PDA

View Full Version : the 9-10 miles on either side of VA's James River Footbridge?

jeconiah
06-15-2014, 21:38
Hello,

Looking for advice for a dayhike with the family with Lynchburg as our base; this'll be my first experience on the AT in VA. I'm thinking either the 10 miles from Petites Gap to the footbridge, or on the parkway just before Punchbowl Shelter and again go down to the James River.

Does anyone have opinions on which they'd prefer? Which hike is easier? Which is more scenic or more interesting? Neither appear on the map to have much elevation gain, but I don't know what the trails are like in AT and if this is actually a harder hike than it appears.

Thoughts?

Sara
06-15-2014, 21:44
Petites Gap to the footbridge is easier I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malto
06-15-2014, 21:48
I would definitely do the section south of the James. The climb or descent to the north is pretty long. The area to the south is nice and then it does a moderate climb.

Southerner
06-16-2014, 12:50
Starting at Petites Gap and heading north, you'll start right away with a short (just under a mile) but difficult climb up the unfortunately named High Cock Knob (no view, and pretty much a PUD) with a correspondingly steep descent. From Marble Spring at the base of High Cock to the Gunter Ridge Trail (which leads to the Belfast Trail and Devil's Marbleyard), the trail ascends moderately, but with good views of the immediate valley. From the Gunter Ridge Trail intersection, it's mostly down hill or flat to the James, and the last mile along the south bank of the river has nice views of the river and some cool rock formations.

Starting at the Puchbowl Overlook and heading south, you'll start with a quick steep section (less than 0.5 miles) to the shelter trail. From there, the trail climbs moderately to the summit of Bluff Mountain, the site of an old fire tower (pile-ons are still there), the Ottie Hill memorial, and views, particularly to the west. From Bluff Mountain, the trail follows the ridge, descending into the gaps and then ascending over knobs along the ridge several times. You'll find nice views at points along the ridge and at Big Rocky Row, and spectacular views at Little Rocky Row (there's a quarter-mile cliffline just off the trail) and Fuller's Rock. From Fuller's Rock, it's a steep descent over switchbacks to Johns Hollow Shelter, then an easier descent through the woods, across Hercules Road, and then along the creek to the highway and James.

Of the two, I would say that Petites Gap to the James is somewhat easier, but that Punchbowl Overlook to the James is significantly more scenic (especially since you could always walk across the Foot Bridge and along the south bank of the James as an out-and-back after finishing the latter section).

Southerner
06-16-2014, 12:56
Two things that spring to mind that I left out above (probably should have edited before posting, I know):
-- There are some nice, albeit limited, views of the James River from the ridge between the Balcony Falls Trail intersection and Matts Creek Shelter.
-- There is one particularly steep, rocky descent coming off of Big Rocky Row into the gap before Little Rocky Row.

Deer Hunter
06-16-2014, 13:14
Petites Gap to the James River is easier but the BRP to the James River has better views IMO. Both have middle stretches without water.

CalebJ
06-16-2014, 13:31
The climb from the James north is going to be long and steep. Not what I'd suggest for a 'dayhike with the family'. What about coming in at 501, going south on the AT and cutting out through Devil's Marbleyard?

rafe
06-16-2014, 13:37
I recall really nice views from the ridge north of James River. I wasn't looking backward a lot, but I don't recall such views after crossing the river southbound.

CalebJ
06-16-2014, 16:16
I recall really nice views from the ridge north of James River. I wasn't looking backward a lot, but I don't recall such views after crossing the river southbound.
This is true. I remember loving the view coming down from that ride last December. Not so much on the other side until you get into the Marbleyard area IIRC.

jeconiah
06-16-2014, 19:28
Thanks for the great info so far! I suppose I had assumed we should end at the footbridge, but is there a good argument for starting from there? More elevation climb though, right? I guess my top pick right now is Punchbowl southbound, which still seems like under 2000 feet of total climb (i.e. why I'm considering taking less experienced folks on this).

Caleb, for your idea, are we talking about AT to Sulphur Spring Trail?

CalebJ
06-17-2014, 12:44
I believe it's called Belfast Trail? Not sure, it's been a while and I don't have a map handy.

Edit:
Here's some info on the Belfast trail.
http://www.hikingupward.com/jnf/devilsmarbleyard/

One option might be to come in from Petite's gap, check out the overlock that site mentions (3 miles south of the AT intersection with Belfast) and then drop into the Marbleyard from above. You'd come out on 781 at a small parking lot by a footbridge across Elk Creek.