PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 3-4 day hike...

PiperCub49
06-22-2014, 09:25
I'm looking for a 3-4 day hike in the Whites and I'm really having trouble finding where to start. Last summer, I hiked the Presidential Traverse and tented along the way. I'm thinking that I'm either looking for views from some 4,000 footers or hoping to see some water (lots of ponds along the way, maybe a waterfall, etc). Basically, I'm quite open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
Kody

Wil
06-22-2014, 14:12
I'm looking for a 3-4 day hike in the WhitesA modified Pemi Traverse would be nice. Start normally with Lincoln Woods Trail & Osseo Trail. Do standard Pemi Traverse (Franconia Ridge; Garfield Ridge; Twins/Bonds/Bondcliff Ridge) but backtrack a few miles once you hit the Bondcliff peak and take the Twinway Trail over into the Zealand Notch area, maybe Thoreau Falls, and back to your car via the East Side Road Trail.

Or just a very leisurely standard Pemi Traverse with some short side trips (Galehead & North Twin peaks, Zealand peak and maybe overlook, West Bond peak). Maybe include a detour to Thirteen Falls from the northern descent of Garfield and then directly up to Galehead Hut.

Driver8
06-22-2014, 15:40
To the OP: An ambitious four day hike might be possible depending on your pace. Start in Glencliff, traverse Moosilauke and stay at the shelter south of the Kinsmen - Eliza Brook, I think. This would be a very hard day. You could abbreviate it by staying at Beaver Brook Shelter on M's northern slope. Day 2 for the ambitious hike would, weather permitting, take you to Liberty Spring tentsite on Franconia Ridge, while a less ambitious plan could take you to the campsite on the A.T. between North Kinsman and the Lonesome Lake AMC hut.

Ambitious Day 3 would lead you to Guyot Campsite maybe a mile south of the A.T. between Mount Guyot, which the A.T. summits, and Mount Bond. Sunsets from the Bonds on clear days are legendary. Gentler Day 3 would take you to Liberty Spring. Ambitious Day 4 leads you to Crawford Notch on the A.T. or, if you prefer, to the Highland Center on a traverse of the Willey Range from Zealand Falls Hut. The A.T. NOBO from that hut is on an old railroad grade most of the way and so is noted to be easy, with the descent into the notch being predictably rocky - if you find you're ahead of schedule at the end of your hike, keep in mind there are some very pretty waterfalls near the A.T. on the west wall of Crawford Notch - Arethusa most famous among them, with others nearby. Easier Day 4 involves a traverse of Franconia Ridge - duck south a quarter mile and tag Liberty while you're at it - its double summit is spectacular and worth the easy side trip. After cresting Lafayette, descend Greenleaf Trail and the Old Bridle Path past Greenleaf Hut for a beautiful end to your hike, which will leave you in Lafayette Place parking on I-93, the Franconia Notch Parkway.

You're from Maine, so you probably know all about the weather, but in case you're not acquainted with the Mount Washington Observatory weather station and its website, check out mountwashington.org, especially the Higher Summits forecast, Mount Washington Valley forecast and the Current Summit conditions. Super useful.