PDA

View Full Version : Any concerns/issues with hike from Franklin, NC to Fontana Dam

captike
06-18-2014, 12:49
Several of my friends and I are planning a hike in early October starting from Franklin, NC and ending at Fontana Dam. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any issues or problems, or anything of the like that are pertinent for our hike. Things like permits needed, closures, interesting things to see or do, etc are things I'd like to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cookerhiker
06-18-2014, 12:56
Just make sure you're aerobically fit because there's a lot of up and down. The hike up Cheoah Bald from the NOC is a real slog. You and your friends will enjoy the hike more if you're in shape. Have a good hike!

hikernutcasey
06-18-2014, 13:35
Just make sure you're aerobically fit because there's a lot of up and down. The hike up Cheoah Bald from the NOC is a real slog. You and your friends will enjoy the hike more if you're in shape. Have a good hike!
I agree 100%. The climb out of the NOC is long and hard. I made the mistake of doing this section while not being in the best of shape and I thought I would die. Also, you have Jacobs ladder to contend with which if I remember correctly is about a 600' climb in about 8 tenths straight up. Seriously though, just make sure you are prepared and I'm sure it will be no big deal.

Otherwise, not a lot to be prepared for in my opinion. You aren't entering the Smokies so no permits needed. Good time of year to do it too. Enjoy!

daddytwosticks
06-18-2014, 14:09
Make sure you climb up Wesser Bald tower for great views. When the weather is clear, it offers 360 degree views. :)

captike
06-18-2014, 17:10
Ooooo....ok. Thanks for the heads up. I saw that on my elevation profile, but somehow the climb never really translates very well from paper as it does on the trail. I'll let everyone know. It reminds me of the climb up Blood Mountain in GA. That was a real bear as well. Thanks for all of the help.

MuddyWaters
06-18-2014, 19:29
Its not that bad. Ive seen 70 yr old women climb Cheoah from NOC and camp on top.

The trail, is only as hard as YOU make it. Do 8 miles per day, and its easy. Shoot for 20, and it gets a bit harder.

captike
06-18-2014, 21:17
Its not that bad. Ive seen 70 yr old women climb Cheoah from NOC and camp on top.

The trail, is only as hard as YOU make it. Do 8 miles per day, and its easy. Shoot for 20, and it gets a bit harder.

We're definitely 8 miles per day people. :)

MkBibble
06-18-2014, 21:48
Don't miss the sunset from Cheoah Bald. If you start at the NOC, camping there makes for a short day, but it might be one of the best sunset that I've ever witnessed.

MkBibble
06-18-2014, 21:53
Actually, I'm wrong (often). NOC to Cheoah is right at 8 miles. Exactly what you're looking for. Don't forget to get water at the Sassafras Gap shelter!

Kerosene
06-18-2014, 22:45
My newbie, 20-year old daughter did a great job on the climb NOBO out of NOC. Of course, she was motivated to chase a cute guy she had met a few days before, who was very surprised when we caught them later that day. That climb in October should feel easier than on a hot, muggy day.

rafe
06-18-2014, 23:07
The hike up out of NOC is hard 'cuz everybody pigs out at NOC. Yes it did seem to go on and on. At least there were some nice views on the way up.

+1 on getting plenty of water at Sassafras Gap. I recall a parched, nasty climb out of "Sweetwater" Gap, a few miles north of there. Names can be deceiving.

hikernutcasey
06-19-2014, 09:40
The hike up out of NOC is hard 'cuz everybody pigs out at NOC. Yes it did seem to go on and on. At least there were some nice views on the way up.
Probably true. It also didn't help when I did it that it was June and about 85 degrees and 100% humidity. Ugh.

I think what got me on this one was it just never seemed to end.

Cookerhiker
06-19-2014, 09:54
Just want to point out that while the NOC-to-Cheoah is the longest uphill (and remember, there's an down followed by an up after Swim Bald), the entire Winding Stair Gap-to-Fontana stretch has many other ups and downs, some short but many steep. I felt it important to note this since the OP is from Florida, hence my recommendation to get aerobically fit from running, elliptical, etc. - whatever it takes.

captike
06-20-2014, 11:32
Don't miss the sunset from Cheoah Bald. If you start at the NOC, camping there makes for a short day, but it might be one of the best sunset that I've ever witnessed.

Oooooooo.....we'll definitely do that. We love the trail no matter what the section, but we're always on the lookout for some extra special feature. Thanks for the tip!

Just want to point out that while the NOC-to-Cheoah is the longest uphill (and remember, there's an down followed by an up after Swim Bald), the entire Winding Stair Gap-to-Fontana stretch has many other ups and downs, some short but many steep. I felt it important to note this since the OP is from Florida, hence my recommendation to get aerobically fit from running, elliptical, etc. - whatever it takes.

Indeed. We usually prepare a few months beforehand for that very reason. As I mentioned earlier, I remember the climb up Blood Mountain after the Walasi-yi Center particularly challenging. I compared the elevation rise for these two climbs and they are very similar. We'll definitely be doing stadium stairs! :)

brian039
06-20-2014, 12:56
Definitely make Cheoah Bald a camping destination if the weather is right. You have to haul a little bit of water but it is worth it.

captike
06-20-2014, 17:40
Definitely make Cheoah Bald a camping destination if the weather is right. You have to haul a little bit of water but it is worth it.
Oh WOW!!!! You sold me. We're staying there. :)

captike
06-22-2014, 13:15
Being that this would be our first bald along the trail, are there some trees here or none at all? Most of us, including myself, are hammock campers. Trees would be a necessity. :)

MuddyWaters
06-22-2014, 15:27
Very small bald spot. Trees nearby .

With the exception of Max Patch, Hump, Little Hump, most southern AT balds, really arent.

captike
06-24-2014, 22:55
Very small bald spot. Trees nearby .

With the exception of Max Patch, Hump, Little Hump, most southern AT balds, really arent.

Good deal. Thanks for the assist.