PDA

View Full Version : Pack for the misses on the cheap

thecyclops
06-19-2014, 14:06
Dont know if this is thread worthy,but I have brought this pack from the depths of depravity,to a glorious daypack Im proud to have put work into.

LLBean 35liter pack,looked like it had came over on the mayflower,black oil spots,dirt,and a general gray haze.I wish I would have done a before and after on this bag,but oh well?...water was dark grey after the initial washing in the tub.
Pack $20
Pack being hand washed/dried/cleaned with toothbrush/dried/febreezed/dried-$1 or $2 in cleaning supplies?
2 pink camelbak bottles from goodwill.One with missing straw.One with faulty top-$1.50
Replacement straw and top from camelbak warranty-$0
Straw from camelbak too big,retrofit with a part from my sawyer mini-$0
Outdoor Products rain cover from walmart,to replace missing cover in pack-0.97
New with tags,packable womens rain-jacket from goodwill-0.50
Bottle holder bungees were broke,and bag/nets stretched out pretty bad.Cut the bungees and used them to make"cinches"for the holders-$0
New Outdoor Products waist belt buckle for the one that was cracked-0.97 (Only had 2in buckle,needed 1.5 but it worked)
New shock cord is not pictured,but ordered and on the way-$3.99
Pink bandanna goodwill-0.10
So this is what I was able to come up with for less than $30,hope the misses appreciates the hard work :)
Oh and what would be the best way to relube the zippers??? And what is the general consensus around here on LLBean packs???

thecyclops
06-19-2014, 14:11

rocketsocks
06-19-2014, 14:26
Way to "Dirt bag it" Cyclops, good for you. Not sure about the best way to lube a zip, but I've used grafite flakes that we had left over from my sons pine car derby days in scouts, though it's messy, a pencil works too, just gotta keep strokin a bit, back and forth, less messy than the flakes...probably a silicone spray would be good, available at "the big Orange Box"

thecyclops
06-19-2014, 14:51
Way to "Dirt bag it" Cyclops, good for you. Not sure about the best way to lube a zip, but I've used grafite flakes that we had left over from my sons pine car derby days in scouts, though it's messy, a pencil works too, just gotta keep strokin a bit, back and forth, less messy than the flakes...probably a silicone spray would be good, available at "the big Orange Box"
Hey thanks! Cant wait to let her take this thing out now.I know the LLBean bag has the lifetime warranty,but Im thinking Ill give it new life and if I wear it out again Ill go trade up.
Im gonna try some silicone,got some around here me thinks.