PDA

View Full Version : Roan Highlands/Cloudland

seveniron
06-23-2014, 12:08
I'm a long-time lurker who enjoys this great site . . . lots of helpful info.

Quick question . . . is it permissible to tent camp near the old Cloudland Hotel site?

I'm doing a three day stroll from Hughes Gap to 19E, and around the Cloudland site what be the right mileage for day one. I'd rather not stay at Roan High Knob Shelter, as I understand the area is wooded without much in the way of views.

Thanks for your help.

saltysack
06-23-2014, 12:09
I was there this past winter...there are plenty of tent sites....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
06-23-2014, 13:06
Right near a road and LARGE parking lot for the tourists. Didn't see any cars in March 2012, but the possibility is there. Lots of toilets, though. Not open until a certain date as well.

LOTS of tenting places around that area.

Tennessee Viking
06-23-2014, 13:33
Cloudland is a historical site by the USFS. So camping is not permitted on the grassy hill or visible distance of the parking lot, or around the Gardens. There was signage for no camping but I think it was vandalized. During the summer time, the Gardens and Cloudland sites are accessible to the public, so I doubt you want to be waking up to buses and noisy tourists.

There was a primitive site near the old chimney below the trail but I believe that site was also unofficial and discouraged.

Hikers cannot camp on Round Bald either due to protected plants/fragile soil.

Ashe Gap has plenty of camping with a good water source.

If you want views, I would suggest walking the balds to Grassy Ridge and passed the summit and plaque to a small saddle right before the side trail ends. There will also be goats grazing on the balds during the summer. So you may want take that into consideration. If you camp on the balds, consider the weather. Windy and any possible storm.

Also consider Bradley Gap, Little Hump, the field next to Overmountain Barn, or some quick camping spots south of Stan Murray.

No Directions
06-23-2014, 13:36
If you can hike a little farther camp at Grassy Ridge. It's about 3/4 mile off the AT but the views are spectacular.

Tennessee Viking
06-23-2014, 13:48
This is Grassy Ridge beyond the side trail dead end with a barely visible trail through the Rodos. Its technically private property under the SAHC.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 22:42
If you can hike a little farther camp at Grassy Ridge. It's about 3/4 mile off the AT but the views are spectacular.

*WOW* I literally said that out loud.

seveniron
06-24-2014, 10:57
Thanks for the helpful responses.

Are there good views around Ash Gap? Or is it also a wooded area?

Tennessee Viking
06-24-2014, 11:35
Ash Gap is wooded but spacious. And not as densely wooded with the firs on Roan High. The only open areas on Roan are the gardens, Cloudland, and the Balds.

You have some sparingly open areas and cliffs going up Little Rock Knob to Hughes Gap. Then to the north of Roan High the trail along balds and the side trail up Grassy Ridge, Overmountain Barn looking down Roaring Creek valley, and then the Humps.