PDA

View Full Version : Bacon, Bacon, Bacon Jerky

4Bears
06-19-2014, 23:27
Found this today, I haven't tried it yet, but am about too. Anyone out there that can add any review??

Wise Old Owl
06-19-2014, 23:40
Not of the actual product you mention - I just buy a slab, slap on some Bull's Eye or Guy Fieri sauces toss it in the Nesco - let it run all night... The oils, fats and added water will mostly end up in the bottom catch tray. Dump and toss the trays in the dishwasher if you have one. Expect a 50% reduction in weight. Spam shrinks even more to 1/3 the weight. because of modern manufacture of injection sodium as a preservative - you have nothing to worry about... its mistake proof. It disappears so fast - it doesn't need to be preserved.

so that's 4$-$6 a pound vs $34 Slim Jim.

4Bears
06-20-2014, 09:47
Hey thanks for the tip WOO, I agree that it wouldn't last long.

Northern Lights
06-21-2014, 00:36
It's yucky! You know it's bad when they send it to the Arctic Circle, they think we'll eat anything here. But it's yucky. That's my official review

MuddyWaters
06-21-2014, 19:12
I eat Oberto bacon jerky all the time, as well as pre-cooked bacon. Its...basically just bacon. Full of fat, which is what you want. 125-130 cal/oz. My major trail meat source.

I have no experience with slim jim version. Honestly, I think everything slim jim makes is crap.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2014, 20:03
Even my dog turns down Slim Jim. ( cus he knows I have the good stuff)

rocketsocks
06-21-2014, 20:11
Even my dog turns down Slim Jim. ( cus he knows I have the good stuff)you sittin bar side?

Wise Old Owl
06-22-2014, 00:00
I have to make two pounds of Kikkoman Teriyaki by tuesday, I use a premium beef marbled shoulder that doesn't have sinew.

Del Q
06-22-2014, 12:23
My son and I like Bacon jerky, Fathers HAM JERKY is off the charts delicious..............ton of flavor, thick, chewy, lightweight

Not cheap but have started packing it on my hikes, LOVE IT

rocketsocks
06-22-2014, 12:49
Herd this morning Beef Prices expected to climb. Steers are unhappy

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 22:57
Oberto bacon jerky is pretty damn good.

bettybadass
06-24-2014, 04:02
I have tried that bacon jerky. It is a bit n the chewy side, but OH MY GAWD is it good! It is like meat candy it is so good. ;-)

Rain Man
06-24-2014, 08:02
I eat Oberto bacon jerky ....

Oberto bacon jerky is pretty damn good.

DITTO! I've tried lots of commercial jerkies, THIS is the one I like.

Rain:sunMan

jeffmeh
06-24-2014, 08:09
Not of the actual product you mention - I just buy a slab, slap on some Bull's Eye or Guy Fieri sauces toss it in the Nesco - let it run all night... The oils, fats and added water will mostly end up in the bottom catch tray. Dump and toss the trays in the dishwasher if you have one. Expect a 50% reduction in weight. Spam shrinks even more to 1/3 the weight. because of modern manufacture of injection sodium as a preservative - you have nothing to worry about... its mistake proof. It disappears so fast - it doesn't need to be preserved.

so that's 4$-$6 a pound vs $34 Slim Jim.

WOO, do you dry the slab whole or sliced?

redzombie
06-29-2014, 17:00
this looks good

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2014, 17:28
WOO, do you dry the slab whole or sliced?

I do both, I have at home meat slicers and electric knifes and Cutco USA made knifes. Current production this week topped over three pounds of top round marbled shoulder of London Broil, the wife is mad as I have taken over the kitchen and the son is helping slicing it up. We are blowing out all of the low sodium Kikkoman and subsequent small batches will be made with the new Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki (Less Sodium at 18%)

A slab of bacon is pre-sliced - the meats for Jerky is in whole muscles ( No sinew)

Dutch1976
06-30-2014, 03:33
this looks good

Hmmm..I might have to play around with this idea.

Oma-n-Opa
08-25-2014, 15:41
I also occasionally make something we call Pig Candy. It's basically bacon soaked in brown-sugar water, then covered lightly with maple syrup, and more brown sugar, before being put in the oven, to cook to crisp. I wonder if I could dehydrate that?

It would probably take a bit longer to dehydrate, because of the soaking in brown-sugar water bit.

Starchild
08-25-2014, 16:15
I found it no different then precooked bacon though w/ some BBQ sauce flavor added. Good, and the candy of meats, but no difference.

Also a shout out thanks to WOO for the SPAM dehydrating stat, WOW you can get it 1/3 lighter.

atraildreamer
08-25-2014, 17:10
Herd this morning Beef Prices expected to climb. Steers are unhappy

Slightly off topic, but here I go:

A lot of the grain that was being grown for use as animal feed is being converted to ethanol and added to gasoline. The resulting shortage of livestock feed drives up the prices of the available feed and makes it more expensive for the livestock farmer to feed his herd and results in higher meat prices. The government wants to increase the ethanol content of gasoline to 15%. Guess what this is going to do to meat prices. :-?

BTW- The 10% ethanol gasoline reduces your mileage by about 10%. The 15% blend will reduce mileage by about 15%. That is one of the reasons why your vehicle may not get the advertised mpg as the ratings are determined by using 100% gasoline. Unless I missed something, I didn't see the price of gas go down by 10%. :mad:

To make matters worse, if your vehicle was manufactured before the year 2000, the corrosive nature of the 15% ethanol blend can damage your engine. Newer cars have been manufactured to accept the 15% blend.

Gone are the days of 99 cents/pound ground beef!:(

Sheriff Cougar
08-27-2014, 23:43
Try sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on your bacon. Delicious!

JumpMaster Blaster
08-28-2014, 00:17
Dreamer- thanks for the tidbit. I only recently started paying attention to the ethanol content of fuel. My truck is a 2007, so it will accept 15%, but I try to only top off with 10%.

Also, I remember $0.99/lb ground beef!

Dogtra
08-31-2014, 17:43
I haven't tried Bacon jerky yet but I intend to eventually. Was researching a few companies that sell bacon, turkey, ham, venison, buffalo, ostrich, beef, alligator, elk, boar, and various fish jerkies. Some would be way too expensive... but it would be nice to try and possibly break up the monotony of beef jerky alone while hiking.

atraildreamer
09-29-2014, 13:30
Dreamer- thanks for the tidbit. I only recently started paying attention to the ethanol content of fuel. My truck is a 2007, so it will accept 15%, but I try to only top off with 10%.

Also, I remember $0.99/lb ground beef!

Apparently, the gas stations are going to have to have 2 grades of ethanol/gasoline mix available...10% and 15%. They will have to offer regular, mid-grade and high-test in 10% & 15%. Older cars will have to use the 10% grades and the newer cars, (manufactured after 2000{?}), will use the 15%. Guess what the reaction of the gas stations is going to be when they are required to upgrade their equipment to be able to offer the new blend. Guess who is going to be paying for it.

Del Q
09-29-2014, 21:01
Check out HAM JERKY

Bacon jerky is good - this to me is better

Awesome, have mine packed for section hike beginning this weekend.

TASTY!!!