PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike "Plan B"?

Coffee
06-22-2014, 10:38
I'm planning to thru hike a long trail in 2015, which may either be the PCT NOBO (more likely) or the AT SOBO (possible but less likely) depending on a number of factors that I'm still working out. Part of my planning involves whether to give up my primary residence for the duration of the hike. There are obviously financial benefits associated with doing so, but this comes at a certain risk if all doesn't go as planned and for some reason I am forced off the trail. I view the probability of not finishing as low but not zero, certainly below 25%.

I am curious to know whether other potential thru hikers, either on the AT or PCT, had a "plan B" in mind before the trip (other than simply returning home) that would consume the remaining time for the planned thru. So far, if on the PCT, I've come up with spending an extended amount of time either in Mammoth Lakes and/or Tahoe, exploring the California and Oregon coasts, possibly renting a small RV for a while, etc. Doing some outdoor related volunteer activities (trail crew, etc) is also possible. Obviously the reason for being forced off the trail would impact things to some extent ... a broken leg would eliminate outdoor activities while something less serious physically but still thru hike ending would likely leave open possibilities.

Anyway, I'm not expecting failure but sometimes things come up beyond our control that cannot be avoided.

Slo-go'en
06-22-2014, 12:10
I doubt many people have a "plan B". But if you decide long distance hiking isn't for you, it is fun to spend some time exploring an area. I once spent a whole summer wandering around Yellowstone and only scratched the surface of what could be seen there. Unless your seriously injured, still have money and time, no sense going home.

WingedMonkey
06-22-2014, 13:39
I've never had a plan "B".

It seems to interfere with plan "A".

lilricky
06-22-2014, 13:42
If you haven't done a long distance trail before, the PCT is more likely to cause a "Plan B" than the AT would. If you give up your primary residence and hike the whole thing, wouldn't you have to get another place to live anyway, whether it be a month or 6 months from now?

Coffee
06-22-2014, 14:37
The idea would be to lease my condo out for six months. I'm not worried about not liking the hike but physical injury of some type...

Venchka
06-22-2014, 21:53
The idea would be to lease my condo out for six months. I'm not worried about not liking the hike but physical injury of some type...

Plan B might be some sort of early termination of the lease? I have no clue how that might work. Worth looking at.
Is your condo big enough to share if you came back early?
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Coffee
06-22-2014, 23:16
I've never had a plan "B".

It seems to interfere with plan "A".

As I reflect on this desire for a plan b, maybe there is some wisdom in this statement. I've always had backup plans and contingencies in everything I've done any maybe the presence of such plans can impede what's most important. I've certainly fallen back on "plan Bs" in the past and maybe I wouldn't have if it was more uncomfortable. While a "Plan B" isn't likely to increase the risk of physical injury, it could potentially allow momentary or temporary mental stress to ruin a thru hike whereas I may persist if there is no comfortable plan b, get past temporary obstacles and succeed.

So maybe this isn't really a meaningful topic to think about.

mattjv89
06-23-2014, 09:58
Yeah I've thrown some ideas around for next year but stopped short of forming an actual "plan" B. Go find a farm and do some WWOOFing around the country, drive around seeing friends who have scattered far and wide since college, whatever seems to fit. What I know for sure is I'm not spending a year plus saving and walking away from most of the security in my life only to just go straight back to work if I'm forced off the trail.