PDA

View Full Version : Letter I wrote to Attroll (administrator)

redzombie
06-16-2014, 18:27
Yes Sir,

So after reading some threads and the user agreement I have come to the conclusion that talking about Marijuana is against the User Agreement. Now twenty-two states plus DC have already legalized medical Marijuana, with at lest ten other states with bills pending to legalize medical. This does not include states that have completely legalized it, or decriminalized it. This is also in response to the FBI changing its hiring policy to allow Marijuana use, and the Department of Justice stating it will allow states to regulate it.

What I am asking for you to consider is possibly make it ok to about medical Marijuana within certain parameters of your discretion. With the changing tide of public opinion on the matter and with more and more folks aspiring to walk the trails with disabilities it might come in handy to be able to discuss such matters.

For example how to manage hiking with a medical Marijuana card, how to be discreet about it, how to talk to people about it ect.

I hope you will consider my request as to allow certain topics and mature discussions with dealing with marijuana while hiking the trails, and support responsible, honest dialog without going against the User Agreement as set forth. If the states and federal government can work together on this topic,

Respectfully Yours,

Redzombie

Lone Wolf
06-16-2014, 18:39
it's illegal. nuff said. the trail goes through 14 states. figure it out off this site

redzombie
06-16-2014, 18:57
Depends on your definition on Illegal. Are we talking about it being illegal in states or Federal? Because Federal, it is not illegal anymore according to the Department of Justice and the Obama Administration. 9 out of the 14 states the AT goes through has legalized it, and add New York who has decriminalized it. That leads 4 out of the 14 states that have yet to come around. To handle change, we need to have responsible conversation and open dialog about it. Its the same thing with carrying a side arm. Some states don't allow it others do. I don't condone carrying a side arm on the trail, but I support open dialog about it. Lastly, if you have paperwork from your doctor such as I, then I don't see how it is "illegal", especially with repository between states.

rafe
06-16-2014, 19:02
it's illegal. nuff said. the trail goes through 14 states. figure it out off this site

Medical marijuana is legal in MA. OK, that's just one of 14...

Change is in the wind.

Pedaling Fool
06-16-2014, 19:37
Medical marijuana is legal in MA. OK, that's just one of 14...

Change is in the wind.
It's legal in Florida and we're part of the IAT http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/16/4182407/scott-signs-medical-marijuana.html

:D

I'm very socially liberal/libertarian; however, I really don't see a purpose yet for it to be discussed here, maybe one day, but could care less on way or the other. The only thing I want to say is that one of the OP's concerns >>>> "For example how to manage hiking with a medical Marijuana card, how to be discreet about it, how to talk to people about it ect."

Isn't really a concern on the trail. Have you been on the trail:confused::D

I really can't think of a reason to bring it up, but then again I don't understand why a lot of stuff gets posted here. ;)

Coffee
06-16-2014, 19:38
Legal in Colorado and there's a shop in Breckenridge... Just sayin... I don't drink or smoke but I'd be shocked to not see it on the CT this summer.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 19:47
I don't suspect everyone will have the same opinion as I, and all I am trying to do is respectfully see if I can get the administrators to tweak the user agreement so we may have this discussion. Technically I think I am breaking the User Agreement. It the Administrator disagrees with me so be it. "You will never get the pretty girl if you don't ask". That is is the point I am trying to make. We can all agree change is coming. I rather not keep my head in the sand, and I also want to lessen the impact of that change for those who disagree with me. No one likes a belligerent drunk, so some us have to teach the those who are new to drinking (21-25 year old's) how to be respectful about it. All about maturity, and mutual respect, and open dialog.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2014, 19:50
everyone i know who smokes it, is all for legalization as far as medically, have no medical issues. they're just stoners wantin' to justify their use of it

Old Hiker
06-16-2014, 20:01
everyone i know who smokes it, is all for legalization as far as medically, have no medical issues. they're just stoners wantin' to justify their use of it

Thank you. Just look at Colorado, et.al. I have headaches. I'm stressed. I need to smoke grass. Any and all and no reason. $40 to the curbside doctor and you get a card.

And, yes, it is STILL illegal federally. The Supreme Court only said it's OK for states to regulate it as well. Just because this administration chooses not to enforce a law they swore to , does NOT mean it's legal.

I'm in FL and AGAINST legalization. Charlotte's Web is different. No THC. I'm still of the opinion there are other ways to get the "needed" medical substances out of the grass.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 20:05
Lone wolf that is a honest and most times a accurate description. Wont even lie. To add even more insult to injury, your not going to find a whole lot of people who have medical issues hiking the AT. Granted. I read about a guy who had cancer of the nervous system who completed a thru hike. As for me I look like what most people would assume a stoner looks like. I have PTSD along with a very aggressive personality. But to be a firefighter, cop, solider you have to have a strong personality. When I went back to college, people were intimidated by me, just because of my personality. SO...I changed my look. Rather than having a shaved head and being clean shaven, I grew a beard, and long hair. My "softer" look actually combats my strong personality.
Bottom line is with my kidneys, my service to my country I have nothing to be ashamed about, but neither does someone who wants to drink a beer. In my mind I see no difference as long as it being done so by a responsible adult and not intruding on someone else. But to be fair, I don't think beer has as many health benefits as weed. Also good news is I am able to retire my service dog. I had epilepsy for a few years after getting hurt on a fire, and tests have come back negative. I contribute that to the weed. But to prove your point Lone Wolf, even I, am justifying it.

Mags
06-16-2014, 20:16
Next do to me is a rather good Indian restaurant.

Below said restaurant is a dispensary and next to that is a liquor store in a neighboring plaza.

As my wife and I were eating our dinner, we noticed a steady stream of people going in and out of the dispensary: Stereotypical "stoners", frat boy types, 30 and 40-something professionals in jeans and polo shirts getting out of their office job to get something for the weekend and more than few executive types dressed in what I think of as executive class clothing (at least here in Colorado!): Pressed dress pants and a button down shirt with black dress shoes.

Just normal people. And a rather broad range of said people.

And guess what? When I went to get a six pack of beer a little later, the same type of people were in the liquor store. (I was TECHNICALLY a 30-something as it was two weeks before the big Four-Oh! ;) ).

Just a substance not really that different from the craft beer I tend to like in terms of the effects when you think about it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I just reminded myself I need a six pack. I'll skip the dispensary, though....

WingedMonkey
06-16-2014, 20:31

So was cohabitation in Virginia until this past year.

Last Call
06-16-2014, 20:37
How long will this thread remain before it goes *poof* ?

Ricky&Jack
06-16-2014, 20:42
Did you talk about ********* and it got deleted (You got a warning)?
Or did you read the agreement and noticed the rule, and decided to post about it?

Just curious, cause i wasn't sure if something transpired before this thread.

ChinMusic
06-16-2014, 20:43
So was cohabitation in Virginia until this past year.

Haaaaaa, that had to hurt.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 20:46
I think we have gotten off topic. The purpose of Whiteblaze is to discuss all aspects of the AT and other trails. Marijuana is part of trail life, like it or not. So shouldn't we be able to have a conversation about it? If someone smokes cigs wouldn't you want them to walk away from camp to smoke so you don't have to breath it in? Thats what I am trying to do here. If someone is going to smoke, what etiquette would you like them to display? But under the User agreement we cant even have this discussion. That is what I am trying to change, if the administrator will allow it. That is all I am asking for, to be able to have this discussion without being in violation of the user agreement. Now this is a private site and if said administrator disagrees with me, I will respect that. Its all about respect. Now I tend to lean left on politics so I don't think any business or private entity has the right to discard my rights under the constitution (freedom of speech) but that is a different argument for a different thread. The point is this, would you support a honest and open dialogue about said topic without being in violation of the User agreement.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 20:47
Ricky and Jack I read the agreement and noticed it was against the rules.

Ricky&Jack
06-16-2014, 20:48
oh okay. Because I know it was still being talked about openly... In the thread I made about "nudity not he trail" people posted replies about marijuana use. And I also remember pics being posted of people around the fire smoking something.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2014, 20:53
Haaaaaa, that had to hurt.

what had to hurt?

rocketsocks
06-16-2014, 20:54
tough crowd/or just...;)

Ricky&Jack
06-16-2014, 20:56
tough crowd/or just...;)

You forgot to say "take my wife, please"

ChinMusic
06-16-2014, 20:57
You forgot to say "take my wife, please"

Is THAT legal in VA?

redzombie
06-16-2014, 20:57
oh okay. Because I know it was still being talked about openly... In the thread I made about "nudity not he trail" people posted replies about marijuana use. And I also remember pics being posted of people around the fire smoking something.

Thats my point. I respect all opinions, and everyone has their right to their opinion. If it bothers someone that I am smoking, then shouldn't they and I know how to act? I am not going to smoke around a fire if it bothers someone. Heck I want to be the person that leaves a good impression, rather than a negative one. My actions as a medical marijuana smoker will have a lasting effect on people and their opinions. I want to be able to show em that were all NOT just stoners, but responsible adults.

Another example is I know some Hostels wont tolerate it, and give em a chance to voice their opinions. If I am staying at a hostel, I will walk off property to smoke, take a shower and change my cloths so the smell doesn't bother anyone, but I will also be open and honest about my use.

Ricky&Jack
06-16-2014, 20:58
no, but it is in 12 other A.T. states, and I feel I should be free to post about it.

*I loooooooove sarcasm

**EDIT** that was meant to quote chinmusic

Yankytyke
06-16-2014, 21:02
Decrimilization is not the same as it being legal.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 21:06
no, but it is in 12 other A.T. states, and I feel I should be free to post about it.

Wow, I wish I had your simplicity when it came to words. You summed up my point in one sentence. 1+

rocketsocks
06-16-2014, 21:08
Is THAT legal in VA?depends on the parts yer in.

rickb
06-16-2014, 21:16
I always figured you could discuss illegal activities -- be it smoking pot or murder -- just so long as you don't advocate them.

redzombie
06-16-2014, 21:22
I am no lawyer, but after reading the User Agreement, I think we are all in violation. I do over think things a lot, and maybe that's what I am doing. Just don't want to get in trouble (don't laugh) :bse

Alligator
06-16-2014, 21:44
I don't know if ATTroll had an opportunity to even respond to you before you opened this thread. We have an open thread that I started a few years ago in the Straight Forward Section that covers a good portion of your concerns.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?66785-Medical-MJ