PDA

View Full Version : New 2015 Classmate---Danger

dangerdave
06-21-2014, 20:01
I have been doing a great deal of reading over the past week, and I just wanted to thank all of the members of this site and it's admin for the information and articles. As a new AT backpacker, at first I found the amount of info daunting, especially regarding gear and food. But after reading until my eyes have crossed, I have uncovered a lot that I can use. I know very well that the time, effort, and---sometimes---mistakes of others will help me create and AT experience that will be both memorable and fulfilling.

I appreciate you all very much!

Countdown: 284 days

rocketsocks
06-21-2014, 20:15
:welcome to White blaze Danger, while a little slow right now, it is a very active an resourceful collection of people willing to help.

dangerdave
06-21-2014, 20:47
Yea, I figured that. With all the 2014's on the trail and all the 2015's waiting patiently, I figure things won't gear up until this Fall.

I'll go make some more wine.

Speakeasy TN
06-22-2014, 19:36
Welcome Danger! See ya out there!

shakey_snake
06-30-2014, 18:41
Hey Danger! If you head down the valley a bit, Shawnee State forest is a great place to find your trail legs. Make sure to get out this fall! Maybe I'll bump into you sometime!

Dahoyt
07-05-2014, 13:12
Yeah seems slower during the summer when everyone is out and about. Winter time is usually when it's booming here.

SawnieRobertson
07-05-2014, 14:04
My goodness! What a kind and considerate post. Well, Danger.

dangerdave
08-02-2014, 20:19
What was I thinking?

Well, again, I want to thank everyone here for all this great info, opinions, testing, compiling, and posting of questions, answers, articles, and reviews. I'd have already made numerous mistakes and no doubt wasted some large amount of money long before now.

May Thor, the God of Thunder, bless you all. ;)

But some things you just have to learn on your own. I have not been hiking regularly for many years (see age of backpack above), and never with any kind of significant weight. So...not too long ago, I preformed a test. I took my old heavy pack (10 years old), carefully inserted three gallon jugs of water (~25 pounds), my summer sleeping bag, and a bunch of old clothes. Total weight = 34 pounds. I set my treadmill to it's steepest incline (10%), ran the speed up to 2.5 mph and walked for an hour.

OMG! <Can I get an AMEN?> What was I thinking? I had planned to let the trail get me back in shape, but now I'm all about avoiding that painful first week. Oh, I know I'll still be working through some pain. What's that saying, "Pain is inevitable, misery is optional."? I'm opting out of misery. I'll be doing a lot of warm-up for this AT thu-hike next year. I want to enjoy the beginning as much as the rest.

Mindset reset. I'm checking Craig's List for a used stair climber! :cool:

Big Dawg
08-02-2014, 21:22
Welcome to WB!! Lots of info to dig thru for sure! Glad it's helped you come up to speed.

dangerdave
08-08-2014, 16:36
236 days...and counting...

Four months to retirement, and I am so excited! Like a kid before Christmas. I can hardly wait. Small pieces of gear are appearing in the mail almost on a daily basis. Very cool! Everyone likes new gear. Yesterday, I got a small can of gas fuel for my tiny stove (en route), and my hydration Platypus bag (2L). Along with my summer sleeping bag (for later in the hike) and a couple of other small items, that's about it so far. If I was retired already, I'd have lots of money to spend on gear, but things are a bit tight right now for $1000 worth of gear. So, I'm buying stuff as I can, working some extra overtime for toys. I need to get my pack together for some hiking before it gets cold this winter, so I can try out my gear before I do some colder weather trips. How me and my gear actually function in the cold will determine my start date, I think.

Just putting out a shout to all the other Class of 2015 NOBO's and SOBO's. We'll be on the AT before we know it!

dangerdave
08-10-2014, 11:37
Yesterday, I got my kitchen for the AT in the mail. Being new to lightweight camping, I'm just amazed at the simple sophistication of this equipment. My wife used the term "giddy". I think she might have something, there. :)

Etekcity Portable Outdoor Backpacking Stainless Steel Canister Camp Stove w/ Carry Case, Piezo Ignition: 4.8oz (packs neatly inside TOAKS cup)
TOAKS Titanium 450ml Cup: 2.7oz (holds stove and homemade foil windscreen nicely)
TOAKS Titanium 750ml Pot w/ lid: 3.9oz (holds fuel canister inside perfectly)
TOAKS Titanium Spork: 0.6oz (light and utilitarian)
Primus 100gm fuel canister: 6.1oz (hoping to not have to resort to a larger canister, which would be +6oz)
TOTAL WEIGHT: 18.1oz (just slightly over my target kitchen weight of 14-16oz)

While I am certainly not trying to revert to gram-weenie-ism, I am pleased with this setup. I told my wife I will be cooking her some dinner one night this week, using my new camp kitchen. For anyone interested, I will report back here with post-dining results. Now, what to fix...

Deacon
08-10-2014, 13:36
What was I thinking
Mindset reset. I'm checking Craig's List for a used stair climber! :cool:

Or, if you are near a stadium, put on your pack and just walk up and down the steps for a couple hours each day. Di that for a couple weeks before your hike and that will get you in shape.

dangerdave
08-20-2014, 16:16
Getting more gear in the mail. My trekking poles and scale (so I can be a gram weenie) came this week.

Today, at the fire station, I had a visit from Richard (soilman on WB, trail name Ohibro) who thru hiked the AT as part of the Class of 2010. Intelligent and informative, Richard was a wealth of info even about minor details. And what a memory, spouting off names and places visited from his hike five years ago! I had a hard time keeping up. But I did make a lot of mental notes.

Thank you, Richard. We'll talk again, I'm sure.

Jeff
08-20-2014, 16:52
Ohibro stayed with us in Vermont....good guy.

dangerdave
08-23-2014, 12:51
I'll make a note in my guidebook, Jeff, and be sure to stop and stay with you on my thru next year.

Looking forward to it!

dangerdave
09-01-2014, 18:15
Ok, after some consideration, I've got my water filter "system" together. Dirty water goes in the bag, and clean water comes out of the tube. The Sawyer Mini is held in with quick disconnects for easy back-flushing. I can also hang the bag, disconnect the extra length of hose attached between the mouth piece and the Mini, and drain clean water directly from the hose---for cooking, etc. I'll also be carrying a 32oz Nalgene for extra water (when needed), measuring, and mixing sports drink. Trying to keep it simple.

Leaks would be my only concern. I'll have to see how those couplings hold up under use. O-rings don't last forever!

dangerdave
09-01-2014, 18:19
Note to self: Find something to use as a barrier between the Mini and the Platypus Bag while in the pack.

dangerdave
09-19-2014, 11:25
I want to do a shout-out to the awesome people at REI in Easton Town Center Columbus, Ohio. They fixed me up with the last of the gear I needed for my thru---and took a large pile of my money---and were very friendly, informative, and knowledgeable.

Thanks to them, I am good to go! :)

Another Kevin
09-19-2014, 13:08
I want to do a shout-out to the awesome people at REI in Easton Town Center Columbus, Ohio. They fixed me up with the last of the gear I needed for my thru---and took a large pile of my money---and were very friendly, informative, and knowledgeable.

Thanks to them, I am good to go! :)

At least as far as Neels Gap. Then, if you're like most hikers, Mountain Crossings will be happy to relieve you for more of you money and ship home a lot of your gear.. :)

(Which can't be helped. As a beginner, you need to be outfitter, but don't yet know your hiking style. When you've learnt your hiking style, you always discover that some of your stuff doesn't fit it. And then with experience your style evolves further. Welcome to an addiction. :) )

rocketsocks
09-19-2014, 14:38
Ok, after some consideration, I've got my water filter "system" together. Dirty water goes in the bag, and clean water comes out of the tube. The Sawyer Mini is held in with quick disconnects for easy back-flushing. I can also hang the bag, disconnect the extra length of hose attached between the mouth piece and the Mini, and drain clean water directly from the hose---for cooking, etc. I'll also be carrying a 32oz Nalgene for extra water (when needed), measuring, and mixing sports drink. Trying to keep it simple.

Leaks would be my only concern. I'll have to see how those couplings hold up under use. O-rings don't last forever!the only problem I see is that inlet barb, can ya get it on there any further? try heating with hair dryer, or better still warm water.

dangerdave
09-19-2014, 14:41
You are quite right, Kevin. I'm hoping to avoid many of the beginner mistakes with the help of wonderful people such as yourself, right here on White Blaze. I'm sure when I find my "style", gear modifications will be necessary and welcomed.

I can't thank all of you enough.

dangerdave
09-19-2014, 14:45
You are right, rocketsocks. I'll see if I can get it on a bit further. Thanks for pointing that out.

My LightHeart Solong 6 came in today. I'll be doing a noob's review of modern tent technology, soon.