PDA

View Full Version : Books and publications

jjozgrunt
06-23-2014, 18:11
G'day - New here and starting planning for a thru hike in 2016. Besides maps what books or publications would be the best to plan with and carry on the hike? Are maps necessary or are the ones in the trail guides good enough if combined with a GPS?

Thanks for the help and I'm sure there will be many more questions.

JJ

Lone Wolf
06-23-2014, 18:17
get this http://www.theatguide.com/ smaller and lighter than the Companion

rocketsocks
06-23-2014, 18:40
What he said! good book/guide, :welcome

jjozgrunt
06-24-2014, 04:57
Thanks, it's ordered.

Rain Man
06-24-2014, 08:00
If you have a smart phone, you can get or convert the electronic versions of the guides to pdf form, then store on your phone. For my section hikes, I have one paper version and the other in pdf. Best of both worlds.

As far as maps, I love maps and believe everyone should have them, just as everyone should have a compass and know how to use it.

Rain:sunMan

jjozgrunt
06-24-2014, 16:54
[QUOTE=Rain Man;1888698
As far as maps, I love maps and believe everyone should have them, just as everyone should have a compass and know how to use it.

Rain:sunMan

.[/QUOTE]
As ex infantry in the time before GPS became the norm, I agree with you. Always carry them and a compass in Australia as the trails are not so well marked or unmarked on some on the longer walks. From what I am reading about the AT, it is very well marked and much traveled, so maps in the guides and the trail downloaded to my GPS may be all right. Unless I can get someone from here to come, I will be starting solo northbound. From what I have read though that won't be a problem as no one seems to start alone anyway, with so many starting at the popular times. I'm sure to pick up some travelling companions along the way.

mad4scrapping
06-24-2014, 19:20
jjozgrunt-- best of luck on your hike! I hope you have a great experience (I'm sure you will).

Ricky&Jack
06-24-2014, 21:28
If you have a smart phone, you can get or convert the electronic versions of the guides to pdf form, then store on your phone.

I never thought of that. iPhones read PDF, right?

Venchka
06-24-2014, 21:42
I never thought of that. iPhones read PDF, right?

As long as the battery has a charge. I would not put all of my eggs in that basket.
How was your hike in the Smokies?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Ricky&Jack
06-24-2014, 21:43
As long as the battery has a charge. I would not put all of my eggs in that basket.
How was your hike in the Smokies?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

It was great. good thing I brought a frog-tog jacket.

Tomorrow Im going with the Chattanooga hiking club to "look out mountain" near chattanooga. Weather permitting.

TNhiker
06-24-2014, 23:38
It was great. good thing I brought a frog-tog jacket.

did ya wear it when you were throwing up or fixing the vacuum?

linus72
07-03-2014, 13:22
Anyone know how much more 'up to date' the thru-hikers companion and data book are in the '14 editions vs '13. The reason I ask is the price diff on the ATC store is substantial and for someone who's a section hiker and will take a decade to finish most likely, not sure Its worth paying 4x the price on each for the 'latest' edition when its only one year diff at this point and I wont get past finishing even my state this year anyway. the '13 editions seem fine, but would love some feedback.