PDA

View Full Version : Grandma Gatewood's Walk

hikernutcasey
06-16-2014, 13:47
Just finished reading the newly released book about Grandma Gatewood. I thought it was very well done and really enjoyed it. It's an easy read and I have to say I learned a lot about her story that I did not know. She was definitely a tough lady and one whose accomplishments are quite impressive. I had no idea she completed the trail 2 more times after her initial thru at age 67.

I cannot imagine hiking the trail in the mid 1950's without the innovative technology we have today. Even if you had today's gear it would have been very difficult with the trail conditions the way they were back then. What she did is really astonishing if you think about it.

I also did not know she became quite the celebrity because of all her hiking. Interesting read to say the least.

Riocielo
06-17-2014, 03:50
I have been reading it as well. I was surprised at the details of her personal life and inspired by the stories of how she survived with so little in treacherous conditions.

I loved the stories about the two "Navy men" and the one about the gang leaders.

I was not aware she walked the AT so many times, and also walked so many other trails. Impressive lady.

rafe
06-17-2014, 06:26
I cannot imagine hiking the trail in the mid 1950's without the innovative technology we have today. Even if you had today's gear it would have been very difficult with the trail conditions the way they were back then. What she did is really astonishing if you think about it.

It was astonishing but it wasn't quite the same trail. There were lots more road walks. In some ways the current trail is harder, since some of those road walks are now ridge walks. No hiker feeds, few or no hostels. Trail magic was very much alive, it was common for hikers to take food, shelter, other favors from locals they met.

RockDoc
06-17-2014, 10:20
I was on the AT in the late 1960's, and I remember the long road walks, the lack of support, and not being welcome in small communities which looked at us as no better than dirty, smelly vagrants. The trail was often indistinct and we got lost fairly often. But there was a great freedom and a feeling of doing something very adventurous. On very rare occasions people invited us into their homes for milk and cookies and a nice chat, I still remember that part. The shelters were often dilapidated, with leaky wooden roofs. But that was the way it was and we did not complain.

hikernutcasey
06-17-2014, 10:37
I was on the AT in the late 1960's, and I remember the long road walks
So when did this change? I am 35 years old so I only know the AT that is present today. I only started backpacking 5 years ago. How long has the AT been in it's current state? I know the trail continues to evolve with relo's and such but besides that at what point did it become protected and off of private land and roads?

rafe
06-17-2014, 11:00
So when did this change? I am 35 years old so I only know the AT that is present today. I only started backpacking 5 years ago. How long has the AT been in it's current state? I know the trail continues to evolve with relo's and such but besides that at what point did it become protected and off of private land and roads?

The biggest change legally came in 1968 when it was designated a National Scenic Trail; at that point the feds were committed to making the entire trail corridor public (vs. private) land. It still took another several decades before it happened. Bit by bit the trail was taken off the roads and put back into the woods (or marshes, or ridges.)

One of the biggest changes I know about is the so-called Cumberland Road Walk -- I believe it now corresponds to the area between Darlington shelter and Boiling Springs. That happened some time after 1990. Another one is that very fancy boardwalk through the marsh near Vernon NJ, I'm pretty sure there was a road walk around that. Not 100% certain but I believe the trail used to go along a road right into Falls Village, CT. Nowadays it ducks off the road and follows the River for a mile or so and misses the village. Trail used to go right into Monson, now it crosses the highway a few miles west of Monson. Etc. etc. etc.

Elk Park (just north of Roan) is apparently one place where the locals never got over having the trail "forced" on them -- at least as late as 2000.

As of last weekend, it occurs to me that the AT trailhead on Rte. 112 in NH may have been relocated. If I recall correctly (and that's a big IF) the trail used to go flat at the trailhead for maybe .2 miles or more before hitting the killer ascent. The current trailhead makes it look like the ascent (southbound, up Beaver Brook) starts right at the end of the parking lot. I know for sure the shelter used to be at the bottom of the mountain, now it's at the top of the Beaver Brook ascent.

Seatbelt
06-17-2014, 15:35
One excellent resource for finding documentation about re-routes is the account of Earl Shaffer's 50 year later hike of the trail. He mentions several places that are harder now including mountains in Maine that were previously "walked around". I guess some would say that road walking is harder.......

NY HIKER 50
06-17-2014, 15:50
The biggest change legally came in 1968 when it was designated a National Scenic Trail; at that point the feds were committed to making the entire trail corridor public (vs. private) land. It still took another several decades before it happened. Bit by bit the trail was taken off the roads and put back into the woods (or marshes, or ridges.)

One of the biggest changes I know about is the so-called Cumberland Road Walk -- I believe it now corresponds to the area between Darlington shelter and Boiling Springs. That happened some time after 1990. Another one is that very fancy boardwalk through the marsh near Vernon NJ, I'm pretty sure there was a road walk around that. Not 100% certain but I believe the trail used to go along a road right into Falls Village, CT. Nowadays it ducks off the road and follows the River for a mile or so and misses the village. Trail used to go right into Monson, now it crosses the highway a few miles west of Monson. Etc. etc. etc.

Elk Park (just north of Roan) is apparently one place where the locals never got over having the trail "forced" on them -- at least as late as 2000.

As of last weekend, it occurs to me that the AT trailhead on Rte. 112 in NH may have been relocated. If I recall correctly (and that's a big IF) the trail used to go flat at the trailhead for maybe .2 miles or more before hitting the killer ascent. The current trailhead makes it look like the ascent (southbound, up Beaver Brook) starts right at the end of the parking lot. I know for sure the shelter used to be at the bottom of the mountain, now it's at the top of the Beaver Brook ascent.

The reason the Beaver Brook Shelter may have been moved may be me. A lot of hikers were being bothered by some locals and I spent a night with these creeps. I contacted the local trail club and they told me that they were going to move it back then because of that. Falls Village was moved due to the Dark Entry being on private property.

In Vernon, it was a road walk and you can still do it if you want to get around the trail.

lemon b
06-17-2014, 21:35
I think the number of shelters really skyrocketed in the 1980's and early 1990's. Also there conditions. We are very lucky to have the AT right of way. It took a lot of work and much personal giving of private land owners. Like today we have Campbell Shelter. Campbell country used to be kinda a sneak thru area because the families in that area were not real open minded about hikers walking across there land. And thats just one example. A lot of folks gave us the gift of the AT. Gotta be grateful to them all.

rickb
06-17-2014, 21:55
The reason the Beaver Brook Shelter may have been moved may be me. A lot of hikers were being bothered by some locals and I spent a night with these creeps. I contacted the local trail club and they told me that they were going to move it back then because of that. Falls Village was moved due to the Dark Entry being on private property.

In Vernon, it was a road walk and you can still do it if you want to get around the trail.

Wasn't there a serious crime committed there?

rafe
06-17-2014, 22:23
Shelters too close to road crossings are often problematic. Most experienced hikers know to avoid them. So maybe it was as simple as that.