PDA

View Full Version : Shelters along the Tuscarora Trail (photos)and info

twilight
06-20-2014, 22:00
Just wanted to share some photos of the shelters I stayed at along the TT on a recent section from PA641 to PA456.

First shelter was Burd Run shelter. I found two water sources near here. One was a couple 100 yards north of shelter and was a spring(pretty easy to get to). The other was south further along of shelter. This was late May of 2014. I arrived at shelter just before it began to rain again and was very happy to have a place to dry out.2752227523

The second shelter was Big Mountain shelter. Which was in a very nice setting with a spring fed pond about 50 yards in front of shelter. This shelter had built in seats of stone at fire pit that were rather comfortable. This shelter has visiting caretakers, too. The Millers if I remember correctly. This shelter was I believe the oldest of the three I stayed at.2752427525

Last was the Reese Hollow shelter. Was a little leary of this one because of it being 1 mile down a mountain from trail. But folks there was no water up on the ridge in this section. Water source at shelter is a piped spring with very cold water!!! This shelter was also laid into a beautiful location. With dug in fire pit with benches(sort of),and a bear pole. There is also a caretaker for this shelter, too. Who has done some major trail mantenance along the side trail to shelter and along the TT.2752627527

All shelters had privies, too.

I found the trail passable at this time of year. The blazing was poor in some places especially way south of Reese Hollow shelter(have to add that there is very, very limited access to trail in this area making it difficult for maintainers to get in with equipment). There was also a poor section of blazing north of Burd Run shelter. But if you take your time and have good trail sense it really wasn't that bad. Just don't get caught up there in the dark.

The PATC I think has done a great job in bringing this trail back to life. Especially with the construction of the new shelters. They were the nicest shelters I ever stayed at. And the trailwork was evident in this section, too.

I had done some hunting around on the interwebs about the new shelters on the TT and really didn't find too much, so I wanted to through in my 2 cents worth.

Twilight

no-name
06-21-2014, 09:37
It looks sweet.

Blue Mountain Edward
06-23-2014, 19:20
I hiked the northern half of the Tuscarora Trail in late spring 2012. The section south of Spring Run was overgrown with briars. My legs got scratched up badly wearing shorts in 90 degree heat.Poison ivy rash all over my feet. I did not camp at Reese Hollow shelter, there was a few more hours of sunlight so I did some more miles and camped right on the trail. A angry animal was growling outside my tent that night. I think it was a coyote. Most of the shelters were clean and new. Some sections definately need more blue blazes. At the time the grocery store in Spring Run was closed. So I had 111 miles between grocery stores. (was southbound on the AT). The 2 restaraunts fed me good. The Path Valley resteraunt gave me a free sub for the trail after I downed 2 large breakfasts. The biker bar gave me some bread. And the concession stand was open at the state park.