PDA

View Full Version : carrying trekking poles on pack what is best way?

DavidNH
09-30-2005, 20:58
Hello,

I am one of those that believes trekking poles are a hikers best friend. They do so much good! But there are times when they are not neeed (ie it is too steep...or it is a long flat stretch or even a road walk). So If I want to strap them to my pack so I don't have to hold them...what is best way? How have you done it?

The back I am using and plan to use on my thru hike next spring is a Gregory Forester.

My poles collapse down to a few feet in length at best.

All thoughts appreciated,

DavidNH

Whistler
09-30-2005, 21:20
I like to slip the pair under my arm, under my shoulder strap, next to my ribs, handles up, and tips poking down and back. They rest well on top of the hipbelt and under the strap, and generally stay out of the way. I rarely collapse them, too much work...
-Mark

Alligator
09-30-2005, 21:20
From a picture of your pack I would collapse them down and stick them handle down in the water bottle holders behind your side compression straps. They may stick up above your head, maybe not.

Whistler
09-30-2005, 21:34
Or maybe make two velcro loops to attach to the daisy chain strip on the center of the front of the pack, and put the poles through those.
-Mark

MDSHiker
09-30-2005, 21:43
I agree with Alligator...collapse them and insert into compression straps and water bottle pockets. Tighten up the compression straps to hold them tight. I carry mine like that on all my packs. I have a Forrester too and have carried poles that way.

Frosty
09-30-2005, 21:49
I rarely collapse them, too much work...
-MarkMe, too. I collapse them when hitching or being shuttled, but that's it.

On steep sections, I let the poles hang loose from my wrists by the loops. They stay out of the way for me to grab trees, rocks and roots to pull myself up.

On flat stretches, I still use the poles, getting into a nice rhythm as in cross country skiing.

On road walks, the tick tick tick ammoys me, so I simply hold the poles horizontal to the ground, gripping them about the middle. They actually assist a good arm-swinging action and they are ready

Alligator
09-30-2005, 21:50
It's a good way to carry tent poles too, especially if you don't have two water bottles. I'm pretty sure this is why the water bottles don't cant forward anymore. Whistler's idea sounds good too if the poles don't collapse small enough.

I rarely collapse mine either though.

Nightwalker
10-01-2005, 00:15
Me, too. I collapse them when hitching or being shuttled, but that's it.

On steep sections, I let the poles hang loose from my wrists by the loops. They stay out of the way for me to grab trees, rocks and roots to pull myself up.

On flat stretches, I still use the poles, getting into a nice rhythm as in cross country skiing.

On road walks, the tick tick tick ammoys me, so I simply hold the poles horizontal to the ground, gripping them about the middle. They actually assist a good arm-swinging action and they are ready
I use mine all the time. I put the rubber tips on for roadwalking. It's a really nice rhythm thang.

I just ordered a set of Leki Ultralite Ti COR-TECs (http://leki.com/html/trek_ultralite_2141.asp). Sweet poles; nice balance. Only 16.6 oz. per pair and no aggravating shock absorbers. I got SO tired of those with my current set. They seemed to really rob a lot of energy, plus they--of course--added weight. 99 bucks is a great price too.

Then there's the fact that Lone Wolf don't like 'em, so that's gotta be a plus. :D

I'm just gonna run down the trail like Napolean Dynamite.

Footslogger
10-01-2005, 13:20
I don't often attach my poles to my pack on the trail but occasionally when I'm road walking or in town I will. My pack (Granite Gear Vapor Trail) has 2 ice axe loops at the base of the pack. I collapse my poles and stick the tips into those loops. I then twirl them once to tighten the loops around the pole tips and fasten the upper end of the poles under a compression strap near the top/side of my pack.

'Slogger

Frosty
10-01-2005, 16:22
I then twirl them once to tighten the loops around the pole tips and fasten the upper end of the poles under a compression strap near the top/side of my pack.

'SloggerSon of a B!TCH!!!!!

I am such a moron. I never throught of twirling the buggers. It always annoyed me that I had no good way to secure poles without a lot of effort.

Wow, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Assuming I will still remember this in the morning......

Patrick
10-04-2005, 19:31
My ULA P-1 has a mesh pocket across the back. The pocket has an elastic drawcord with a cord lock. I put a second cord lock on top of the first. When I need to stow my poles, I put them in the loop that's formed by the drawcord between the two cordlocks, then tighten the outer one. The other end of the poles tuck under the single ice-axe loop. Holds them very snug and takes two seconds.