PDA

View Full Version : Hyatt Ridge Trailhead Parking

HooKooDooKu
06-18-2014, 14:28
Is there any decent parking at the Hyatt Ridge Trailhead long Straight Fork Road?

I'm planning on a multi-night loop that starts at the Hyatt Ridge Trailhead, but looking at the area with Google Earth, I can't spot any obvious parking area to ensure my car is out of the way for a few days.

TNhiker
06-18-2014, 15:05
yeah....

there's a pretty decent (like 8 or 9 cars or so) parking lot right at the trailhead...........

and then there's some other pull outs along road.....

or, if they are all full (which is very unlikely), you could park near the horse camp and walk to trailhead...

also, fwiw, there's two cemeteries along the road if you're into things like that.....

also, have you been on straight fork before? as in, ya know how to get there? some people get confused when they see the fish hatchery and give up trying to find the road....

HooKooDooKu
06-18-2014, 16:00
I've never had to drive "up" Straight Fork before. But years ago I drove Balsam Mountain road and driving "down" Straight Fork. I also remember making the mistake of turning right and going thru that big loop you see on the trail map rather than turning left when you get off of Straight Fork. But since you brought it up, I'll have to make sure to print me something off of Google Maps to make sure I know where the start of Big Cove Road. I guess worst case, I drive until I find that big loop and take the 1st left once I go all the way around it.

TNhiker
06-18-2014, 16:03
oh, you'll be find then...

most people dont realize that the entrance to straight fork is to the left of the fish hatchery....

most people see the hatchery and think straight fork is somewhere else.....

HooKooDooKu
06-18-2014, 16:06
Now I recall why I missed the turn coming off of Straight Fork Rd... the intersection with Big Cove Rd is a 'T', but rather than Straight Fork being the left of the 'T', it's one of the arms where you are supposed to turn left onto the leg of the 'T'. So it's really easy to miss the turn and go strait thru the 'T'.

HooKooDooKu
06-25-2014, 13:36
Over all, we had a pretty good trip.

We made a loop out of Hyatt Ridge Tr, Enloe Creek Tr, Hughes Ridge Tr, the AT, Balsam Mtn Tr, Beech Gap Tr, and Strait Fork Rd, spending the night at Peck's Corner and Laurel Gap shelters.

Weather was much better than the weatherman's prediction would have indicated. We only got about an hour of rain Saturday afternoon that never quite got hard enough to bother breaking out the rain gear. A few sprinkles Sunday morning before we left Peck's Corner was the last of any rain we encountered. I got wetter from a fall trying to rock-hop Enole Creek at the unbridged crossing past CS47.

Second day was a little rough. It was about 11.5 miles. Toward the end, my son's (11yo) ankles started hurting to the point of tears (known foot issues). But some aspirin, encouragement, and taking our time got us Laurel Gap just fine. Once there, we enjoyed the sight of the resident rabbit munching on grass around the fire pit less than 12' away from where we were sitting.

The last day was mostly a steep decent back down to Strait Fork. I didn't notice any cemeteries walking Strait Fork between Beech Gap and Hyatt Ridge. But then I forgot to be looking. By that point, we only had eyes for the car.

I understand why people get confused at the fish hatchery looking for Strait Fork Rd... it's a one lane road that's not really marked and looks more like a driveway for the hatchery.

There is indeed a grassy field a very short distance past the trail head for Hyatt Ridge. You could easily fit about 6 cars there, but the only other vehicles we saw the whole trip few a few fishermen parked along the creek Monday morning.

TNhiker
06-25-2014, 13:41
I didn't notice any cemeteries walking Strait Fork between Beech Gap and Hyatt Ridge

they are furthur down the road.........one is right at the entrance......sorta right near the hatchery..........and the other is just up the road a bit......

glad you guys had a good time......i got basically the same amount of rain on saturday afternoon.........

and yeah.....the road looks just like a driveway for the hatchery.............most people think thats what it is and give up trying to find the road...