PDA

View Full Version : Where to park in Roanoke area?

g8trh8tr
09-30-2005, 22:00
Getting ready to go on a 5 or 6 day hike starting in the Roanoke, Va area. Can anyone advise of a place to leave my vehicle in the Roanoke area? I am not from the area so any input is appreciated.

Groucho
09-30-2005, 22:45
Getting ready to go on a 5 or 6 day hike starting in the Roanoke, Va area. Can anyone advise of a place to leave my vehicle in the Roanoke area? I am not from the area so any input is appreciated.

I've parked on highway 311 near Catawba without incident, but it's been a while since I hiked that area. N is McAfee Knob. It is a popular parking area, and I haven't heard of any incidents, but who knows?

Farther N is a municipal lot at Daleville on I-81. S of Daleville on the AT is the Knob. The AT no longer goes right by the lot. It is on 220 going toward the interstate, east of the Trail. Someone else may know details.

You can park along the BRP (just about anywhere) N of Daleville. There are several places with easy access to the AT. Register at the Peaks of Otter
Visitor's Center. If it is more convenient you may be able to register by phone; depends on who you talk to.

I got permission to park at the power station on highway 501 (I believe it is on 501). Here too, the Trail has been relocated. It is also quite a distance from Roanoke.

Kerosene
10-01-2005, 12:15
Send a personal message or e-mail to Hikerhead. He lives in Roanoke and has helped me get around several times. I'm sure he knows of any problems with regard to parking.

Another alternative would be to spend a night at the Best Western at Appalachian Trail (it may have changed hands) or the Econo-Lodge across the street. I'm sure that they would let you park in their parking lot for the week if you gave them some business.

Hikerhead
10-02-2005, 10:43
The Best Western in Daleville is now a Howard Johnsons I do believe.

I honestly have not heard of any problems with the trail heads around Roanoke. But I'm not everywhere all the time either. Vandalism can happen anytime allmost anywhere.