PDA

View Full Version : Northern VA Outfitting Advice Requested

Thor
10-01-2005, 01:41
Howdy all, first post and all that. Beat the newbie. :datz

I'm starting to outfit for a 2006 thru-hike and I figured I'd pop in and ask if there are any outfitters in my locale that I should be supporting. I live in Manassas, Virginia. I can always hit the big mass-market stores, but I like to support 'mom and pop' operations whenever I can.

So..anyone know of any reputable outfitters owned by friends of the AT in the Northern VA/Maryland area? Or should I just hit the local Hudson Trail Outfitters and their ilk?

chknfngrs
10-01-2005, 08:43
REI Bailey's (2 friends, also happen to be former-thruhikers work there) plus largest selection around. And it's a co-op.... There's also Casual Adventurer in Arlington on Wilson BLvd. Which is smaller and with less stuff, but qualifies as your mom and popper shop.

MoBeach42
10-01-2005, 08:49
I would take the trip to Harper's Ferry. The Outfitter at Harper's Ferry I found to be top rate - not particularly huge, but having the right stuff. Knowledgeable staff - they know the trail. And plus, you can stop off at the ATC too.

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/

Of course there may be other places around closer that I don't know about - I just moved to DC last month... so....

-Jay GA>ME '05

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2005, 09:35
I second the above post: Laura and Ron at the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry have been helping hikers for years; Laura will happily spend a whole day with you answering questions, helping you with packs, footwear, etc.

In my opinion, this is one of the three or four finest outfitters on the entire Trail, and would be a great place for you to visit. The great advantage of going here, Thor, as opposed to some off-Trail shops, is that Laura and Ron have a decade's worth of first-hand experience with actual thru-hikers; they see and work with thru-hikers every day, and this puts them in a great position to help folks like you.

Thor
10-01-2005, 18:10
Awesome. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. Harper's Ferry is easily within reach given that I already drive further than that just for day hikes. And Arlington is 'just down the street' so far as distances in NoVa are concerned.

Thanks much :D

teachergal
10-01-2005, 21:33
Just so you know there's a "new" REI store in Fairfax - it's at the new Goverment Center Shopping area - it's closer than Bailey's Crossroads to you in Manassas. E-mail me privately if you want directions...

Also HTO is a local chain - not quite as good as say the mom-n-pop locally owned type outfitter but better than say Wal-mart! :)

Harper's Ferry is probably easier to get to than Arlington!!!! Less traffic going north! :)

teachergal
10-01-2005, 21:34
I put the new in quotes just because the REI store has been there for at least 2 years so it's really not new, however it's so off the beaten path people might not know about it so it's new to them! :)

Thor
10-01-2005, 21:44
Just so you know there's a "new" REI store in Fairfax - it's at the new Goverment Center Shopping area - it's closer than Bailey's Crossroads to you in Manassas. E-mail me privately if you want directions...

Also HTO is a local chain - not quite as good as say the mom-n-pop locally owned type outfitter but better than say Wal-mart! :)

Harper's Ferry is probably easier to get to than Arlington!!!! Less traffic going north! :)
Thanks for the offer of directions but *cough* I uh..helped build Government Center. I know where it is :)

All good to know. Again, thanks.