PDA

View Full Version : Pack recommendation?

Bushcraftbaby
06-17-2014, 20:20
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a backpack and I could use your help. I am 5' 0" on a good day, female. I am not new to hiking and camping, I'm just looking to go lighter; ultralight if possible. I am looking for a pack that I can use now for 3-5 day hikes with the ultimate goal of hiking the AT. I've been looking at an Osprey Aura 50 (small)and the fit is really good. Just wondering if there other packs I should look at to compare. Price is a concern, but will spend the money if it is going to last me awhile. Thanks for any input you can provide.

i would also like to know your thoughts on quilts vs. bags? Which bag or quilt?

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 20:58
we have a "female hiker" thread here, as well. Im sure they could give the perfect recommendation. I'm guessing 100% of them have packs.

dstreet02
06-17-2014, 21:07
I just ordered the Zpacks Arc Blast, which is obviously ultralight. I've heard that many women use it and find it comfortable.
Added bonus that sealed the deal: they recently switched all of their shoulder straps to the "s" style which is much more of a female figure friendly design.

Bushcraftbaby
06-17-2014, 21:26
Thanks Ricky. I put a similar post up in the ladies forum. Dstreet02, I would love to hear your thoughts on the zpac when you get it. Thank you both for the input.

Ricky&Jack
06-17-2014, 21:35
Also, if you narrow your choices down, you might want to look that pack up on youtube. Before I settled on my big pac, i looked at reviews and etc on youtube so i could see how it looked on a person of my same size etc.

DLP
06-17-2014, 22:49
I'm 5'2"... in the morning. :)

I need a bag that can carry a bear canister, two sleeping bags and 4-6 liters of water. I also did not want 17 zippers and sleeping bag compartments, etc, etc. I basically wanted a bag and two side pockets. (YMMV... and you may have different wants/needs).

My previous backpack was an external frame that I got from a thrift store for $5 in 1998. It only weighed 3 lbs, and had a lot of sentimental value. But it was time for an upgrade.

First, I tried a REI Flash from the REi Online Outlet (because I'm kind of cheap...) I LOVED it with 15 lbs in it. And it totally sucked with 25 lbs in it. So I returned it.

Next, I got an ULA Catalyst. I love it and would recommend it. I also believe that you can return it if you put it a bunch of stuff in there and wear it in the house for a day and don't like it. I think that it weighed 48ish oz when I got it and I've cut stuff off of it and have gotten it down to 34 oz.

I watched this ULA Circuit video while I was deciding... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g9XijvG4qc
Ultimately went with the Catalyst. It is hard to find a bag that will comfortably haul 25-30 lbs (if need be...) and weighs 2-3 lbs and costs $250.

Happy investigating!

DLP
06-18-2014, 00:12
I've been looking at an Osprey Aura 50 (small)and the fit is really good. My sister just got an Osprey pack and used it this weekend. She was very happy with it. She really enjoys organizing things like the lid and different compartments, so the pack worked for her. It would drive me crazy, but we are all different. I did like the really, really stretchy side pockets.

I would also like to know your thoughts on quilts vs. bags? Which bag or quilt? I slept with my sleeping back unzipped for a year and then (very carefully!) cut the zipper off of my bag (since I never used it), but I sleep kind of warm. I only missed the zipper one night. :) It is an REi Sub Kilo bag... which they no longer carry. I think that they replaced it with the Flash Sleeping Bag. I like a hood on my sleeping bag/quilt. I cut the hood off of an old synthetic bag and slept in a hat for a year... but it wasn't the same.

I just finished Long Distance Hiking by Dan Feldman. I like statistics and graphs and thought it was good. http://www.amazon.com/Long-Distance-Hiking-Dan-Feldman-ebook/dp/B00EUB3VXI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403064274&sr=1-1&keywords=long+distance+hiking

He polled thru hikers and people were pretty much happy with their gear. Nobody quit the trail because they bought a sleeping bag, and wished they had a quilt. :) Most of us do our research and buy what we buy and we are pretty much happy. Until we want to buy something else that might work better... :)

rocketsocks
06-18-2014, 01:45
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a backpack and I could use your help. I am 5' 0" on a good day, female. I am not new to hiking and camping, I'm just looking to go lighter; ultralight if possible. I am looking for a pack that I can use now for 3-5 day hikes with the ultimate goal of hiking the AT. I've been looking at an Osprey Aura 50 (small)and the fit is really good. Just wondering if there other packs I should look at to compare. Price is a concern, but will spend the money if it is going to last me awhile. Thanks for any input you can provide.

In all my years of going to different outfitters, I don't think I ever saw one of those "You must be this tall" signs with it's hand stretched out to the prescribed level that you must first stand next to while in the presence of a sales person. That said, if you want to go ultra light, I think there's better choices that the Aura and if you still want stay within the Osprey line. The osprey Exos is a pretty sweet pack, almost a lb. less that the Aura, but not as sturdily built, it's lighter in weight and construction. But if your height changes through out the day(I think you were just being funny, so am I, then again maybe you weren't) the Ospey Atmos with fully adjustable torso height, and gender specific shoulder straps, might be the way to go, though not the lightest pack, it can be dialed in quite nicely. It's what I use right now.

Venchka
06-18-2014, 08:24
My granddaughter is a bit taller than you. She has an Osprey Kyte 46 and loves it. If your local dealer has the Kyte 46 in your size it is worth a look.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

bigcranky
06-18-2014, 10:24
Osprey is good. You might also check the ULA Circuit. It's about 2 pounds, with an internal frame, and can handle a 30 pound load. My lovely wife just switched from an Osprey, which she loved, to the Circuit, which she was very surprised to like so much.

Namtrag
06-18-2014, 10:33
My wife loves my Talon 44, and wants to buy the women's version of it. She is 5'2". The Talon 44 easily holds all my stuff, in fact, I honestly believe it holds more than my 60 liter Osprey Volt.

The Old Boot
06-18-2014, 11:12
Because my tripping usually involves lots of water I went with the ULA Epic - it's a pack that no one here even mentions but it's got all the great features of ULA packs - major comfort factors, S-curve shoulder straps, replaceable hipbelts for when I lose weight, etc. etc.

The neat thing about this one is that you use a dry bag with the pack...no need for pack cover and I can change out the size of bag depending on what I need to carry. I went with a 65L bag for hiking and single carries and have a pair of 35L bags for when I know I'm going to be double carrying on portages.

I'm not sure why no one has cottoned on to this great pack here but you may want to take a look at it.

BTW, I'm 5' tall on a good day probably 30 years ago...rofl.

Feral Bill
06-18-2014, 14:21
You have a pack that fits well, and it is big enough to carry all a person your size would want to. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Venchka
06-18-2014, 15:29
Bill's advice is good. That philosophy guides my gear purchases, or lack of gear purchases.
On the other hand, if you don't have a pack that is working for you, a couple of ideas that get very little mention here.
Boreas packs. A new company. Decent reviews. Currently on sale.
http://www.boreasgear.com/collections/on-sale?mc_cid=a0980cefaa&mc_eid=5f6ebaaba6
The Jensen pack. I bought mine in the mid-1970s. The company, rivendell Mountain Works, went away in the 1980s. A man in Seattle resurrected Rivendell Mountain Works. A good idea is hard to kill. One word of the caution: you will need a compact sleeping bag. I am in the market for a new 20 degree down bag. I took my Jensen pack to a local Western Mountaineering dealer recently. The WM Regular size (6') Ultralite fit in the sleeping bag compartment. If you have, or are thinking of getting a similar bag, then the Jensen pack will work for you. There is also a Giant Jensen for larger bags. Work your way through all of the pages describing the Jensen pack. At 2 to 2 1/2 pounds I think it is a WINNER! Made by hand in the U.S.A.
http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/about-our-packs/
http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/about-our-packs/jensen-packs/
http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/about-our-packs/jensen-packs/sizing/

Wayne

RockDoc
06-18-2014, 17:18
The lightest packs generally are not sold at places like REI, but at small boutique shops like UL, SMD, etc. The Osprey packs are comfortable, well made, and popular on the AT but they are heavy (3lb 6 oz to over 4 lbs) compared to real ultralight packs, which are around 2 lbs.
A 2 lb pack makes it possible for you to have a 6 lb "big 3" if you get a sub kilo bag and a 2 lb Gateway Cape or similar.
With a 6 lb base weight you are well on the way to having a pretty light pack.
Not so much, if your big 3 weight creeps up above 10 lbs.

Just Bill
06-18-2014, 17:28

Not women's specific- but an excellent pack you can find at REI. 2lbs or so, $200- it also has additional top flap to allow you to remove the brain (top) for shorter trips. A little tinkering would bring it down to under 2lbs. Very good starter pack without spending huge bucks. http://www.rei.com/product/864669/osprey-exos-58-pack#specsTab

Otherwise- tons of UL cottage folks like ULA or Zpacks that will require some research. If you are close to Neels Gap they may still have some in stock to try on. Also a guy in Asheville area who's name others may recall you could try on. Hard to buy a pack online though when you don't have average male proportions.

Quilts/bags- long topic- some good recent threads.
In your area- consider a synthetic quilt or dri-down model.
Bag is safe and better if unsure of your system
Quilt is good for summer or when you have a better understanding on how to use it.
Or- 32 and under- bag 50 and above- quilt in between is harder.

q-tip
06-19-2014, 09:04
Granite Gear Crown VC, my go to pack and they have womens design.

jdenkevitz
06-19-2014, 22:00
Not women's specific- but an excellent pack you can find at REI. 2lbs or so, $200- it also has additional top flap to allow you to remove the brain (top) for shorter trips. A little tinkering would bring it down to under 2lbs. Very good starter pack without spending huge bucks. http://www.rei.com/product/864669/osprey-exos-58-pack#specsTab

I just picked up that exact pack at REI's garage sale for 65 bucks. I really really like it. Very lightweight (compared to my Kelty Redcloud 110, which is like an aircraft carrier on my back), and well designed.