PDA

View Full Version : FM radio reception on CT?

stumblegasp
06-17-2014, 22:54
Can anyone report on FM radio reception on the trail (not in towns)? Seems unlikely, but this is the place to get first-hand info.
Thanks.

On Track
06-18-2014, 16:22
Maybe this will help, though I have not studied precisely what you asked. I have driven between Denver and Durango many times and the FM radio reception on the highways is nearly nonexistent. Since the CT loosely tracks the highway routes, I'd guess the FM reception on the CT is also nearly nonexistent.

colorado_rob
06-22-2014, 09:18
I've since gone with my vehicle's sound system bluetooth synched with my phone's music (I have about 150 "albums" stored as MP3's) , but not that long ago in my very frequent drives all along the roads near the CT, it was pretty darn thin for FM stations, though in summit county (sections 7-9 area) there is a good station, maybe 102.7, plays a nice mix of old and new rock that we'd catch in a lot of areas.

I'm guessing you won't have much to listen to, sorry! I believe there is plenty of AM stuff to hear, especially at night. AM seems to be all talk though these days, or sports.

stumblegasp
10-21-2014, 21:50
Can anyone report on FM radio reception on the trail (not in towns)?
Thanks.

Answering my own question: I got FM reception almost every night on the CT. Mostly "classic rock," with scant news & weather (which was what I wanted). Still, it was sometimes nice to hear from the outside world.

Nooga
10-22-2014, 09:56
I think it is a function of your radio. I got reception most nights, but some nights nothing. A fellow hikers radio got better reception, but I'm not sure if he was able to find a station every night.

SteelCut
10-22-2014, 10:56
Answering my own question: I got FM reception almost every night on the CT. Mostly "classic rock," with scant news & weather (which was what I wanted). Still, it was sometimes nice to hear from the outside world.

If you are interested in weather, you might consider a radio that picks up the NOAA weather band. I use this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-portable-digital-am-fm-radio-with-weather-band/8692471.p?id=1205537512504&skuId=8692471&st=sony%20am%20fm%20radio&cp=1&lp=1). However, not sure how the reception is on the CT for that band but it does work for me in places on the AT. For news you still have to rely on AM/FM stations.

Starchild
10-22-2014, 12:00
Another 'For news and weather' Suggestion, try AM, especially at night where it can bounce off the atmosphere.

Pedaling Fool
10-22-2014, 14:21
Music gets old after a while; I like to get away from News on the trail and the weather reports are more than useless in the mountains. The only reason to have a radio is to listen to http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ on them sleepless nights:)

Starchild
10-22-2014, 14:54
Music gets old after a while; I like to get away from News on the trail and the weather reports are more than useless in the mountains. The only reason to have a radio is to listen to http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ on them sleepless nights:)
Bold mine

Weather radar can be invaluable though.