sleeve shirt (base layer)
1 polyester hiking pants
1 polyester hiking shorts
1 polyester compression shorts (underwear)
1 polyester short sleeve shirt
3 pair injinji socks (pink,blue,green)
1 wool night cap
1 gloves
1 sierra Designs Rain micropants
1 rain jacket by Kuhl
REI pack rain cover
1 bandanna
1 xero amuri cloud sandals

all stuffed in a sea to summit event waterproof stuff sack

total weight 6 lbs
--------
cloths I am wearing

compression shorts
hiking shorts
polyester short sleeve shirt
bandanna
watch
pedometer
1 pair injinji socks
pure grit trail runners
two small alum crystals (one in each pocket)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

alcohol stove with pot(16 oz cup), fuel, and accessories( windshield, titanium spork) 13.21 oz's :D

17 fl oz extra fuel

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous

sea to summit headnet w/ insect shield
emergency blanket
multi-tool
small sharping file (.28 oz)
REI carbon peak UL hiking poles
2 tent stakes (for hammock rain cover)
3 wooden clothes pins ( works great to hang cloths to dry with hammock and weigh nothing)
black diamond head lamp
1.3 oz wilderness wash
mushers secret foot balm (made for dogs, but works amazingly for humans!);)
Camp-trails McKinley Pack
a **** ton of doctor prescribed medicines (for kidneys) :eek:
a small pencil
a small notepad
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

total weight including water but excluding food 31 lbs. Food is the only variable that will change.

I don't think 31 lbs is bad, especially with the pack which makes it feel like I am carrying nothing. When I was a forest firefighter I had 65 lbs on my back. 45 lbs of equipment plus a 20 lb first aid kit! So 31 lbs doesn't seem too bad :banana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who are thinking that I don't have a first aid kit.......
A banana can be used as a wrap for sprains, or used with two sticks used as a splint. Take a two small pieces of alum rocks, put one in each pocket. This will stop chafing. If your water filter breaks, alum will purify your water. The alum crystals are also antibacterial. But if you have soap and a little bit of friction ( you can wash the bacteria off). If your bleeding is so bad, bust out your stove and heat the blade of your knife and cauterize it closed, and guess what? The wound now is sterile. Don't want to you use your only banana? Well boil some water and throw your socks in it, and now you have a sterile dressing. Have diarrhea ? Throw some mud in your pot, heat it up, let it cool and eat a handful (its called geophagy and the mud will absorb poisons toxins, and even viruses). If your paying attention to where you step and come into contact with poison ivy, wash it off with soap and water. Wet feet? Rub the alum crystal on em after cleaning them, or Vaseline, mushers secret or other foot balm. The petroleum will bring white blood cells to the surface to help heal and dry your feet out (why you don't use it on a tattoo lol). I think alot of yal over think the first aid thing, and unfortunately the only cure for the rapid contingent of ignorance is real life experience. Snake bits, are another thing, none of the gizmos they sell work, don't cut it and try to suck it out or any of the other myths people believe. The ONLY thing that will work besides anti venom, is to remain CALM. The slower your heart beats the slower the spread. If you get all worked up, the adrenaline will speed up your heart and make the spread faster. Control your breathing, your heart beat and understand you will live. (Oh I was bitten by a copperhead....real life experience). -Former Wildland Firefighter & Medic:cool:

Nick P
06-15-2014, 21:47
Geophagy...no thanks, but all the best.

forrest!
06-16-2014, 05:36
Looks good - so the weight, without water, is 22 pounds more or less? That's great. Good luck with your kidneys, sounds like you have thought out the health problems. I don't think I'll be eating any mud, unless it's by accident!

redzombie
06-16-2014, 09:02
people give mud a bad name but consider this...when you take imodium, you are able to hold your bowels a little longer and less frequent. All the while the bacteria or virus is still inside causing havoc. The mud acts like a binder which grabs hold of said virus and bacteria and you pass it through.....quicker road to recovery in my book.

Corsac
06-16-2014, 10:11
Looks good! When are you starting?

redzombie
06-16-2014, 10:56
climbing Katahdin July 10

Just Bill
06-16-2014, 10:58
Everything looks pretty solid and well thought out to me, and if Forrest's comment is correct then you're doing fine.
More nitpicky but- if you don't need the fitting on the colapsable nalgene bottle you could cut bladder weight in half or better with a platy bag. (If it mates with your filter and you want that feature then disregard.)

Other than that- you may be a bit overdressed/over accesorized in your wardrobe- but that's nitpicking again. I would take what you got and you can always pare it down as you move down the trail. SOBO is a bit trickier in that you are up north and temps are a bit more unpredictable, but if starting soon you will be in warm weather and may find you can tone it down until Aug/Sept/Oct. depending on your pace. Didn't see the temp rating on your bag, but if it's a 20 deg then you likely don't need as many clothes at night.

Get hiking and have a great trip- even more props to you for not letting a health issue stand in your way!

rafe
06-16-2014, 11:15
IMO and for what it's worth -- close enough. Don't fiddle with it any more, at least not till you get to Monson.

Curious about the alum crystals but maybe I shouldn't ask. :)

What I saw of the White Mtns. yesterday, streams were flowing nicely. Hopefully this won't be a horrible drought year. I think you're smart to err on the side of carrying too much (rather than too little.) As the summer progresses, the scrounge for water will consume more of your time and energy.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

forrest!
06-16-2014, 11:28
climbing Katahdin July 10

Great! I'm starting July 12. Surely we will see each other at some point.

Honuben
06-16-2014, 15:33
What are your experiences with hammocking with only a bivey sack and no tarp? Or does the hennessy have an integrated covering? When setting up between shelters and caught in a downpour a tarp would make life better to keep gear dryer and easier to cook.

If you are looking to get a little lighter i would drop the extra ss shirt, hiking pants and/or rain pants, gloves,and 1 bandana. Im not familiar with the rain jacket nor you waterproof down coat, but if the rain jacket is lightweight drop the down coat. I was just thinking with a long sleeve + long sleeve wool fleece + rain coat for shell, you should be warm enough. But the extra cloths are nice for those just in case moments...

bigcranky
06-16-2014, 15:37
I know you meant "bandana" but the thought of you using a "banana" to wrap your ankle sprain is just too funny.

Good luck and have fun.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 17:21
Honuben The hammock has rain cover/tarp that comes with it. Its pretty good. I just got done hiking the River to River Trail in Southern Illinois and the gortex bivy cover came in handy. I do consider that my "luxury" item. It stormed almost every day I was down there. Yeah I might drop the extra bandanna, and hiking pants. I don't know about you but I can't sleep unless I get into something "Clean" which is the extra set SS and underwear. Rafe when I hiked the RTR trail the alum crystals were amazing. They keep you from chafing, and have a hole mess of other uses too (stops bleeding, purify water, antibacterial for cuts). One thing I did learn, which is often overlooked (or its just me), is to make sure your top layer fits over your mid and base layer, and your mid layer fits over your base layer lol

redzombie
06-16-2014, 17:52
I put my inflatable sleeping pad inside the gortex bivy along with the sleeping bag. This gives more insulation and keeps me from getting "wind butt" from the hammock. Also putting the sleeping pad inside the bivy cover keeps it from sliding around in the hammock.

mountain squid
06-16-2014, 18:52
Some observations:

3 jackets
3 shirts
4 pants/shorts
4 socks
will you ever wear all these clothes at the same time? if not, you are probably carrying too much
long underwear - at least for The Whites
might not need rainpants since hiking pants should dry quickly
I don't know what an insect shield is?!? on your head net
insect repellent
sunscreen
duct tape
needle for draining blisters
50' para cord
hand sanitizer
lighter
no electronics ?!?
whistle
ear plugs
companion or the at guide
tooth brush/paste
and, of course, tp

40 pounds (with food) is not too bad, but might be a bit heavy, especially through ME and then The Whites. (Did you have to carry that 65# all day long while fighting fires?)

Don't forget to make reservations for Katahdin Stream CG (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/at.htm). Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

norovirus awareness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)

redzombie
06-16-2014, 19:14
Yes I carried all 65 lbs when I was fighting fire. You have too, safety. Your right about the cloths. I am carrying too much. I don't use hand sanitizer (soap and water washes off the norovirus lol). I have included para cord, lighter, tooth brush and past, I have the AWOL southbound guide, TP. I am not bringing any electronics except maybe a "dumb" phone. I don't pop my blisters (open wound). The insect shield on the head net is just a bug treatment they did on the head-net. I also sprayed everything down with permethrin a few times. Ear plugs? For what? Snoring doesn't bother me, and lets be honest, those ear plugs get pretty nasty, and I don't want to put them in my ears lol. I like the long underwear Idea. I might switch my hiking pants for those and use the rain pants. Good thought. Thank You. Sunscreen? I want to hear more about this. I thought there is too much tree cover, same reason why sun glasses aren't worth it. Whats a whistle for? I have made my reservation at Baxter, and Phil from 100milewilderness is picking me up from Bangor. Thank You Mt. Squid for your advice. I need to figure out how to keep duck tape from getting dirty,wet ect, and becoming useless. I have tried ziplock and wrapping around hiking poles and just bad luck with it.

mountain squid
06-16-2014, 20:15
Hand sanitizer might not be very effective against norovirus but I would still carry it . . . for those times when you don't have the norovirus but would still like to clean your hands.

You should never 'pop' a blister, but if one gets too painful to walk on, it might be necessary to 'drain (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/blisters-home-treatment)' it.

Ear plugs would be for snorers, if it doesn't bother you though . . . . .

I would keep the hiking pants and leave the rain pants. However, I wear zip-offs which become my shorts, negating the need for extra shorts, as well.

You might not need the sunscreen, but you will be above tree line in ME and NH . . . think about the back of your legs and your neck . . .

A whistle can be a life saver if an emergency occurs. The sternum buckle on your pack might be a whistle . . .

I probably still have some duct tape wrapped around my hiking poles.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

rafe
06-16-2014, 20:22
Hi, Squid - I vote for keeping a bit of sunscreen on hand. It makes intense sun more bearable on long ridge and meadow walks. Not to mention skin-safety issues.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 20:51
MT. Squid, you make valid points, so much that I am taking you up on your advice. Thanks. That's good info about the sternum buckle. I like that. Thank You

lynn523
06-16-2014, 21:01
Re: "I need to figure out how to keep duck tape from getting dirty,wet ect, and becoming useless. I have tried ziplock and wrapping around hiking poles and just bad luck with it."
I wrap my duct tape around a spare tent spike and keep it in my pack. However, after seeing all the WB recommendations, I plan to try switching to leukotape this year. Sounds like its just as versatile but better.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 21:12
I am going to look into the leukotape. I might just put a spool in a empty med bottle. Those med bottles are waterproof and light.

PackHorse
06-16-2014, 22:25
I use the plastic bread wrapper closers for my clothes pins, works well, can carry a few more. Also, you don't say which Hennessey your using or if you've switched out your suspension. When I switched out to amsteel blue, I saved about 1/2 lb. I'm now going to start using my poncho as my rain fly over my hammock and eliminate a continuous ridgeline because of abrasion (adding shock cord for tensioning). Still not willing to give up my snakeskins. :-)

redzombie
06-16-2014, 22:32
The plastic bread wrapper wire is a great idea! Sweet! I am using the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight Asym Classic (wow, I am out of breath). I have the snake skins, and I am new to hammocks. Why would I change out my suspension? I do like the continuous ridgeline, but I open to new ideas. Shock cord and amstel blue? please elaborate.

PackHorse
06-16-2014, 22:53
I'm not familiar with the ultralights suspension, I have the Explorer and the Scout. The original roping on the ends is quite thick and one had metal S hooks. Amsteel blue is one type of hollow core cording that is very strong. Check out some videos on YouTube of hammocks and whoopie slings. I also made my own tree straps out of seat belt material that are lighter than a purchased set. I've found that any "girdling" of trees happens on the side away from the hammock. So made my straps shorter to protect that area.

Honuben
06-17-2014, 20:10
How do you like you kuhl rain coat? I have an OR Helium 2 but have yet to be stuck in a bad downpour. I have read spme good stuff about kuhl stuff, just wanted to see if you have seen any good rain in it yet.

redzombie
06-18-2014, 00:19
It looks alright. I just switched it out from my military gortex rain coat. It was the only one at the garage sale at REI. I have read nothing but good things about the coat. The inside reflex's body heat back to keep you warm, but also breaths. I got it for 20 bucks and the retail was 140. So its what I am sticking with. http://www.rei.com/product/846172/kuhl-parachute-jacket-mens#descriptionTab

rocketsocks
06-18-2014, 01:16
Gear list...hmm :-?

OP looks pretty prepared to me...Go For It!