PDA

View Full Version : Bear Chases Jogger: CNN Video (Could happen to hikers)

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 08:42
I just wanted to post a link to a video that a jogger recorded while a (Black?) bear was following/chasing him all the way to his car. The bear is within arm reach of him.

This could easily happen to hikers.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/06/16/dnt-bear-chases-joggers.ctv.html

(I spent 1 night on the A.T. and in the morning there was a black bear 3minutes after I broke camp, so I do know that although not too common, bear interactions do happen. Be prepared)

Coffee
06-17-2014, 09:04
It appears that the mistake was retreating. It is best to stand your ground and make noise when encountering a black bear that doesn't run away. By retreating, one would trigger the bear's curiosity and instinct to pursue. Incidentally, if that bear wanted to catch the jogger, it would have. No one can outrun a black bear. It appears that the bear was simply curious. The few bear encounters I've had to date were very brief and the bears all ran away within seconds of detecting my presence.

Pedaling Fool
06-17-2014, 09:11
You should never run from a bear, because it has the potential to kick-in a response to chase. It is not a foregone conclusion that they will chase you when you run, but it does up the odds, especially if the bear is in predator mode, but this bear was probably just, as the rangers said, curious.

What's bad about it is that as bears see us up close more and more like in that video they learn that we are not to be feared, which is a new paradigm for the bears since they've learned to fear humans ever since man made our first appearance on this continent some 20,000 years ago (or however long ago it was).

Actively feeding bears is a really bad thing, but it must be recognized that just presenting ourselves to the bear in a non-threatening manner is also a bad thing, just takes longer for the effects to show up.

It's a sad fact of life, but hunting these animals is actually a good thing; it forces them to have manners around humans.

rafe
06-17-2014, 09:21
What's bad about it is that as bears see us up close more and more like in that video they learn that we are not to be feared, which is a new paradigm for the bears since they've learned to fear humans ever since man made our first appearance on this continent some 20,000 years ago (or however long ago it was).

Do bears have paradigms? Lotta humans I know don't even have 'em.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 09:33
yeayh, with the fact that he was running away, instead of standing up to the bear means that it may be more likely to follow another person again, til it learns its lesson.

RockDoc
06-17-2014, 10:14
I met a man (geologist) who had an 8-hr pitched battle with a black bear in eastern Canada. Finally he killed it with his rock hammer. Yes, they do attack people, although on the AT you are more likely to have worse issues with tripping on roots.

Pedaling Fool
06-17-2014, 10:14
Do bears have paradigms? Lotta humans I know don't even have 'em.Paradigm as I used it is simply a thought pattern, which affect behavior. However, I'll use another word, Behavior.

Bears just seeing us as a non-threat changes their behavior with respect to us.

flemdawg1
06-17-2014, 10:32
I had a paradigm, but I traded it for 4 nickles.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 10:33
although on the AT you are more likely to have worse issues with tripping on roots.

Ah, the root of all trail evils.

rafe
06-17-2014, 10:38
What I don't know about bear encounters could fill volumes. I've had exactly one close encounter with a bear, in SNP. I didn't run, didn't back away, didn't make a sound. Bear was very aware of my presence, looked at me a few times, but was more interested in foraging. He eventually turned tail and took a few bounds into the woods.

OTOH I have read journals of folks who seemed to be magnets for bears and other critters. "300 Zeros" is one such. The scariest wildlife encounter I ever had on the AT was a wild turkey. :rolleyes:

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 10:41
For the record, here is a 1minute video I made when I came across a bear on the A.T. (Okay, the approach trail).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1493825104163290&set=vb.100006074443162&type=3&theater

I think I handled it the way most people would.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2014, 11:28
oh for heavens sake. the little guy was not aggressive. he was just bein' curious. much ado over nothing

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 11:54
oh for heavens sake. the little guy was not aggressive. he was just bein' curious. much ado over nothing

Yeah, but that would be the perfect reason to stand your ground..... he was curious. So what is stopping him from being curious around someone else (maybe kids, or someone with a gun)?

He is going to remain curious and think its okay to be close to humans, Unless he learns his lesson or becomes scared of them.

(Im guessing if the bear would have made contact, he would have just sniffed and left.... But what about when he's bigger and angry?)

ChinMusic
06-17-2014, 12:08

He did come across as a puppy dog sans the wagging tail. He has learned to follow people. Makes me wonder if he has successfully gotten food before with such a tactic.

The two guys def didn't deter him from making future advances. This will be repeated by this bear.

bamboo bob
06-17-2014, 12:39
I have encountered 47 black bears on a lot of different trails. They all ran away although slowly in SNP. I've had more aggression from dogs on road walks than bears. Never met a grizzly yet. Hopefully from afar sometime soon.

Coffee
06-17-2014, 13:10
Can't believe the authorities said that these guys did everything right and that it would have been a good case for the use of pepper spray.

Bear adolescents seem to be like human adolescents in terms of curiosity, taking risks and exploring their limits. The best thing to do is to make them fear humans, and that's not achieved by retreating.

The bear odd kind of act like a puppy dog...

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2014, 13:53
I've had exactly one close encounter with a bear, in SNP. I didn't run, didn't back away, didn't make a sound. Bear was very aware of my presence, looked at me a few times, but was more interested in foraging.
Sounds like about half of my bear encounters in GSMNP where the bear basically ignored my presence and went about his business as I went about mine.

The other half of the time, the bear runs off into the woods the moment he became aware of my presence.

Only once has a bear approached me, and he ran off the moment I started yelling at him when he started getting too close (say 30').

juma
06-17-2014, 14:36
why I carry a few cherrybomb size firecrackers.

ChinMusic
06-17-2014, 14:50
why I carry a few cherrybomb size firecrackers.

I've been mocked before for saying some small firecrackers are not a bad idea. I have just never done it. As a note, don't even consider such in high fire risk times.

ChinMusic
06-17-2014, 18:08
this is one of my biggest fears about hiking

If it is that big fear, bear spray may be in order. One blast of that stuff and puppy bear would have run off.

bangorme
06-17-2014, 18:14
I've met many bears in Maine and my cougar imitation has always sent them running. As long as bears are hunted in the state where you are, bears will be very timid. If hunting them is outlawed, black bear attacks are not rare. A bear can very easily take a man, so we are prey for them.

Yankytyke
06-17-2014, 19:20
Typical Canadians.... They were way too polite & didn't want to hurt the bears feelings:)
BTW this is the closest i've got to a bear. (I'm a photographer so I have a reason)

JumpMaster Blaster
06-17-2014, 20:02
I came upon a black bear while deer hunting on a friend's property. The bear was definitely not afraid of humans, and proceeded to to keep walking towards my friend as he was working on his truck (he didn't see him). The bear showed NO signs of fear or any intent to move away- he just walked straight up to within what looked to be 20' from my friend. And this is where bears are legally hunted.

rafe
06-17-2014, 22:07
Typical Canadians.... They were way too polite & didn't want to hurt the bears feelings:)
BTW this is the closest i've got to a bear. (I'm a photographer so I have a reason)

Great photo. He looks like he's considering a new paradigm.

Deer Hunter
06-17-2014, 22:10

Nice pic. :)

rafe
06-17-2014, 22:15
this is one of my biggest fears about hiking

On the AT, mostly nothing to fear. They may very well go after your food or your pack if left unattended. Attacks on hikers are rare in the extreme. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard or read a credible report of such an attack.

On the CDT, maybe your fears (or at least respect) are well founded. Grizzlies are not to be messed with. Eastern black bears are mostly docile.

Sarcasm the elf
06-17-2014, 22:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLX6h4Z2q18&sns=em

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 22:22
Oh great! Now we have to watch out for cats on the A.T.!!!!

mad4scrapping
06-17-2014, 22:33
This is exactly what I was thinking. They were being way too nice to the bear-- "thataboy". They were encouraging the bear to follow them.

DLP
06-17-2014, 23:31
I just got back from Yosemite. An old 400 lb bear with a lame paw :( walked past me about 30 yards away. I had my back to it and my sister was focused on getting the dirt out from under her fingernails. A German couple walked right into our camp and I thought, "WOW! I guess they have a different idea of personal space!" The German tourists were looking at the bear... and I was looking at tourists and my sister was looking at her fingernails, and we both missed the bear. :(

It is possible for a bear the size of a Smart Car to silently walk by you and you might never know it was there. :)

We think the bear watched us eat dinner and when we kept a clean camp, it left.

It is said that we "Pack our Fears", and if bear spray makes you feel better, take it. Either you'll get sick of carrying it and ditch it... or you'll feel better and keep it. Probably will never use it, and will be one of those "just in case" kinds of things that never gets used (most likely).

Kingbee
06-17-2014, 23:54
The only bear that didn't run away was in SNP close to Gravel Springs hut. It ran across the trail in front of me and stopped about 30 ft. away and sat there looking at me. I backed away about 50 yards down the trail and came back making as much noise as I could but the bear wouldn't budge. I retreated again and just waited for it to move away.
A while later it came down the hill toward the hut and scared some other hikers :). It paid no mind and started turning over logs.
From a few trail journal entries I think that bear stays in that area.

rocketsocks
06-18-2014, 02:02
What's bad about it is that as bears see us up close more and more like in that video they learn that we are not to be fearedI agree, bears that get sprayed with hot burning what ever it is made of will likely spread the news, humans are mean and not to be trusted, give a wide berth. I don't understand why more folks don't carry bear spray...I know why hikers don't, too heavy, not needed, **** cost $50 bucks...savin' for a new pack.:rolleyes:

I don't carry it, perhaps I should. :) perhaps we all should.

rafe
06-18-2014, 04:09
The woods belong to the bears (and ticks and mosquitoes.) We're just guests in their woods.

Tuckahoe
06-18-2014, 08:38
Got up this morning with this one on the news -- http://www.wvec.com/my-city/vabeach/Bear-struck-by-car-killed-in-Virginia-Beach-263599821.html

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2014, 09:17
Got up this morning with this one on the news -- http://www.wvec.com/my-city/vabeach/Bear-struck-by-car-killed-in-Virginia-Beach-263599821.html
That's incredible that a bear was right there, in the middle of the suburbs. I know this area fairly well I use to live there in the early/mid 90's; very close to Lynnhaven mall, just to the east (other side of Oceana NAS) of where the bear was struck.

That entire area has some open areas, but there are tons of packed suburubs all around, especially closer to the ocean and to the north towards Norfolk; however, there is still a lot of farmlands, horse ranches, open lands to the south and southwest, but to get where he was he had to navigate thru/around a lot of densely packed suburbs; I've ridden my bike all over that area and use to ride down to NC on many weekends.

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2014, 09:23
That's incredible that a bear was right there, in the middle of the suburbs. I know this area fairly well I use to live there in the early/mid 90's; very close to Lynnhaven mall, just to the east (other side of Oceana NAS) of where the bear was struck.

Correction, should have read: "just to the west"

Tuckahoe
06-18-2014, 10:55
I am not surprised that a bear got hit in that part of the beach as bear sitings have become rather common, especially along the I-264 (old Rt44) corridor. Though they are usually juveniles.

Last year there was a young male that was being tracked ranging from upper New Kent County near Richmond, all tne way down to Newport News.

And to get completely off topic, this guy got hit and killed down in Dare County -- http://wtkr.com/2014/05/26/12-foot-alligator-struck-killed-by-vehicle-in-dare-county/

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2014, 11:30
Maybe I'm looking at this in my 1990's mindset; I don't remember ever hearing of a bear sighting in the suburbs. However, after looking into it, it does seem to be an increasing thing. This sighting was deep in a Va beach neighborhood http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/bears-visit-oceanfront-kicks-quite-ruckus I couldn't believe it when I looked at that area on a map.

WingedMonkey
06-18-2014, 11:37
Of all the deaths on the AT, there are no known cases of anyone hiking the AT being killed by a bear.

Or a wild hog, or a snake,or a spider, or a mountain lion, or................

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2014, 11:39
And to get completely off topic, this guy got hit and killed down in Dare County -- http://wtkr.com/2014/05/26/12-foot-alligator-struck-killed-by-vehicle-in-dare-county/

Maybe I'm looking at this in my 1990's mindset; I don't remember ever hearing of a bear sighting in the suburbs....However, I do remember of reports of alligators being sighted in that area of Va in the spring/summer time.

rafe
06-18-2014, 11:40
There was a bear captured in Brookline, MA almost exactly 2 years ago. Brookline is a close-in suburb of Boston, very urban.

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2014, 11:48
Of all the deaths on the AT, there are no known cases of anyone hiking the AT being killed by a bear.

Patience is a virture ;) Give it time, now that there is less hunting and their numbers are on the rise, big time:D

Never on the AT, but really close (only two examples, but there are other examples of people being attacked ...)

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-04-14-bear-attack_x.htm

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GSIqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=sS8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6831,4613259

yerbyray
06-19-2014, 09:52

Nope but there have been two within spitting distance of the AT.

Elora Petrasek, 6, female
02006-04-13-0000April 13, 2006
Wild
Cherokee National Forest, Tennessee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Cherokee_National_Forest)
A bear attacked the family at a waterfall near a campground. Petrasek's mother and brother were also injured. The bear was trapped and killed, and an unrelated bear was mistakenly killed.

Glenda Ann Bradley, 50, female
02000-05-21-0000May 21, 2000
Wild
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Great_Smoky_Mountains_National_Park)
Bradley was attacked and partially consumed by a mother bear and a cub, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) upstream from Elkmont, Tennessee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Elkmont,_Tennessee). It was the first fatal bear attack in a southeastern U.S. National Park (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/List_of_areas_in_the_United_States_National_Park_S ystem). While hovering over Bradley's corpse, the bears were shot and killed by park rangers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Park_rangers).

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 10:01
Just two days ago got a text alert from local PD another bear sighting in our area, Central NJ, (had one about 6 months ago) understand I live in a very populated housed, and commercial area...guess this is what happens when we continue to encroach and build on forested land, don't see it getting much better. Really thinkin hard about the whole bear spray carry thing, not only for personal safety, but more to condition the bears that humans are meanies, stay away. I know, shame shouldn't have to be that way...but again, don't see it getting much better with urban sprawl. :( it is what it is.

DLP
06-19-2014, 12:05
Just two days ago got a text alert from local PD another bear sighting in our area, Central NJ, (had one about 6 months ago) understand I live in a very populated housed, and commercial area...guess this is what happens when we continue to encroach and build on forested land, don't see it getting much better. Bears that come into town are almost always looking for food. My next door neighbor had his car broken into by a bear... but he had food trash in the car. Are you required to have your trash bear proofed? We are fined if a bear gets into the trash. (We also risk showing up on the Face Book "Tahoe Wall of Shame! https://www.facebook.com/tbwalloshame lol!)

"The IVGID ordinance says that trash cannot be taken to the curb before 5 a.m. on trash day, and if wildlife gets into trash a property owner must pay a $300 fine with the mandatory use of a wildlife resistant waste cart supplied by IVGID. On second offense, the fine is $1,000. Either first offense or second offense fines are refundable with the installation of a wildlife resistant container."

IVGID is voting this month on making home bear proof cans mandatory.

http://www.ivgid.org/utilities_services/bear_awareness

Bear proofed trash is WAY better than bear spray. Ditto bear canisters in the back country, IMO.

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 16:41
Bears that come into town are almost always looking for food. My next door neighbor had his car broken into by a bear... but he had food trash in the car. Are you required to have your trash bear proofed? We are fined if a bear gets into the trash. (We also risk showing up on the Face Book "Tahoe Wall of Shame! https://www.facebook.com/tbwalloshame lol!)

"The IVGID ordinance says that trash cannot be taken to the curb before 5 a.m. on trash day, and if wildlife gets into trash a property owner must pay a $300 fine with the mandatory use of a wildlife resistant waste cart supplied by IVGID. On second offense, the fine is $1,000. Either first offense or second offense fines are refundable with the installation of a wildlife resistant container."

Bear proofed trash is WAY better than bear spray. Ditto bear canisters in the back country, IMO.Wow that some steep fines, but I see what they're trying to achieve, some will likely be unable to afford the bear proof containers, others will welcome them and pay up, either way sounds like your town is gonna have it's way on this....not a bad thing. I commend them for the refund upon purchase, and not trying to make too much money on the folks, though I still feel those fines are harsh.

DLP
06-19-2014, 17:13
Having a photo your house show up on the FB Wall of Shame is what's harsh. :)

There was a woman about a block away hand FEEDING a bear. The bear then started breaking into houses and another neighbor turned the bear feeding lady in and the bear ended up being put down. The neighbor who turned her in got death threats. :( http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/9470357-113/bear-wildlife-adrienne-evans

I don't know how many bears have been put down. At least 6 in the past couple of years, but it is probably twice that. One was put down named "Raley" because it hung out in the Raley's Grocery Store parking lot. My sister in law went to the Bear Memorial. And a lot of bears die after being hit by cars... but thus far, the bears have killed 0 people.

PS... my brother had a bear living in his condo dumpster for 2 months, but this was 5 years ago. That wouldn't be tolerated now.

TNshadetree
01-14-2015, 10:22
Nope but there have been two within spitting distance of the AT.

Elora Petrasek, 6, female

02006-04-13-0000April 13, 2006

Wild

Cherokee National Forest, Tennessee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Cherokee_National_Forest)

A bear attacked the family at a waterfall near a campground. Petrasek's mother and brother were also injured. The bear was trapped and killed, and an unrelated bear was mistakenly killed.

Glenda Ann Bradley, 50, female

02000-05-21-0000May 21, 2000

Wild

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Great_Smoky_Mountains_National_Park)

Bradley was attacked and partially consumed by a mother bear and a cub, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) upstream from Elkmont, Tennessee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Elkmont,_Tennessee). It was the first fatal bear attack in a southeastern U.S. National Park (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/List_of_areas_in_the_United_States_National_Park_S ystem). While hovering over Bradley's corpse, the bears were shot and killed by park rangers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Park_rangers).

I was going to post these examples. New flash, bears can be dangerous, sure most bolt are ignore you, but don't be lulled into thinking they can't be a life threatening danger.

The Cherokee National Forest incident happened on a very popular and busy trail (Benton Falls Trail) and there were witnesses to the attack other than the family so people did not deter this bear. To her credit the mother attacked the bear and repelled it, but the 6 year old had run during the inital attack. The bear then found the isolated girl and attacked and killed her up the trail. This one gives me a bit of a chill because I had taken my children there when they were very small and cooked up a lunch for us while there.

The Smoky Mountain incident happened while the woman was with a guy who was trout fishing the Little River. She had walked along the river out of sight of her companion.

Traveler
01-14-2015, 10:40

Bear proofed trash is WAY better than bear spray. Ditto bear canisters in the back country, IMO.

I am curious how this would work, as bear proof trash cans are not easily handled by commercial trash collection equipment or personnel. Will you have to take your trash to a communal container in the District or to a transfer station of some sort?

Odd Man Out
01-14-2015, 14:31
To keep things in perspective. There have been 5 bear fatalities in the AT states in the last 115 years. The rate of automobile fatalities in the AT states is about 25 per day. So, riding in your car is about 210,000 times more dangerous than a bear. I advise you don't drive to the trail head.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1104.xls

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/jwmg.72/asset/supinfo/jwmg_72_sm_tableS1.pdf?v=1&6c85c343

Sheriff Cougar
01-14-2015, 20:42
Bangorme, what is a cougar imitation?

Traveler
01-15-2015, 08:36
Bangorme, what is a cougar imitation?

Sitting at a bar, sipping a Cosmo whilst twirling a shoe on a toe with a "come talk to me" look...

Come to think of it, that may work well to scare bears :D

Hoofit
01-15-2015, 16:49
I had a paradigm, but I traded it for 4 nickles.
Fair trade......