PDA

View Full Version : Great Smokies Hike

Buttcrack Johnson
06-16-2014, 17:03
Greetings all,

I am seeking suggestions for a 2 to 3 day hike, and would like some input.
My 2 choices are: Newfound Gap to Fontana, or Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap. I want to leave my vehicle at my destination and catch a ride to Newfound Gap.

I will be arriving within a week or so and would like to hear some different opinions.

thanks in advance,
PJ, Central Florida

HooKooDooKu
06-16-2014, 17:23
New Found Gap to Fontana is a 40+ mile hike (and Spence Field Shelter is closed... likely for another 3 weeks).
New Found Gap to Davenport Gap is about a 32 mile hike. Where the AT meets the road at Davenport Gap isn't considered a good place to park a car. A better location is the Big Creek Ranger Station. It is slightly more than a 2 mile road walk from Davenport Gap to the Ranger Station (but I believe the road is considered the Benton-MacKaye trail). Alternately, you could skip the last two miles of the AT in the park and take the two mile Chestnut Branch trail from the AT right to the Ranger Station.

Neither hike is not going to be a cheap shuttle, you're talking some serious road miles. While I've never priced a shuttle for either hike, the shuttle services I've used (A Walk In The Woods, and AAA Hiker Services) as based between Gatlinburg and Cosby. As such, I would expect the shuttle to be cheaper for Davenport Gap than Fontana. (Shuttle companies stationed somewhere else might be cheaper, but I don't know which ones are permitted to operate commercially in the park).

Airmed802
06-18-2014, 13:23
I did newfound to Fontana last fall and finished at about 1500 on the third day. The Hike Inn at Fontana shuttled two of us for $100. Fontana Dam is a safe place to park.

Violent Green
06-18-2014, 21:39
Greetings all,

I am seeking suggestions for a 2 to 3 day hike, and would like some input.
My 2 choices are: Newfound Gap to Fontana, or Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap. I want to leave my vehicle at my destination and catch a ride to Newfound Gap.

I will be arriving within a week or so and would like to hear some different opinions.

thanks in advance,
PJ, Central Florida

In my opinion, Newfound to Davenport is a more beautiful hike so that would be my pick between those two. Do you have your heart set on those & using a shuttle? If not, you can do a 37mi loop from Davenport Gap/Big Creek up the AT to Balsam Mtn trail, then over to the BMT and Mt Sterling. Then, down Baxter Creek trail to Big Creek. Makes a terrific loop with huge views and two firetowers. The best weekend to be found in the Smokies.

Ryan

illabelle
06-19-2014, 04:11
We've done both sections, but we live in Knoxville, so we self-shuttled.
The northern half is more scenic in my opinion, and the walk to the Big Creek ranger station is downhill on a gravel road, then right for a short distance on asphalt. I recall the total distance being 1-1/4 miles.
The northern half spends more time on narrow ridges, so you have lots of views, and a greater potential for a cool breeze. Davenport Gap is right at I-40.
The southern half goes over "good ol' Rocky Top". :) Fontana is several miles from an interstate, at least 45 minutes of winding mountain road.
Enjoy your hike.

HeartFire
06-19-2014, 05:36
Are you only interested in hiking the AT? There are much better trails that that in the park. I was just up on Mt. Sterling this past weekend, and the trail was great - beautiful views up top at the fire tower. There are lots of great loop hikes you can do so you don't have to get a shuttle.

Starchild
06-19-2014, 07:12
You also have the option of accessing the AT at Clingman's Dome instead of New Found Gap. I'm not sure you can park overnight there however.

Note that campsite 113, and shelters Icewater and Spence are closed due to bears. Davenport shelter has a bear warning and may close as well.

illabelle
06-19-2014, 09:14
We parked at Clingman's Dome for 3 days with no problem. If there's a rule against it, I'm unaware of it.

HooKooDooKu
06-19-2014, 09:23
There are many trail-heads at Clingman's Dome. Overnight parking is allowed there just as it is at other trail-heads.

The only places I can think of that overnight parking might not be allowed is some of the day-use picnic areas.

TNhiker
06-19-2014, 09:41
The only places I can think of that overnight parking might not be allowed is some of the day-use picnic areas.

that is correct------like the picnic area at the entrance to cades cove......

and at deep creek, they want hikers to park in the back parking lot....

and in cosby, there's a hiker parking lot (near the entrance station).......

MuddyWaters
06-22-2014, 08:47
NFG to DG is easier, maybe more views. Park at Standing Bear Hostel(~2 miles more) and get Curtis to shuttle you.
NFG to Fontana is OK, better ending with restaurants close by, and shower at the dam. Park at the dam and get Jeff from the Hike Inn to shuttle you.

July
06-22-2014, 23:43
Why not start/base out of a FS campground, and hike a Loop.

Buttcrack Johnson
06-25-2014, 11:42
Thanks all for the input. I am liking the loop hike idea. Park at Big Creek Ranger Station, take AT to Balsam Mt, to Sterling Ridge, to Baxter Creek, to Big Creek RS. That way I am not waiting for a ride, or vise-versa, I am going by my own pace. PJ

RED-DOG
06-25-2014, 14:34
What about something a little different, Park at Fontana Damn Hike NOBO on AT to Spence Field Shelter then from Spence Field shelter proceed down Eagle Creek Trail To Lost Cove Trail then take Lost Cove Trail back to the AT intersection just North of Shuck stack then back to Fontana Damn, this is around a 30 mile Loop Hike that is very enjoyable, I have done this hike many times the hardest part is getting up Shuckstack, the first night would be at Russell Field shelter or maybe even Spence Field Shelter then the second night you would be camping at a premitive campsite either campsite 89 on the Eagle creek trail or 91 on the Lost cove trail, This loop hike offers plenty of water sources some great views and some of the best wildlife habitat in the park, you would see Deer, Black Bear, just to name a few. Good Luck and Happy Hiking.

TNhiker
06-25-2014, 15:07
one thing to keep in mind----spence field is closed due to bear activity.....not sure when it will open...

along with some other campsites (13, 113, 19, and 20 and possibly more)......

Starchild
06-25-2014, 16:29
one thing to keep in mind----spence field is closed due to bear activity.....not sure when it will open...

along with some other campsites (13, 113, 19, and 20 and possibly more)......

Unofficial word, Spence will not open any time soon.

TNhiker
06-25-2014, 17:00
Unofficial word, Spence will not open any time soon.

thats kinda the impression i got when i called the park to ask about the closures....

my guess is that it will be late fall before it opens...

and we'll see more places get closed up in the meantime....

HooKooDooKu
06-26-2014, 00:27
I've got no insight into what the park's plans on the closures currently are, in the past when they close a campsite due to bear activity usually keep it closed for about one month to give the bear time to unlearn to associate a campsite with a source of food. If I recall correctly, these campsites closed in just the last two weeks, so at a minimum, I would expect them to be closed til mid-July.

Buttcrack Johnson
07-19-2014, 10:16
I am back from my hike. D -gap, A /T west to Tricorner, south to Laurel Gap, west to Sterling /Baxter Creek /Big Creek /D -gap. The best was Sterling /Big Creek. Thanks to all for your recondimations. PJ

Dogwood
07-19-2014, 16:09
Are you only interested in hiking the AT? There are much better trails that that in the park. I was just up on Mt. Sterling this past weekend, and the trail was great - beautiful views up top at the fire tower. There are lots of great loop hikes you can do so you don't have to get a shuttle.

Agree totally with Heartfire's assessment. Oodles of so many worthy trails/trail miles in GSMNP beyond the narrow mindset of just the AT which it seems many find themselves consumed. I also like the idea of doing a loop possibly enjoying SOME of the AT without limiting yourself to just the AT! IMHO, it's a better option in several respects. For example, it certainly can save time, money, and logistical considerations by not having to do a shuttle.

Thanks all for the input. I am liking the loop hike idea. Park at Big Creek Ranger Station, take AT to Balsam Mt, to Sterling Ridge, to Baxter Creek, to Big Creek RS. That way I am not waiting for a ride, or vise-versa, I am going by my own pace. PJ

That would be a nice loop!

What about something a little different, Park at Fontana Damn Hike NOBO on AT to Spence Field Shelter then from Spence Field shelter proceed down Eagle Creek Trail To Lost Cove Trail then take Lost Cove Trail back to the AT intersection just North of Shuck stack then back to Fontana Damn, this is around a 30 mile Loop Hike that is very enjoyable, I have done this hike many times the hardest part is getting up Shuckstack, the first night would be at Russell Field shelter or maybe even Spence Field Shelter then the second night you would be camping at a premitive campsite either campsite 89 on the Eagle creek trail or 91 on the Lost cove trail, This loop hike offers plenty of water sources some great views and some of the best wildlife habitat in the park, you would see Deer, Black Bear, just to name a few. Good Luck and Happy Hiking.

Like this loop suggestion! LOL. I've enjoyed this or some variation of it. Nice hike. Easier with less climbing at the end of the hike would be to just continue on the Lakeshore Tr back to Fontana Dam rather than going back up to Shuckstack which you would do while on the first leg(the AT NOBO).

I am back from my hike. D -gap, A /T west to Tricorner, south to Laurel Gap, west to Sterling /Baxter Creek /Big Creek /D -gap. The best was Sterling /Big Creek. Thanks to all for your recondimations. PJ

Glad you enjoyed the hike and kept your non all AT options open.