PDA

View Full Version : Took My 13yo Nephew on His First Hiking Trip This Weekend

carouselambra
06-21-2014, 20:48
We went to the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area. He did great and had a good time. I made sure he had a light pack and we went at this pace. He can now handle a JetBoil, hang a bear bag, lick a bowl, and has gained some trail wisdom. There were a lot of foals with the ponies. Rhododendron were past bloom and the blueberries are still very green and early in the fruit stage. Water was flowing well at the Thomas Knob shelter (liter fill in about 20 seconds) and there is a nice gutter on it for a nice flow. We saw an adult bear just above the gate area where you leave the state park and start heading uphill.

carouselambra
06-21-2014, 20:50
I meant "backpacking" not "hiking"

Teacher & Snacktime
06-21-2014, 20:59
Wow, a complete adventure....I do believe I'm jealous! I love the Grayson Highlands; it's been my favorite spot so far.

lemon b
06-21-2014, 21:47
Sounds like you too had some good clean fun. Hope the future brings much more.

rocketsocks
06-21-2014, 21:53
Very nice! Perhaps another life long hiker is born.

nastynate
06-22-2014, 06:00
Sounds like a great trip!

hikernutcasey
06-23-2014, 10:07
Wow, I've been on numerous hikes in that area since it is close to my home and I have never seen a bear. What a treat!

I have spent a lot of nights camping in the grassy areas around Wilburn Ridge and never hang my food. May have to rethink that now :)

saltysack
06-23-2014, 10:11
We went to the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area. He did great and had a good time. I made sure he had a light pack and we went at this pace. He can now handle a JetBoil, hang a bear bag, lick a bowl, and has gained some trail wisdom. There were a lot of foals with the ponies. Rhododendron were past bloom and the blueberries are still very green and early in the fruit stage. Water was flowing well at the Thomas Knob shelter (liter fill in about 20 seconds) and there is a nice gutter on it for a nice flow. We saw an adult bear just above the gate area where you leave the state park and start heading uphill.

What were temps like and any skeeters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Kevin
06-23-2014, 10:41
Great job! If we're going to have trails to hike on when we're old poops, we have to get the kids hooked. Showing them a great time on the trail is wonderful.

Yeah, it's early for blueberries. Even the blackcaps and wild strawberries aren't quite ripe up here in the North. About another week or two, it looks like. We had a late spring.

carouselambra
06-23-2014, 13:11
We had no biting bug issues. A lot of flies but they were just a nuisance. Temps were in the low 70s for highs and the upper 50s/low 60s for lows. Rainstorms came through in the afternoon and those brought a ten degree or so drop in temps and rain. If you were sweaty it got chilly for a little while.

saltysack
06-25-2014, 10:54
Sounds perfect...when I hiked last winter it was freezing rain and 40+ mph wind across open bands...I really like winter hiking...

rocketsocks
06-25-2014, 10:57
Great job! If we're going to have trails to hike on when we're old poops, we have to get the kids hooked. Showing them a great time on the trail is wonderful.

Yeah, it's early for blueberries. Even the blackcaps and wild strawberries aren't quite ripe up here in the North. About another week or two, it looks like. We had a late spring.I start lookin for the blue berries around the 4th of July, as told to me by an old friend.

saltysack
06-25-2014, 11:15
Hate auto correct......balds