PDA

View Full Version : CT conditions "report"...

colorado_rob
06-16-2014, 16:45
I put "report" in quotes, because my eyeballs were only on a small portion of the trail in places from Salida to Lake City (we climbed a bunch of high 13ers this weekend near the CT). The trails we were on, even in the trees and fairly high were mostly snow free, a couple/few leftover avy chutes with deep, but hard snow here and there, easy to walk right over.

With the extended warm weather we've recently had, things are melting out FAST out there, so fast in fact the streams and rivers are bursting with fast moving water, higher/faster than I've seen in a long time. In fact, tragically, 8 people have died already this year in CO rafting accidents. Very sad.

Overall, from the parts I saw or hiked near, the CT is looking pretty good in this region (Salida through Lake City). I haven't been in those pesky Sawatches lately though, but a pal from Ohio is visiting and we're heading out in a couple days to maybe get from Waterton to Breck (sections 1-7), maybe a tad further, I'll report back on those two most troublesome sections w.r.t. leftover snow, 6 and 7 next week.