PDA

View Full Version : Trail Butter

fredmugs
06-18-2014, 10:32
I just saw that Anish posted a picture of this stuff on her Facebook page. Has anyone tried this?

http://trailbutter.com/nutritionals/

I'm getting sick of eating Met-Rx bars and these look pretty good. Then again so do Clif Bars but I can't stomach those things.

nastynate
06-18-2014, 10:51
I make my own sun butter and almond butter. All you need is a good food processor and the roasted nut or seed of your choice. I like to add a little honey.

Have you tried any of the Probars? The have a bunch of different kinds, great cal/oz, etc. I prefer the superfood slam and superfruit slam.

Chair-man
06-18-2014, 10:56
It's got to be healthier than peanut butter

Dogwood
06-18-2014, 11:45
Several products like this have appeared in the outdoor market arena recently. Pocket Fuel being another one for example. From what I've seen they mostly have a nut butter, usually almond butter, as a base and other ingredients and flavors are added. They seem like a healthier alternative to some of the things I notice outdoor people consuming. Overall, they have a high fat content giving them a high cals/oz ratio and they are conveniently packaged although in colder weather they should be warmed slightly first for easier squeezing. I typically simply warm in a pocket for 15 mins before consuming on colder hikes. I've seen them retailing in about the $2-3 range. Personally, I find this to be a bit high priced considering I can make my own nut butters easily as Nate described or I can buy Justin's or Artisana Nut Butter packets for about $1 and add other ingredients to them like chia/sesame/flax seed, hemp protein, dried fruits, good high content cacoa chocolate, coconut, milk powders, vanilla etc. Some health food stores offer a few basic nut butters in bulk ie;(almond butter, PB, cashew butter and even macadamia butter). I've tried a few of the Boggs and Pocket Fuel varieties which have all appealed to me since I've regularly eaten nut butters both on and off the trail for many yrs.

fredmugs
06-18-2014, 13:20
Thanks for the ideas. I really need to put some effort into making my own food and dehydrating.

Dogwood
06-18-2014, 20:43
Did you see this thread Fred? http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?104611-Moose-Goo-Taste-Test!