PDA

View Full Version : My 2014 Plan

wornoutboots
06-17-2014, 19:48
After bailing last year at Bishop Pass @ 140 miles I plan on doing things a little differently, I'll still be starting in mid-August but here are a few things I want to do since I have a little bit of experience & much more research under my belt. If any of you have suggestion to enhance the trip, it's always appreciated!

1) I'll still acclimate at TM the 1st day

2) acclimate in the Valley 2nd day

3)This year I think I'll take the last bus 1:30 bus the GP & grab a huge lunch prior to leaving for LYV

4) I'll skip Halfdome & due Cloudsrest

5) I'll skip TM & head through Echo Valley & meet back up with the JMT in Lyell Canyon

6) I'll head cross country prior to & behind Thousand Island lake to Garnet Lake for a different prospective on that area

7) After RM I'll head into Fish Valley camp @ Iva Bell hot springs then into Cascade Valley to VVR for a possible zero which I totally skipped last year

8) Camp at Sallie Keys & at the 2nd last bridge in the San Joaquin River Valley before heading up Evolution Valley (for some reason those 2 places reached out to me as really cool camp sites)

9) Cowboy camp as much as possible

10) Check out & Possibly camp at Bench Lake

I'm also going to send a light drop to RM & VVR & a heavier one to MTR & possibly a 2nd one with a few micro brews or a bottle of wine in it?

This year my DR. has already given me a prescription for AS & I'm going to take it much slower say @ 10 mile days

Cookerhiker
06-18-2014, 09:34
Since acclimation is so important, as well as hydration, I'd personally forgo the beer and wine until after the hike is complete, in which case you celebrate in Lone Pine or wherever you take out.

jj442434
06-18-2014, 14:05
I've heard that Split Mountain, just past Mather Pass, is a very cool cross country trip to take. Apparently its one of the easiest California 14'ers to reach. Several people who I passed on trail last year recommended it

wornoutboots
06-19-2014, 00:04
Thanks cooker!! I like that suggestion!!

wornoutboots
06-23-2014, 23:05
Thanks jj, I'll look into it!