PDA

View Full Version : A bit of an odd one

AfghanVet
06-23-2014, 13:37
As I'm sitting here studying further the possibility of a thru-hike with Warrior Hike, I'm incredibly grateful that they are willing to provide for the expenses of the thru-hike and that alone is more than I, as a wounded veteran could ever hope for. However, it's put me in a quandry. Do I train up with no gear and hope it's enough. Do I just not train up at all and hope my body adapts to the trail, or do I try training up with gear that is equivalent to what I would use on the thru-hike? It's been my general understanding that training like you fight, as we said in the military is the way to go however, I'm finding the expenses continue to mount and I've not even put money out yet, the tab is just ringing up in my head. And all of it is far more than I can afford on my disability pay and the little bit I make at the pawn shop. So what I'm trying to figure out, does anyone know of any places that either loan hiking equipment or by some miracle might be willing to donate some to an old busted up dude like myself? Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to read.

Richard

bigcranky
06-23-2014, 14:15
I don't know that you need to do more than just walk. A lot. I'm not sure where Cumming is, but if you can walk up and down hills, so much the better. Running would help more with the cardio training, of course, so if you like to run and can do so, it's not a bad idea.

Lots of people show up at Springer with new gear, never having spent a night in the woods, and some of them make it to Katahdin -- probably the same percentage who make it overall. Just showing up in good physical condition puts you miles ahead of many people attempting thru-hikes. For our section hikes, we just stay in some sort of walking shape with evening walks around our hilly neighborhood, and it's usually plenty -- after a week or so on the trail, I'm back in good trail shape.

If you have specific issues, like knee problems or whatever, some specific weight training can help. But I really think there is no good reason to spend a lot of money on gear in order to get in reasonable shape for a thru.

When will you find out about the Warrior Hike? Or have you already?

AfghanVet
06-23-2014, 14:19
They received my application last week and said they would update me in the fall. I got accepted for a Sierra's hike in September but they put a short deadline on the medical paperwork and the rate the VA moves at might not allow me to do that one but I'm going to try regardless.

TOW
06-23-2014, 15:16
I can and want to help you. Tell me exactly what it is you think you need right now.

I'll take your word for what you are telling us here. I believe in you and want to help a bit

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

carouselambra
06-23-2014, 15:20
For my year-round 5-8 mile training hikes around our local lake I put a bunch of towels in the bottom of my backpack and then put three to four gallons of water in a five-gallon water bottle and put in in the backpack. That way I don't have all my gear compressed. Also, if I were in the middle of a training hike and needed to drop weight due to a turned ankle or something, all I have to do is pour out the water.

My brother lives in Cumming and I will be seeing him on the July 4th weekend. I can loan you my son's backpack (it has sentimental value so I would want it back later and it is heavier than you would want on a through hike) to use for training hikes if you wanted to do this. You could just return it to my brother once you get the backpack you are going to use.

AfghanVet
06-23-2014, 16:38
Man, all of you folks are incredible. TOW, to answer your question, I literally have nothing at the moment. I have no poles, no tent, I have an Army sleep system that I could use though there is still some debate out there on how feasible that is. I don't want anyone to just take my word for it. I will upload my DD214 for ya'll and blank out my social even though I know that doesn't exactly prove I'm honest. Give me a second to figure out how to upload this stinking image.

AfghanVet
06-23-2014, 16:40
Alright, I've attached a copy of my DD214. You have my name from that and if you really want to prove my validity, through the Freedom of Information Act you can verify it's authenticity :D

AfghanVet
06-23-2014, 16:50
I really wish there was an edit post feature on here. Anyway, as I was saying, I have a sleeping bag that is passable and that's basically about it. I'm fine hiking in the clothing I have, it doesn't bother me, I just wear plain ole clothing. Anything else at all would be more than I really even feel worthy of. I don't want to put anyone out on my account.

Going back to my DD214 which might be a little confusing to someone who has never seen one, it tells you the rank I was retired at, the amount of time I served, the time I spent in combat as well as every medal or ribbon I was awarded. The first listing in section 13 is my Purple Heart and I know there are other vets around here that can verify as well that it's the real deal.

AfghanVet
06-23-2014, 16:57
Oh also, equally important, the DD214 shows that my discharge was honorable :D

TOW
06-23-2014, 20:31
I really wish there was an edit post feature on here. Anyway, as I was saying, I have a sleeping bag that is passable and that's basically about it. I'm fine hiking in the clothing I have, it doesn't bother me, I just wear plain ole clothing. Anything else at all would be more than I really even feel worthy of. I don't want to put anyone out on my account.

Going back to my DD214 which might be a little confusing to someone who has never seen one, it tells you the rank I was retired at, the amount of time I served, the time I spent in combat as well as every medal or ribbon I was awarded. The first listing in section 13 is my Purple Heart and I know there are other vets around here that can verify as well that it's the real deal.

Buddy you did not have to go to that extreme. I am gonna send you a PM

TOW
06-23-2014, 20:34
If anyone else wants to help send this chap a note

meat803
06-24-2014, 10:57
Curious, what was your service related disability. USMC myself 95-00.

AfghanVet
06-24-2014, 12:47
My service-connected disability is 80% from the VA and 60% from the Army. But the Military Order of the Purple Heart guys were upset that I was never rated on my traumatic brain injury and promptly took me to a VA rep and had them submit me for 100%. That was done last April, still isn't scheduled to be done in eBenefits until January-August of 2015 which potentially puts me out past 2 years.

Just Bill
06-24-2014, 13:00
As I'm sitting here studying further the possibility of a thru-hike with Warrior Hike, I'm incredibly grateful that they are willing to provide for the expenses of the thru-hike and that alone is more than I, as a wounded veteran could ever hope for. However, it's put me in a quandry. Do I train up with no gear and hope it's enough. Do I just not train up at all and hope my body adapts to the trail, or do I try training up with gear that is equivalent to what I would use on the thru-hike? It's been my general understanding that training like you fight, as we said in the military is the way to go however, I'm finding the expenses continue to mount and I've not even put money out yet, the tab is just ringing up in my head. And all of it is far more than I can afford on my disability pay and the little bit I make at the pawn shop. So what I'm trying to figure out, does anyone know of any places that either loan hiking equipment or by some miracle might be willing to donate some to an old busted up dude like myself? Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to read.

Richard

Richard-
I could be incorrect, but in looking into Warrior Hike before and listening to The Trail Show interview (ask Mags) I believe not only do they provide the bulk of the gear, but they also work with you to provide mentoring, guidance, and training to get you going. I believe the founder also personally goes out for the first week with everyone to get them going. Should you be accepted into the program I think you are over thinking it.

That said- getting in shape period is a good plan, requiring little expense on your part. It seems as if you are past the "Gee I don't know if I like camping out" phase, the main reason for early overnighters.
In addition, as you won't be choosing the gear given to you, you don't need to "get out and figure out what works".
Bottom line- you don't need to "backback" to get ready for warrior hike- just walk with some weight on your back and basic necessities.

So becoming a dedicated Day tripper is all you need to worry about.
Decent Shoes-up to you.
Decent socks- Darn Tuff
A daypack- Thrift store or donation.
Something to carry water- empty two liter pop bottles, milk jug, etc. All free- all good ways as mentioned to add weight.
Some basic first aid, map, compass.
A place to hike!

I would be happy to send a daypack to you. Probably have some basic first aid and odds and ends I could toss in it.
Many folks here know your area and can give you dozens of places to go- maybe someone has a hiking in Georgia book they could lend?

Perhaps in combination some of us could donate gift cards etc to a store of your choice to pick up some shoes.

AfghanVet
06-24-2014, 13:45
Well, first let me start off by saying that, when I made this post I never anticipated generosity on the individual level like has been poured out on me. I thought maybe someone knew a company or something that maybe could write off a couple of small items to me and not put themselves out at all. It's been incredible the people that have offered their help.

I grew up camping, I was raised by grandparents until I was 12 and my grandfather was an old soul. He loved the outdoors, especially camping and fishing and it was bred into me. Carry that over to the Army where we did a lot of field exercises as well as our time down range and I truly do love being in nature so I know that enjoy being outdoors overnight or for days on end. That part isn't a question for me.

So, like you said day hikes for training purposes would most likely suffice. I admittedly know very little about Warrior Hike and their train-up programs or mentoring and I am not even positive I've been accepted, not until Fall. I am accepted to an Outward Bound hike in the Sierra Nevadas in September though which is going to wear me out, without a doubt :D

That being said, if I do manage to collect enough stuff to allow me to do some overnight or 3-4 day trips it will be serving more of a purpose than just train up. Or, maybe it would be part of train-up. I've heard so much about the mental aspect and for me being outside be it hunting, fishing or hiking, it is a bit of solace in a chaotic world for me. My wife doesn't appreciate it but if I do get items that facilitate me overnighting then you all will be providing me comfort as well as training opportunities.

Just Bill
06-24-2014, 13:58
It's summer, you live in Ga- a $5 8x10 blue special tarp from Home Depot, a bit of paracord, and your existing army gear will get you out.
Sounds like your payments are delayed and you should save your cash. Warrior hike folks get to keep their gear to the best of my knowledge.

1)Put your energy into pursuing Warrior hike.
2)Doing day hikes with some cheap/existing gear to extend to an over-nighter.
3)If warrior hike is a bust by the end of the season- likely there are folks here to help you out and gear up.

Let us/TOW/me know if you need something to further that goal.

rocketsocks
06-24-2014, 14:42
If you go to Sectionhiker.com and write a Hiaku you could win a backpack...don't delay though, ends tomarrow or the next day I think.

AfghanVet
06-24-2014, 15:50
I'm not much of a poet but I tried and I messed up the word rule so there's that lol

rocketsocks
06-24-2014, 15:58
Yep, you'll have that. Not sure how it'll be pulled, best of or just random...hope ya win. But you got time yet before your hike, I'm sure something will turn up, call it a hunch.

AfghanVet
06-24-2014, 16:14
Odds are I am over thinking it, going back to Bill's post earlier. I tend to do that, I am very analytical and I usually wind up messing up even the easiest of problems. We have a long weekend from work the weekend of the 4th so I'm hoping maybe I can do a two-day from Amicalola to Springer and back or something to that effect but we'll see. Depends on a lot of factors, if nothing else maybe I can squeeze in a full day hike.

rafe
06-24-2014, 16:17
AV -- they say, when there's a will there's a way. Casual hiking needn't be very expensive, and it doesn't necessarily involve cutting edge high-tech gear made of titanium or Cuben fiber. Beg, (steal) or borrow some gear for day hikes, then a simple overnighter in fair weather, then two nights, then maybe an overnighter in not-so-great weather and see if you don't mind muddy trails and camping in the rain. If you're still enthused at that point, start looking to "move up" to better gear. (If you're not enthused, consider whether or not it was the gear that was at fault.)

You can post a "WTB" (wanted to buy) or look for used gear being sold here on Whiteblaze. Lots of folks here find great stuff at thrift stores. Look on eBay, Craigslist, etc. Buy last year's stuff, off-season, etc.

Example: I don't carry a down or fleece jacket in summer -- I carry a plain ordinary synthetic flannel shirt. "Boots" could be a $45 pair of New Balance trail runners from an outlet store. Excellent rain gear from Frogg Toggs, $20 for the set. Alcohol stoves made from cat food cans. There are forums and posts here about hiking on-the-cheap. It's almost like a game for some folks.

AfghanVet
06-24-2014, 16:30
I do have Frogg Toggs rain gear. I keep forgetting that, I bought it recently and it's brand new. I'm glad you brought that up. I've been cruising around Craigslist almost daily and I have the added advantage of working here at the Pawn Shop. I saw at Jet Boil at a sporting goods store here for around $40 so I'm saving up to objectively obtain that sometime in the future but all good advice. I really appreciate all of the input on my behalf.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-24-2014, 17:38
First of all, good luck and as a fellow Soldier & vet thanks for serving! (High five)

Second, if you kept the sleep system you made a GREAT move! What other gear besides the sleep system do you have?

If you have the complete system, the bivvy sack is like pure gold. Its wieghs in at 29 oz, but normally costs upward of $200. The patrol bag (lighter one) is rated down to 40 degrees, and I have mine compressed down pretty nicely. The other bag is just way to heavy and bulky for anything you'd need to get into this year (unless you hike later on in OCT-NOV). If you still have the silkweight tops & bottoms, those will come in handy as well.

I don't use much of my issue gear (WAY too heavy & bulky), but here's a list of stuff I do use for backpacking:
Patrol SB
Bivvy sack
silkweight top & bottom
fleece cap
Camelbak

I wish I had seen this earlier- I just unloaded some extra stuff I didn't need on eBay. As far as getting in shape, tackle whatever hills/mountains you can. Channel your old ruckmarching alter ego when you do. Also, remember that ANYTHING you carry on a thru will be at least 20 pounds lighter than what you had in your ruck while you were in. Trust me...

AfghanVet
06-24-2014, 19:59
I have my entire sleep system minus the stuff sack. Obviously all of my ACUs my field jacket, all my silk weights and also my waffles somewhere around here. I have my fleece caps somewhere but God only knows where those jokers are and that's about it for my issued gear.

AfghanVet
07-03-2014, 11:20
Just wanted to say a quick thank you real fast to Old Hiker, got a package from him yesterday with a couple of bags of Coleman trail food in it, some non-perishable MRE items like spoons and such and some Map-danas in it. Those things are sweet, I'll take a picture and upload later so ya'll know I'm a real person lol

AfghanVet
07-03-2014, 11:21
Oh! And some no bake cheesecake that was already broken down into serving size! Awesome stuff :)

TrippLite
07-03-2014, 12:28
If I were you, I would request that a moderator remove your posting with your DD214 attached from this thread for your security...
regards

AfghanVet
07-03-2014, 12:38
Well, I've thought about it but the addresses aren't correct and my social is blanked out. At best you have my name and date of birth.

zelph
07-03-2014, 16:35

Richard

How busted up are you? What are your physical limitations? How old are you?

You say you are employed, what type of work are you doing? Maybe your employer can be a source of help for your immediate needs...how about family and friends.

AfghanVet
07-07-2014, 09:57
I have 80% disability from the VA, 60% from the Army. I have degenerative disk disease in my neck and back. I've had two shoulder surgeries on my left shoulder, one removing a portion of my collar bone, the other repairing a labrum tear. I've had my left ankle reconstructed from an injury to the talus dome, three pins there. That's about the extent of my damages besides some PTSD, TBI and headaches.

rocketsocks
07-07-2014, 12:42
didn't read it over yet, but found this.

http://www.salomon.com/us/warranty.html

rocketsocks
07-07-2014, 12:44
Oops, wrong thread...can't edit right now, i'm in the rears.

TOW
07-10-2014, 10:30
Just shipped some gear to ya

rocketsocks
07-10-2014, 10:41
Just shipped some gear to ya

Awesome! Way to pay it forward Larry. :)

AfghanVet
07-10-2014, 12:07
Thanks again TOW for everything. I can't express properly my gratitude.

TOW
07-10-2014, 12:47
Thanks again TOW for everything. I can't express properly my gratitude.

Lets just get you going I believe in you

AfghanVet
07-14-2014, 19:22
TOW, if you were the in front o me, I'd hug you with no shame. I got the package today with th tent, sleeping bag, trekking poles, pack and 550 or paracord. All of this is so much more than I ever could have imagined and I can't say thank you enough.

rocketsocks
07-14-2014, 21:41
Awesome!!!!!!!!

AfghanVet
07-14-2014, 22:11
27736 Here it all is.

TOW
07-17-2014, 12:52
TOW, if you were the in front o me, I'd hug you with no shame. I got the package today with th tent, sleeping bag, trekking poles, pack and 550 or paracord. All of this is so much more than I ever could have imagined and I can't say thank you enough.

Cool!!!!!!

AfghanVet
07-23-2014, 18:48
Just Bill, I received your package today. Man, you guys just don't even know. This all means so much to me. With the three packages I have now, I have trail food for a couple of days, I have a tent, sleeping bag, pack, day pack, trekking poles, Camelbak, Aqua Mira drops, fire starters, paracord, tent stakes, a sleeping pad, a Tyvek ground cloth, a tent foot print, an alcohol stove, some shoes to hike in, some socks, some shirts. I can't even list it all but from my very novice estimation I literally have pretty much everything I need to go out and overnight. I could go literally right now if I wanted. You guys are so incredible and I can't say thank you to everyone enough.