PDA

View Full Version : Naked Hiking Starts Saturday

Mother Natures Son
06-18-2014, 19:07
Ok time for some truth. Naked Hiking Day starts Saturday so who will bear it all?

Starchild
06-18-2014, 19:30
I have Leave No Trace class then, don't know how to bear all and LNT, it just is not going to work that way.

I guess there is just some trace that we are meant to leave, hey are we part of nature :D

squeezebox
06-18-2014, 19:40
How many folks have done naked hiking day successfully , and how many got into trouble ??

Dogwood
06-18-2014, 20:37
Ok time for some truth. Naked Hiking Day starts Saturday so who will bear it all? I did one yr on the AT. But NEVER again. I got bitten by a damn mosquito on the tip of Mr Happy. It's hard getting people to believe that you're scratching your crotch because you were bitten by a mosquito on the tip of your....and then telling them how it happened. WEIRDO, is the look in their eyes as they slowly distance themselves from you.

lemon b
06-18-2014, 20:42
Oh brother gonna be on the trail in Ma this weekend with my hiking partner Smili and she is the type who would get right down with it if others were. I would never even think of such a thing.

Stink Bug
06-18-2014, 22:23
As it happens, my birthday coincides with the Summer Solstice and yes, last year on my thru hike, I wore my birthday suit :)

Kerosene
06-18-2014, 22:46
Hey folks, it is spelled "bare", not "bear".

ChinMusic
06-18-2014, 22:52
It has taken almost a year to have an image unburned from my memory.........

And Dogwood, I always thought you were a gal for some reason.

Sarcasm the elf
06-18-2014, 22:52
Hey folks, it is spelled "bare", not "bear".

That depends...

rocketsocks
06-18-2014, 22:54
In my late teens and early twenties, i'd have "when in Rome" my better since tells me No, and besides, I'm not that interesting to look at, and I certainly wouldn't want to come across someone who was interesting to look at and loose my cool. :o How in bear ass ing.

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2014, 23:42
My tail feathers will be visible down at the Delaware beaches... hiking and kayaking the back bays with lots of Deep Woods Off and Sea Salt.

I plan to be at the Harpoon Hanna's Happy Hour with Shelter Mice appetizers and fruity drink's with Granite Gear umbrellas....

See you there.

handlebar
06-19-2014, 02:10
On the advice of counsel, I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me.:) I will say that in spite of it being rather hot and humid that day north of Front Royal, I was quite comfortable.

moytoy
06-19-2014, 04:11
Never but I ran into a dude who was nude and wanted somebody to search him for tics. I declined and said something about hoping he had plenty of blood to lose.

Foresight
06-19-2014, 05:52
And Dogwood, I always thought you were a gal for some reason.

I always thought Squeezebox was a gal for some reason, but I always picture Dogwood in a fedora oddly enough.

squeezebox
06-19-2014, 09:32
male, button accordion player.
If I were female the sexual innuendo of squeeze box would prevent me from taking that name.

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 09:47
male, button accordion player.
If I were female the sexual innuendo of squeeze box would prevent me from taking that name.ah, always curious as the the origin of some of the usernames here, that's a goodn'

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 09:51
Never but I ran into a dude who was nude and wanted somebody to search him for tics. I declined and said something about hoping he had plenty of blood to lose.

Reminds me of the joke about the guy being bitten on the butt by a snake, his partner heads to town to get advice on what to do. The doctor tells him he has to draw out the poison by sucking. When he returns the fella says, "So what did the doctor say? His partner replies....
"The doctor said you gonna die" :D

sbhikes
06-19-2014, 14:40
I would do it for a little while if I was on the PCT. Last week I did a section hike and met a guy whose trailname was Coppertone. He hikes nude all the time however he had a loin cloth when I met him.

wnderer
06-19-2014, 19:59
What a coincidence! Saturday is 'Pointing and Laughing Day' too!

Ricky&Jack
06-19-2014, 20:04
Satuday Im going to the Smokies with the "Chattanooga Hiking Club".

Didn't realize the naked hike was same day.

Tuckahoe
06-19-2014, 20:06
Whew!! Starting a hike on the 22nd (thank you God :) )

Another Kevin
06-19-2014, 20:26
I'm planning a day trip for the solstice.

Clothed, thank you very much.

It likely would have the right combination of weather and privacy to do it naked, if I were so inclined.

But it has the privacy because it's a bushwhack. And the nettles and prickers are up. It's bad enough that I will likely get a nettle rash between my gaiters and my shorts. I do need not need one on that which the shorts cover.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2014, 21:07
what sorta fool/sheople walks naked cuz some other fools make up a day to do so? keep your dang shorts on

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 21:20
what sorta fool/sheople walks naked cuz some other fools make up a day to do so? keep your dang shorts on
I'm gonna say it was the "when in Romans"

Lone Wolf
06-19-2014, 21:22
I'm gonna say it was the "when in Romans"
folks like that ain't free thinkers

Sarcasm the elf
06-19-2014, 21:28

Mostly it's folks that like getting their arses kicked by angry parents.

ChinMusic
06-19-2014, 22:01
This was my journal entry from this day last year:

"Today is a day invented by young male hikers, in an attempt to get the young
females (many of which are looking like aerobic instructors at this point) to go
along. It has become a hiker tradition of sorts. Believe it or not today (first
day of summer) is Hike Naked Day. Yours truly would not be participating
although it might have been a good day to hike SOBO, if you know what I mean.
I didn't see many hikers today and that may have been a good thing. The only
participant I saw celebrating the day was a 60ish guy hiking in only a hat and
scarf. It's one thing to see this in a gym locker room. It's quite another to
see on the trail. I hope the image fades quickly from my mind."

coach lou
06-19-2014, 22:09
Wolf...close your eyes!

27512.....IM, celebrating the Solstice:eek:

Lone Wolf
06-19-2014, 22:14
that ain't nekid. just a chubby kid with a loin-type cloth

rocketsocks
06-20-2014, 02:38
Wolf...close your eyes!

27512.....IM, celebrating the Solstice:eek:What's that down under? :D

Foresight
06-20-2014, 02:42
What's that down under? :D

Eaaaaassssssy, big fella......

rocketsocks
06-20-2014, 02:50
Eaaaaassssssy, big fella......
Oops, meant, who's that down under? ;)

SCRUB HIKER
06-20-2014, 02:53
I celebrated on my way up Muir Pass last year for about 20 minutes total. Sunburn in all the wrong places was a very real concern at 12,000 snow-covered feet.

rocketsocks
06-20-2014, 03:10
I celebrated on my way up Muir Pass last year for about 20 minutes total. Sunburn in all the wrong places was a very real concern at 12,000 snow-covered feet.I think there's a Country song in there somewhere. :D

lemon b
06-20-2014, 09:03
Serious question ? Whats the difference between a loincloth and a kilt? Is the only reason for wearing these to prevent chafing and stay humble to a degree at the same time?

Ender
06-20-2014, 10:19
Serious question ? Whats the difference between a loincloth and a kilt? Is the only reason for wearing these to prevent chafing and stay humble to a degree at the same time?

Simply put (very, very simply): A kilt is a skirt for men. A loincloth just covers the front and back... it's a single piece of fabric that is held in place with a belt.

Ricky&Jack
06-20-2014, 10:36
tarzan wore a loin cloth....
adam/eve leaves are basically loin cloths as well.

Just Bill
06-20-2014, 10:48
Less simply put-
A kilt is a heavily pleated skirt, with a fairly complicated construction of lapping panels, or simply wrapped around the waist several times. It could easily use 2-6 yards of fabric. The advantage being it can expand at the knee to accommodate any stride length and/or be unrolled for other uses. While I cannot confirm the historical accuracy of this statement- a kilt would also wick less water when traipsing through damp highland grasses- so likely it was a better choice for the nomadic folks than pants.

A skirt is just that- a tube (lampshade really) that is one layer thick and typically uses a yard of fabric or so.

A loincloth is simply a strip of fabric (traditionally buckskin). Mine (yes I have a few) measures roughly 14x 50, a half yard of fabric, coupled with a belt or rope. The advantage being it serves as underwear as well as (very modest) coverage for the least amount of material. For the same support, one must add undies to either a kilt or skirt. It does not hamper motion in any way, nor does it conflict with horseback riding- a common use not as frequently practiced by the red man's red headed cousin.

My wife quite sagely and kindly vetoed use of a loincloth outside the house- so skirt's it is.

Don H
06-20-2014, 11:30
So hiking naked would be considered indecent exposure which is a violation of law in every state the AT passes through.

Has anyone ever been arrested or fined for this?
I understand that at one time they would try to catch those mooning the Cog on Mt. Washington and issue fines.

Francis Sawyer
06-20-2014, 12:54
Every time I hike nude there seems to be a spike in Sasquatch sightings. Isn't that odd?

Another Kevin
06-20-2014, 16:41
So hiking naked would be considered indecent exposure which is a violation of law in every state the AT passes through.

Has anyone ever been arrested or fined for this?
I understand that at one time they would try to catch those mooning the Cog on Mt. Washington and issue fines.

It is unclear in many states whether nudity per se is indecent. Vermont, for instance, prohibits only "open and gross lewdness and lascivious behaviour (http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullsection.cfm?Title=13&Chapter=059&Section=02601)", and simple nudity, for instance to swim or to change clothes, does not rise to that standard. Unless the intent is to shock, offend or arouse, a complaint is unlikely to be sustained there.

In the National Forest surrounding the Cog, Federal rules govern, and the NPS has a regulation forbidding nudity; that's how 'mooning the Cog' defendants were prosecuted. As I've said before, if I were ever to attempt to follow that tradition, I think that I'd applique a large crescent moon upon my baselayer, and drop my trousers while exposing only my contempt. :)

Another Kevin
06-20-2014, 16:42
A kilt is ...
... so called because it's what you'll get if you call it a skirt in front of a Highlander.

rocketsocks
06-20-2014, 18:24
folks like that ain't free thinkers
Agree...I forget the saying, somethin somethin, doot dee do, always paddle your own Canoe.

rocketsocks
06-20-2014, 18:38
I like the way the invisible man did it, that to me is acceptable, with some care takin as folks draw near, and remaining perpendicular to on lookers. :D

MJGreen
07-28-2014, 18:55
There are some places where's it's celebrated and encouraged, just not as much on the AT
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/20/hike-naked-day_n_3470810.html

shelb
07-28-2014, 22:21
Have fun and shake that boot-tae!!!!

Odd Man Out
07-28-2014, 22:39
You know there is a trend now to do naked "reality" TV shows. There's naked dating, naked survival, naked real estate. How could you fail with a TV show about naked short people, polygamist, Amish hikers who want to redecorate a shelter and buy a wedding dress!

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 00:02
You know there is a trend now to do naked "reality" TV shows. There's naked dating, naked survival, naked real estate. How could you fail with a TV show about naked short people, polygamist, Amish hikers who want to redecorate a shelter and buy a wedding dress!
crazy ain't it....I like the naked and afriad show, not an avid watcher, but that sure adds an element to the participants ability to weather storms and exposure, One fella got so sun burned, there setting was on a beach. In another episode the two were in an area flooded with rain and more rain on the way....21 days of pure uncomfortable, I would last that long under those conditions. Most of the time like day one or two they fashion lion clothes and a coconut bra or something.

Now, the real estate show...Bahhhhh Daft.....and Naked Dating, whatever happened to modesty and anticipation...clothes make the man/women....ridiculous with a capital "What the"

rocketsocks
07-29-2014, 00:03
crazy ain't it....I like the naked and afriad show, not an avid watcher, but that sure adds an element to the participants ability to weather storms and exposure, One fella got so sun burned, there setting was on a beach. In another episode the two were in an area flooded with rain and more rain on the way....21 days of pure uncomfortable, I wouldn't last that long under those conditions. Most of the time like day one or two they fashion lion clothes and a coconut bra or something.

Now, the real estate show...Bahhhhh Daft.....and Naked Dating, whatever happened to modesty and anticipation...clothes make the man/women....ridiculous with a capital "What the"
wouldn't................ugh!