PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bike as a shuttle?

Flyboy718
06-17-2014, 16:53
Anybody ever hid a mountain bike where you plan to come off trail near a road crossing and use it to get back to your vehicle? I am planning a hike of about 32 miles and there are forest roads to utilize my bike on once I get off trail.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 16:57
Im not a "bike" rider. It's been years, actually.

How long does a 32 mile bike ride take, on 'average', on a forrest road?

(Would you wear the pack?)

I never even thought of the bike thing, but that sounds like it has possibility to be brilliant, if done right.

colorado_rob
06-17-2014, 16:58
Yes, it is done all the time here in CO, I have done this myself. I didn't rely on hiding the bike though, I used a bike lock and a tree (and also somewhat hidden), admittedly not bomb-proof, but the bike was still there, just fine.

A slightly more famous example, some have heard of, but carry a sharp knife!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

Flyboy718
06-17-2014, 17:10
awesome! Good to know that I am not crazy...

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 17:11
whats the average "bike speed" per hour? its something like 5-10miles, or so, correct?

WingedMonkey
06-17-2014, 17:22
I've done it for years.

Get a cable lock that is long enough to reach around a tree. The one I use now allows me to make up my own combination.

32 miles on forest roads can be a full days ride.

Flyboy718
06-17-2014, 17:22
And the route I would take back via forest service roads according to google maps says it would take 4 hours for 30 miles...ymmv

soulrebel
06-17-2014, 17:23
on trails it's about 2-8 mph avg for most riders, advanced and pros will ride 8-12mph avg. on roads 8-18mph for most, 15-23mph avg for an elite/pro mtb with 2.1-2.35inch tires.

peakbagger
06-17-2014, 17:25
Yup, I was filling in a section in the whites one day and loaded my 40 year old Schwinn varsity 10 speed (bought long ago with profits from my paper route) and dropped the bike off at one spot and hiked to it. I chain the bike up but usually just lay it off in the woods a bit. I try to set it up so I coast most of the way back.

Flyboy718
06-17-2014, 17:26
I talked to an outfitter service who does shuttle service in the area. and I told him my idea...he said, "what would you wanna do that for, I never heard of anyone doing that" I charge $50 for shuttle service for that 30 mile section.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 17:29
I guess it just depends if you'd rather have a fast ride, or $50 in your pocket.

But If you think the bike thing would be a regular thing, you can use the $50 shuttle fee towards a nice bike with comfy amenities and a each for your pack

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2014, 17:33
So often I have considered doing something like that.

I'm not particularly physically fit, but I can ride my mountain bike an average of about 7mph over hilly back-country bicycle trails.
On a paved road, relatively flat road (or a a rails-to-trails system) I can keep up a speed of 13-18mph.
On a forestry service road, I would imagine that I could average 10mph.

This all assumes that your starting elevation is about equal to your ending elevation. If there is a net climb involved, the average speed would be slower.

coach lou
06-17-2014, 17:37
I also do it all the time. I actually have a old beater that runs great just looks like a throw away. I walk into the bush a little lock it to a tree and go to the other end of my walk. Rail trails that intersect with the AT are great for this.

Flyboy718
06-17-2014, 17:46
I think a lot of times we dont do stuff because of the unknown...I think we should always be trying things no matter if they work or dont. By posting this I gained valuable tool for my new hiking hobby...I hope this opened many doors for others.

rafe
06-17-2014, 18:01
Anybody ever hid a mountain bike where you plan to come off trail near a road crossing and use it to get back to your vehicle? I am planning a hike of about 32 miles and there are forest roads to utilize my bike on once I get off trail.

I've done many sections of AT and LT this way, in MA, VT, NH and ME. Usually sections of 20-35 miles or so. I'm mostly on roads for the bike rides, but they can be very steep at times. On one of these hikes, between Lyme, NH and Glencliff, I biked logging roads with no map; that was nerve-wracking. On another hike (N. Adams to Dalton) I got to my destination too early, didn't feel like camping by the road, so did the bike ride back to my car in the dead of night. I usually do the bike ride first, hike to the car, then pick up the bike on the way home. Something to watch out for on such hikes: arrange your direction so that you're doing as much of biking downhill as possible. Glad I biked from Grafton Notch to Gorham, rather than the other way around.

rafe
06-17-2014, 18:03
whats the average "bike speed" per hour? its something like 5-10miles, or so, correct?

I average 12-13 mph on a bike. I'm dreadfully slow. Fit young guys should be able to do 16, 18, or more.

Kolo
06-17-2014, 18:08
I use my bike on most of my AT hikes and it gets the job done. For me, the bike is the harder part of the trip. I seem to be able to handle the hiking, but the bike will humble me quick, especially in the mountains. It's fun downhill, not so much going back up. I usually bike to where I want to get on the trail and hike back to my truck. I figure it is safer, or less painful to be able to drive out after a long day or two instead of having to bike back to the truck. I'm thinking of things like turned ankles, pulled muscles, etc. or any other annoyance than can happen in the woods. Although mine is not a mountain bike, it does have a fatter tires than the street bikes (it's a beach rental bike I picked up at the end of the season sell off) so it does pretty good on the forest roads I've been on.

rafe
06-17-2014, 18:10
I also do it all the time. I actually have a old beater that runs great just looks like a throw away. I walk into the bush a little lock it to a tree and go to the other end of my walk. Rail trails that intersect with the AT are great for this.

Yeah that sometimes is enough, especially if it's a remote trailhead. But I use a cable lock most of the time, just 'cuz I really value that bike. It's nothing fancy, but at this point it's an old trusted friend.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 18:20
Do you guys ride with your packs on your back?
Or do you have a rack/backet? (When I was 12 I had a bike with a flat rack in the back but I think it barely held a newspaper bag and not much else)

Kolo
06-17-2014, 18:28
Or do you have a rack/backet? (When I was 12 I had a bike with a flat rack in the back but I think it barely held a newspaper bag and not much else)

I ride with my pack on. It's no big deal, especially if it's just a day trip or an over-night.

rafe
06-17-2014, 18:30

I have a day pack on my back while I'm biking. It'll stay with the bike while I'm hiking. The whole process begins by hiding your hiking pack in the woods somewhere near where you wanna start hiking. Drive to the other end, park. Ride bicycle back to the pack, hike back to the car. Pick up the bike on the way home.

I've worried about animals getting into the pack during the bike ride, but it's never happened, knock wood.

It's a PITA, yes. But it definitely adds to the experience, two adventures for the price of one!

I have used shuttlers as well, particularly on the last few LT sections I've done.

Venchka
06-17-2014, 18:37
Y'all must be reading my mind. I have this very plan in mind. On pavement. Touring bike. Frameless backpack that rolls up and fits in a pannier. However, the plan is predicated on leaving the bike in a secure location - Lodge/resort near a trailhead, bike shop, ranger station, etc. - as the bike will be equipped with touring luggage, etc. Part bike touring. Part backpacking. The best of both worlds.

Wayne

perrymk
06-17-2014, 18:40
I've been section-day-hiking the Florida Trail with a bicycle shuttle. First a regular bicycle, then an electric bicycle (http://prodecotech.com/). The electric bike goes 20 miles in the same time and with the same effort as the regular bike would go 6-8 miles.

Check my posts in the Florida Trail forum.

WingedMonkey
06-17-2014, 18:41
And the route I would take back via forest service roads according to google maps says it would take 4 hours for 30 miles...ymmv

"Forest service roads" can be anything from well maintained pleasant rides to gravel or even larger rock covered slides, to seldom used grassed over (including small trees and shrubs) access roads.

Try and find out from a local or someone with recent knowledge like a ranger that uses it.

Not that important unless you are fighting time or darkness.

On another note. After a few times walking the bike a long way you will start carrying a spare tube and change tools (lightweight plastic levers) on the bike.

rafe
06-17-2014, 18:57
Y'all must be reading my mind. I have this very plan in mind. On pavement. Touring bike. Frameless backpack that rolls up and fits in a pannier. However, the plan is predicated on leaving the bike in a secure location - Lodge/resort near a trailhead, bike shop, ranger station, etc. - as the bike will be equipped with touring luggage, etc. Part bike touring. Part backpacking. The best of both worlds.

Wayne

Nah you read mine. :)

1997 Gorham-Grafton
???? Glencliff-Lyme
1999 Stratton-Caratunk
1999 Grafton-Andover B Road
2000 N. Adams-Dalton
2002 Hanover-Lyme
2004 N. Adams-Bennington
2012 Killington-Brandon Gap (LT)

Coffee
06-17-2014, 19:01
Somewhat off topic, but a cross country bike ride is on my bucket list. I wonder how much overlap there is between the long distance hiking and biking communities.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 19:04
Somewhat off topic, but a cross country bike ride is on my bucket list. I wonder how much overlap there is between the long distance hiking and biking communities.

Quite a bit. Many Hostels have a large hiking and bicycling crowed. (specifically damascus) and there's some long distance trails that hikers and bicycles use

rafe
06-17-2014, 19:13
I've been section-day-hiking the Florida Trail with a bicycle shuttle. First a regular bicycle, then an electric bicycle (http://prodecotech.com/). The electric bike goes 20 miles in the same time and with the same effort as the regular bike would go 6-8 miles.

Check my posts in the Florida Trail forum.

I have considered an electric bike or a very light motorized bicycle (like 50cc.) I worry about 2 things: what's the total range, and can it go up steep grades?

rafe
06-17-2014, 19:16

The Place in Damascus is one place where the two communities intersect. But when I think cross-country, I think east-west. I imagine the Rockies and Cascades are a b!tch. The midwest must be mind-bogglingly boring (it's that way in a car at 65 mph.) And then there's the desert....

perrymk
06-17-2014, 19:23
I have considered an electric bike or a very light motorized bicycle (like 50cc.) I worry about 2 things: what's the total range, and can it go up steep grades?

Of course this varies with model. Mine is rated at 28-38 miles with up to a 210 pound load. Me with clothes and pack weigh just under 210 pounds and I have gone 25 miles and still had some juice left so it seems at least for my bike, the range is accurate. Since I made my purchase an upgraded battery has become available.

As for steep grades, it is still a bicycle and not a motorcycle. One must still pedal but with the electric boost the pedaling will be much easier. Mine is an eight speed so one can always downshift.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 19:33
Yeah, can't go wrong with an electric bike... because you can still peddle to save electric energy.

(Peddle when its flat, and you can... save power for if you think you'll have many hills"

rafe
06-17-2014, 19:48
Hills are almost always a given, if it's the AT or LT. The earth's surface is 3-dimensional. "Gaps" and "notches" in the trail are usually passes as far as most folks are concerned.

WingedMonkey
06-17-2014, 19:50

In my experience some, but not much, although for me most of the gear is the same.

If I happen to run into someone else biking long distance and I mention something like "I hiked the Appalachian Trail" the usual response is "Why?"

If I run into hikers at a trail head and I mention that "I biked to get here", the usual response is "Why?"

:sun

There are some that understand both.

coach lou
06-17-2014, 21:21

I drape my green poncho over it, and hang it in a tree.

Venchka
06-17-2014, 21:32
Yeah, can't go wrong with an electric bike... because you can still peddle to save electric energy.

(Peddle when its flat, and you can... save power for if you think you'll have many hills"

Flat on road bike is awful. Rolling hills are much nicer. You can rest going downhill.
The San Juan Skyway is made for hike & bike. Likewise Grand Teton & Yellowstone.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

saltysack
06-17-2014, 21:54
I thought about using my honda ruckus scooter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

importman77
06-18-2014, 06:24
I thought about using my honda ruckus scooter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done that myself. I have a chinese 150 scooter that I picked up cheap a few years ago. It's a great way to shuttle yourself. I've also done the mountain bike although it wasn't on the A/T. I used it on the Palmetto Trail. I considered it for the A/T but I wasn't sure how my legs would feel about combining that much walking and biking on mountainous terrain. The scooter works great for that. I can haul it on a rack that attaches to the trailer hitch on my truck and park it at my ending point or park the truck and ride the scooter to my start point. Not sure I'd want to try a 50cc as someone mentioned above though. It would probably struggle seriously on the uphills.

Flyboy718
06-18-2014, 08:16
While I was looking for info on whether anyone had ever used a bike I stumbled upon http://www.bikepacking.net/ and I will be interested in doing bikepacking as well sometimes. I like the idea of biking to my starting point and then hiking to my truck, that makes much more sense...I need to look at which end will have the altitude gain and let that dictate which one I do.

Cookerhiker
06-18-2014, 09:18

I did several hikes using a hybrid bike, but I did the biking portion first because I thought it was more difficult and I wanted to get it over with. Parked the car at the endpoint, cycled to the start, hid and locked the bike, hiked to the car, drove back for the bike. The Cumberland Valley in PA is an ideal location for this type of hike.

Cookerhiker
06-18-2014, 09:24
Some of the ones I did:

1. Northern Virginia - the roller coaster section between Rt. 50 and Snicker's Gap (Rt. 7). Much of the ride was along VA Rt. 600
2. PA - Cumberland Valley as mentioned in my above post
3. PA - Rt. 225 to Rt. 325. Cycled downhill from 225, left turn on 325 out to where the AT crossed, hiked back (SOBO) to 225
4. NY/CT - Between CT Rt. 55 and NY Rt. 22.
5. CT - Rt. 44 to the Undermountain Trail Junction, Rt. 41

coach lou
06-18-2014, 09:36
http://www.traillink.com/trail/ashuwillticook-rail-trail.aspx

This runs from Dalton to Adams, or Kaye Wood Shelter to Patteson Road, North Adams

rafe
06-18-2014, 09:45

This runs from Dalton to Adams, or Kaye Wood Shelter to Patteson Road, North Adams

OOh, great link there Coach Lou. Prolly a lot more scenic than Rte. 8.

rafe
06-18-2014, 10:03
Some of the ones I did:

1. Northern Virginia - the roller coaster section between Rt. 50 and Snicker's Gap (Rt. 7). Much of the ride was along VA Rt. 600
2. PA - Cumberland Valley as mentioned in my above post
3. PA - Rt. 225 to Rt. 325. Cycled downhill from 225, left turn on 325 out to where the AT crossed, hiked back (SOBO) to 225
4. NY/CT - Between CT Rt. 55 and NY Rt. 22.
5. CT - Rt. 44 to the Undermountain Trail Junction, Rt. 41

Good list there. I wish I had edit capability; to my earlier list, I'd add: the MA Mid-State Trail, all 95 miles. I've cycled past the mighty Lake Chaubunagungamaug. Woo hoo!

WingedMonkey
06-18-2014, 10:34
While I was looking for info on whether anyone had ever used a bike I stumbled upon http://www.bikepacking.net/ and I will be interested in doing bikepacking as well sometimes. I like the idea of biking to my starting point and then hiking to my truck, that makes much more sense...I need to look at which end will have the altitude gain and let that dictate which one I do.

Ocean to Lake/ Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail (LOST) trail trail head in December/January

This is my typical setup for 7-10 day bikepacking trip locally. I also have a folding bike that I can use for Amtrak to trails around Florida (they have cut way back on checked baggage stations here, and routes).

The red rear pannier converts to a backpack and the other rear pannier has a detachable fanny pack I can wear under the pack. The handle bar bag can also be attached to the pack.

If I'm doing more hiking, I can carry a deconstructed internal frame pack that I can pull the aluminum stays out of and roll up

I think Couch Lou has similar setup in a pic here somewhere.

coach lou
06-18-2014, 10:41
I do, in my gallery....but it is a strictly bike touring set-up. I use the beat up mtn. bike for hike shuttling

Venchka
06-18-2014, 11:16
My bike of choice. My other bike is a late 80's Fisher HK-II. Disclaimer: None of these bikes belong to me.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=174490

Places folks ride.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/?o=1

More on topic.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/great-divide-mountain-bike-route/

59 days.

http://adventuresoftheheart.com/great-divide-trail_283.html

Wayne

brian039
06-18-2014, 11:25
I've considered this but I have found it is easy to pick a section with paved roads as endpoints, park my truck, hitch-hike to the other end, then walk to my truck.

WingedMonkey
06-18-2014, 11:28

Here's a better upload

rafe
06-18-2014, 11:35
I've considered this but I have found it is easy to pick a section with paved roads as endpoints, park my truck, hitch-hike to the other end, then walk to my truck.

Hitching is cool but if it takes longer than you expect, it cuts into your hiking time. That matters if you're taking a precious vacation day to create a 3-day weekend for a section hike.

Flyboy718
06-18-2014, 11:35
I am also an avid kayaker...anyone ever use a kayak as a shuttle?

rafe
06-18-2014, 11:49

That would be tough. :) But you'll see kayakers at lots of places on the AT. At NOC and DWG are two that I recall. "Aqua blazing" comes close to what you're describing, folks do it on the Delaware River, maybe other places besides.

Different Socks
06-18-2014, 11:58
Did bike shuttles all the time when I section hiked the Ice Age Trail. Never had to hide it, but did lock it up.

coach lou
06-18-2014, 12:01

HA!!! Dalton to Bulls Bridge, on the Housey....Ct/Ma!

perrymk
06-19-2014, 05:14
I'd like this minivan-motorcycle rig (http://floridahikes.com/walking-the-reservation) for self-shuttling.

rafe
06-19-2014, 06:49
I'd like this minivan-motorcycle rig (http://floridahikes.com/walking-the-reservation) for self-shuttling.

Trouble with the motorcycle is it's heavy. Can one person get it on and off the car rack? And it's harder to hide than a bike. Vehicles parked at trailheads are always at risk, to some extent.

wormer
06-19-2014, 07:06
I use my bike quite often to assist in my AT hikes. I place my bike where I am going to end my hike and my truck where plan to start the hike. If possible, I try to set it up so the trip with the bike back to the truck is down hill as much as possible. My favorite place to hike this way is the Caribou Valley Rd. You can peddle back to Sugarloaf or the Rt# 27 AT crossing which ever works best for you.
I also use a motorcycle for the same purpose, but it's more complicated than the bike. I have to tie a rope to the head of the truck body and come-a-long the motorcycle using a ramp up into the truck body.

garlic08
06-19-2014, 08:29
When I cycled the Adventure Cycling "Northern Tier" route two years ago, I camped in a town park in Montana one night and there were two other cyclists there. It turns out we all had thru hiked the AT. We traveled for some days together--we all had the same traveling style, molded by thru hiking. On my hikes, I meet quite a few cycle tourists. I think there's a bit of overlap.

I have used a bike for shuttling, but more often just ride to a trailhead, sometimes for overnighters. Most memorable was a five-day trip from my house in Arizona to the highest point in the state, Mt Humphreys. Here is where UL hiking really comes into its own. My pack is a 9 oz silnylon job that easily stuffs into a pannier, and the sub-10 pound base weight makes the biking a real joy.

Most extreme, I think, is the Swiss guy who cycled from home and summitted Everest.

coach lou
06-19-2014, 08:49
27479 Youz guyz are going to make me get this baby back on the road.

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 09:01
27479 Youz guyz are going to make me get this baby back on the road.Love it, I gotta maybe think about incorporating some of this style into my plans, just seems to have so many possibilities.

rafe
06-19-2014, 09:20
Well there are multiple notions going on here -- long-distance bike-packing, and bikes used for self-shuttling to trailheads on AT, LT, etc. For the latter case, we're not necessarily carrying a lot of stuff on the bike ride, and the bike ride is a means to an end, an alternative to either hitching or arranging for a shuttle.

Eg. for my Grafton-Gorham bike-hike, it was a half-day on a bike (maybe 35 miles or so, over three or four hours) followed by about three days of hiking back to the car (two partial days and two full days.)

coach lou
06-19-2014, 09:55
Love it, I gotta maybe think about incorporating some of this style into my plans, just seems to have so many possibilities.
'Socks...can you ride in the Pine Barrens?

coach lou
06-19-2014, 09:57
Well there are multiple notions going on here -- long-distance bike-packing, and bikes used for self-shuttling to trailheads on AT, LT, etc. For the latter case, we're not necessarily carrying a lot of stuff on the bike ride, and the bike ride is a means to an end, an alternative to either hitching or arranging for a shuttle.

Eg. for my Grafton-Gorham bike-hike, it was a half-day on a bike (maybe 35 miles or so, over three or four hours) followed by about three days of hiking back to the car (two partial days and two full days.)

That is an issue. That is, not having a long tuff hike out and then having a long bike ride, and a long drive home!

BillyGr
06-20-2014, 12:42

From the link, it says from Adams to the Berkshire Mall, which is what I thought as well.

Not that it couldn't be useful, but there would still be some road riding between Dalton and the mall and probably some at the other end if trying to connect to the AT in North Adams. Would still help for a big chunk, though, to get off of the roads.

coach lou
06-20-2014, 13:17
From the link, it says from Adams to the Berkshire Mall, which is what I thought as well.

Not that it couldn't be useful, but there would still be some road riding between Dalton and the mall and probably some at the other end if trying to connect to the AT in North Adams. Would still help for a big chunk, though, to get off of the roads.
Yes, in fact you would be on Rt. 2 from Pattensen Rd. to Rt 7, and maybe 3 mile to Adams where you pic up the start of the Rail Trail. You then ride 12/14 mile to just shy of the Mall entrance where you take the left hand dirt road, which intersects with the AT in Dalton. What does make it alittle special is from Adams to Cheshire it runs along a river and swampish country side and then it runs along Cheshire Res.