PDA

View Full Version : Am I stupid to try a BearVault again?

gregpphoto
06-20-2014, 22:15
Back in the day, when Yellow Yellow roamed the Adirondacks, I was one of the first few unfortunates to have her break into my rented BearVault. I know theyve since changed the lid, and sadly, Yellow Yellow has left this world, but still, am I stupid for wanting to give it one more try? I saw the credit card trick to open it, jesus, so easy!

Franco
06-20-2014, 22:28
I saw the credit card trick to open it, jesus, so easy!
Just today I read on another forum that the best way to stop a charging bear is to take his Cr card away.
Now I understand what it was all about.

leaftye
06-20-2014, 22:34
Use it with an odor resistant bag (http://litetrail.com/products/litetrail-nylobarrier-odor-proof-bag) to make it harder to locate by smell. The most effective defense is the one that doesn't get challenged.

Franco
06-20-2014, 22:50
When Backpackinglight tested a popular brand of odour proof bags the result was that dogs found the bags just as easily as the food in standard zip lock bags .
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/odor_proof_bags_study.html

If you cannot read the article (could be a members only ) here is part of the conclusion :
Four out of 32 searches resulted in a DNF (Did Not Find). All DNFs occurred within the first half hour of the study. There were three DNFs in the odor-proof group (bags 1,2,3) and one in the control group (bag 8). When analyzed statistically, these results were not significantly different between groups. Average search times were 86 seconds in the odor-proof group and 84 seconds in the control group. Again, results were not significantly different between groups.
(the bags were hidden inside cabinets in a University locker room. Think student smells...)

MuddyWaters
06-20-2014, 22:52
I have heard tales of it seizing up in cold weather due to dissimilar plastics in the lid and body contracting at different rates. But, thats only hearsay. I suppose a tad of petroleum jelly or something on the threads might help.

To my knowledge, no one has starved to death because they couldnt get their cannister open.

gregpphoto
06-20-2014, 22:55
I have heard tales of it seizing up in cold weather due to dissimilar plastics in the lid and body contracting at different rates. But, thats only hearsay. I suppose a tad of petroleum jelly or something on the threads might help.

To my knowledge, no one has starved to death because they couldnt get their cannister open.

The BearVault diet.

Dogwood
06-21-2014, 00:41
I have a BV450. I use it when required. Yes, the design was changed to make it harder for a bear(black bear), and IMHO humans, to open. To my knowledge no other black bears have been as successful as YY was in opening the older now discontinued design(research this as I may be ignorant of information) but some in the Daks(Rangers, biologists, wildlife "experts", etc) say she may have taught her cubs or other bears to open the older version BUT as far as I know there have been NO documented cases of other black bears being able to open the older version. However, the Adirondack Park Rangers have been playing it cautiously and still don't approve the BearVault, even the newer version, for REQUIRED USE in Adirondack Park. Last yr I specifically asked several Adirondack PK Rangers why they haven't approved for use in Adirondack Pk the newer version and I was told the design still allows bears to possibly get their claws under the lid and possibly pry the lid off. I've never seen or heard of a black bear doing this though. Again, you can further research this as I'm no authority on what every single black bear in every area has ever done. So, as far as I know the only place that doesn't approve of the current two tab version of the BearVault is Adirondack Park. Double check this info as well. I've used my current BV450(new version, double tabs) Bear Vault in temps as low as 10* F and never had an issue with it sticking.

rocketsocks
06-21-2014, 01:17
Back in the day, when Yellow Yellow roamed the Adirondacks, I was one of the first few unfortunates to have her break into my rented BearVault. I know theyve since changed the lid, and sadly, Yellow Yellow has left this world, but still, am I stupid for wanting to give it one more try? I saw the credit card trick to open it, jesus, so easy!
Wanting to know about Yellow Yellow, as I've never heard the story nor what it was. I googled it, thanks, cool story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Tipi Walter
06-21-2014, 08:31
I left a food cache once for a 23 day backpacking trip and used 2 BearVault 500's. A bear found them and rolled them out of their cache and a hundred feet down a hill in the tall weeds, but he did not get them open. Had he been smart, he would've "baited" the weeds with my 2 bear vaults and waited for me to arrive and then ate like a king. He did gnaw on them a little and out of frustration returned to the cache and pulled out my emergency back-up Prolite pad and got revenge---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-TmKPR4J/0/L/BEAR%20DAMAGE%20006-L.jpg

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-dVmCNJS/0/L/BEAR%20DAMAGE%20009-L.jpg

moytoy
06-21-2014, 08:44
I always wondered what my prolite looks like on the inside.

Snowleopard
06-21-2014, 10:58
Last I heard, Yellow-Yellow had taught her cubs how to open them. This would only be a concern in the Adirondacks. Sadly, YY was shot a while ago, I think by a hunter.

Dogwood
06-21-2014, 11:42
Oops, someone had their Boogie Board chewed up by a shark or smashed on a reef. I'll never use my Thermarest to cache food in again.

rocketsocks
06-21-2014, 11:50
Tipi Walter, I like the way you think, that's funny.

"Had he been smart, he would've "baited" the weeds with my 2 bear vaults and waited for me to arrive and then ate like a king"

The bear canister reminds me of my Sisters old Bobby Sherman album, she played the devil out it, and now I'm scared for life because of it.

Tipi Walter
06-21-2014, 12:40
Oops, someone had their Boogie Board chewed up by a shark or smashed on a reef. I'll never use my Thermarest to cache food in again.

With a little Mcnett's and some ripstop tape I fixed it. Not.

Dogwood
06-21-2014, 14:22
Of course, you always have those repair items with you on hikes buried deep in that cavernous body bag pack. :D

DLP
06-21-2014, 14:34
You guys are too funny. :)

The new model Bear Vault is now allowed in Yosemite. Old models were not allowed. Don't know if that gives you some peace of mind.

I'm actually shocked that bears can't figure out the garbage dumpster clips. They pretty much look like heavy duty carabiners.

MuddyWaters
06-21-2014, 14:54
Funny how you always hear about yellow-yellow and the bear vault, I suppose because that got it banned and prompted a design change.

But, you hear less about some bears in Yosemite that have a knack for rolling cannisters off cliffs so they shatter on the rocks below, or about one male bear that can open bear lockers.

Dont underestimate bears. The cannisters only have to resist bear-play for an hour or so to be approved. Given enough time, I think a large determined bear could break into many, if they didnt get bored and leave.

yerbyray
06-24-2014, 01:18
Funny how you always hear about yellow-yellow and the bear vault, I suppose because that got it banned and prompted a design change.

But, you hear less about some bears in Yosemite that have a knack for rolling cannisters off cliffs so they shatter on the rocks below, or about one male bear that can open bear lockers.

Dont underestimate bears. The cannisters only have to resist bear-play for an hour or so to be approved. Given enough time, I think a large determined bear could break into many, if they didnt get bored and leave.

I haven't really encountered a bear, don't own a bear canister but to tie up food when advisable; I have a question.

What does one do when a bear attacks a canister? Surely the bear will make enough noise to let you know that he is messing around. Do you yell at it? Do you challenge the bear? Or, do you just sit there passively and reflect on a bear screwing with an over-grown medicine bottle?

gregpphoto
06-24-2014, 11:20
I haven't really encountered a bear, don't own a bear canister but to tie up food when advisable; I have a question.

What does one do when a bear attacks a canister? Surely the bear will make enough noise to let you know that he is messing around. Do you yell at it? Do you challenge the bear? Or, do you just sit there passively and reflect on a bear screwing with an over-grown medicine bottle?

Make noise, bang pots, throw rocks. Let the bear know it will be challenged, or else it'll keep coming back. It'll probably come back anyway though haha.

DLP
06-24-2014, 11:54
Yosemite website refers to canisters as "Bear Resistant".

I love this YouTube of a bear with a Bear Vault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7oayAaf4k

Tipi Walter
06-24-2014, 13:41
Yosemite website refers to canisters as "Bear Resistant".

I love this YouTube of a bear with a Bear Vault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7oayAaf4k

Great vid. I like 00.53 where he rests and then "reluctantly" has a second go at it.