PDA

View Full Version : NEW! Community Pathway Project - Damascus, VA

Brady Adcock
06-19-2014, 14:48
DAMASCUS, VA LAUNCHES COMMUNITY PATHWAY TO ENGAGE TRAIL ENTHUSIASTS

Damascus, VA (June 19, 2014) –The Community Pathway Project is an opportunity for community members and Appalachian Trail (A.T.) enthusiasts to pay tribute to the A.T. and the Trail community of Damascus, VA. Funds raised will benefit organizations who dedicate time and resources to promote, protect, and improve the Trail, including: community and economic development projects in the Town of Damascus, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s A.T. Community™ program, and Mount Rogers Appalachian Trail Club (MRATC).

Engraved bricks will repave the sidewalk through downtown from S. Smith Street to Trestle Street (bridge to bridge). Custom A.T. mosaic arrays will draw visitors and Trail patrons downtown, promoting and revitalizing the downtown business district. Sidewalk production is projected for late November 2014. Phase one of the Community Pathway Project will only offer 2,180 engraved bricks. A minimum donation of $100 will provide donors with the opportunity to leave their mark of support. To place an order, visit www.appalachiantrail.org/communitypathway (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/communitypathway) and complete the fields. Orders will be accepted through the summer, or until the limit of 2,180 is reached. All proceeds from the brick donation program are tax deductible through the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. With projects ranging from economic development within Damascus, to maintenance and conservation projects in the surrounding 60 mile A.T. corridor, the Community Pathway Project’s impact will be profound. Everyone is invited to donate a brick, for yourself or someone else, to commemorate special occasions, or in honor and memory of your loved ones.

The project is managed by Brady Adcock, a U.S. Department of Interior Volunteer in Service to America (DOI/VISTA), working in the designated Appalachian Trail Community™ of Damascus, with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. “This exciting opportunity is designed to highlight the A.T. as a resource and asset in the community all the while providing direct support to the partners that protect and promote this famous and well used stretch of Trail,” stated Adcock.Damascus, also known as “Trail Town, USA,” hosts the one of the largest hiking festivals in the country. “Trail Days”, the name of this multi-day festival attracts approximately 4,000 hikers and about 20,000 other visitors to Damascus each year. Special events include hiker workshops, hiker services, food, and gear vendors and entertainment.

Chair-man
06-19-2014, 20:54
Sounds like a great idea. Welcome to Whiteblaze:)

Lone Wolf
06-19-2014, 21:10
you live in damascus?

Lone Wolf
06-19-2014, 21:12
you live in damascus?and what about the "Friendship Path" bricks already in place. hope there are no plans to disturb them

Trails Artware
06-21-2014, 10:37
so from bridge to bridge, on Laurel Ave, new bricks will draw people to down town? what about the section of the AT on Douglas, they get nothing! we are a small community, any project to promote the AT in Damascus, should include all of the trail in town, not just Laurel Ave.. Phase 1 of the project could upgrade the AT on Douglas showing us that you are happy & proud to be part of the community, please consider the impact of shortsightedness. being left out does not bring a community together. there is a big picture here I hope it is considered

Sly
06-21-2014, 16:02
Even the best ideas/intentions finds detractors. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-25-2014, 10:08
who will pay a minimum of $100 for a brick? there's a good portion of the sidewalk that needs major repair too before any bricks are installed. i don't see this "project" happening

RED-DOG
06-25-2014, 10:49
So does this mean if i donate a 100 bucks i get my name put on a brick, what if i donate 200 bucks do i get two bricks ?

Lone Wolf
06-25-2014, 11:05
So does this mean if i donate a 100 bucks i get my name put on a brick, what if i donate 200 bucks do i get two bricks ?

yes and yes i guess

Lone Wolf
06-30-2014, 18:13
http://www.wcyb.com/news/make-your-mark-on-the-at-in-damascus/26732730

July
06-30-2014, 18:27
If you donate a 1,000 bucks, you can get a larger 8x8 brick!

TOW
08-06-2014, 12:29
DAMASCUS, VA LAUNCHES COMMUNITY PATHWAY TO ENGAGE TRAIL ENTHUSIASTS

Damascus, VA (June 19, 2014) –The Community Pathway Project is an opportunity for community members and Appalachian Trail (A.T.) enthusiasts to pay tribute to the A.T. and the Trail community of Damascus, VA. Funds raised will benefit organizations who dedicate time and resources to promote, protect, and improve the Trail, including: community and economic development projects in the Town of Damascus, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s A.T. Community™ program, and Mount Rogers Appalachian Trail Club (MRATC).

Engraved bricks will repave the sidewalk through downtown from S. Smith Street to Trestle Street (bridge to bridge). Custom A.T. mosaic arrays will draw visitors and Trail patrons downtown, promoting and revitalizing the downtown business district. Sidewalk production is projected for late November 2014. Phase one of the Community Pathway Project will only offer 2,180 engraved bricks. A minimum donation of $100 will provide donors with the opportunity to leave their mark of support. To place an order, visit www.appalachiantrail.org/communitypathway (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/communitypathway) and complete the fields. Orders will be accepted through the summer, or until the limit of 2,180 is reached. All proceeds from the brick donation program are tax deductible through the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. With projects ranging from economic development within Damascus, to maintenance and conservation projects in the surrounding 60 mile A.T. corridor, the Community Pathway Project’s impact will be profound. Everyone is invited to donate a brick, for yourself or someone else, to commemorate special occasions, or in honor and memory of your loved ones.

The project is managed by Brady Adcock, a U.S. Department of Interior Volunteer in Service to America (DOI/VISTA), working in the designated Appalachian Trail Community™ of Damascus, with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. “This exciting opportunity is designed to highlight the A.T. as a resource and asset in the community all the while providing direct support to the partners that protect and promote this famous and well used stretch of Trail,” stated Adcock.Damascus, also known as “Trail Town, USA,” hosts the one of the largest hiking festivals in the country. “Trail Days”, the name of this multi-day festival attracts approximately 4,000 hikers and about 20,000 other visitors to Damascus each year. Special events include hiker workshops, hiker services, food, and gear vendors and entertainment.Brady I am glad that you along with the ATC are doing this! I cannot think of a better way for the town of Damascus to get a part of our sidewalks replaced. Plus the extra funds after the initial cost of the project that will go towards the revitalization of our downtown is an added benefit as well...

sympathetic joy
08-06-2014, 13:02
I am proud to say that 2 weeks ago I purchased a brick to commemorate a significant event for a family member. I got a nice follow up call from someone at the ATC thanking me and last week I received a thank you letter.