PDA

View Full Version : That darn Bunion!!

Freedom Walker
06-23-2014, 20:25
I don't visit here as much as I used to, and this may have come up before. I have a rather large bunion on my left foot and it causes me problems on hikes. I have tried stretching my boot at the spot where the bunion rubs and I use moleskin to prevent rubbing. It hurts mostly going downhill. Once I hiked downhill maybe 1000 ft. over 3 miles. I forgot to protect the bunion and when I checked it the skin had rubbed off and it was bleeding. I plan on retiring early in two years and having bunion surgery over the first winter. Any advice from anyone here who has this problem. Thanks

slbirdnerd
06-24-2014, 12:43
Hi Freedom. I have bunions on both feet, plus curled up pinky toes. Foot woes at 40, ugh! With hiking and with life in general, I have to wear a more flexible boot or shoe--more fabric or mesh, less or no leather. I can't wear a hard leather boot or shoe, ever. I used to get hiking blisters above and below my bunions. With trail runners, I do not. Overall they are very comfortable where the bunions are concerned. Trail runners might be worth a try. My only complaint with mine is that they are so flexible I feel my feet slipping around. I think this can be solved with a better fitting shoe, different insole, etc.

However, I also have a pair of Merrell Moab waterproof boots that, with sock liners and Darn Tough socks, also have caused no distress to my bunions. I may be giving them a shot this summer to see if they help with my pinky toe discomfort, despite the potential for sweating inside the boots.

I'm betting I'll be headed for bunion surgery some day. What does your doc tell you about hiking afterward?

The Cleaner
06-24-2014, 13:27
I'll be having my second surgery on 7-3. My problem is that a bony mass has developed between my 1st and 2nd toes. The 1st time it had gotten so bad that it was pushing my big toe to the left (right foot is affected one) several degrees and causing me to limp, which aggravated my back problems. I had to let this go for 2 years in which I did not hike as I could not afford the surgery. I finally got my disability approved in 08 due to mostly back problems and some other problems. Well in the last few months it seemed to be growing back(which often happens) and is causing pain after being on it for most of the day. I still did hike some but had to cut back on mileage as my back problem is permanent. The 1st surgery, done in 08 has kept me going till this year and the problem has only got worse in the last few months. The biggest problem for me is that I will not be able put any weight on it for 6 weeks and then will have to wear a surgical shoe for 2 more weeks. I planned the surgery for July 3rd which means I'll not be able to hike till September. It's too hot and humid here during July and August and I don't hike much then anyway as I sweat gallons it seems in warm weather and this in itself is a problem. I just am able to work a few hours a day due to back and a heart issue, so I'll be laying around for 2 months when I wouldn't be doing much any way. Everyone's feet are different and so is the fix. Surgery for you might be required and when and if needed. The worst thing is the recovery time and you need to let it heal completely to avoid ruining the surgery. This time they will remove the screws from the 1st surgery and put a small plate in and fuse #1 and #2 toes together. You need to see a good podiatrist for an evaluation and go from there. I'd say your problem will only worsen with time so the sooner you have it checked out you can plan on how to fix your foot so you can get back to pain free hiking. Good luck.:)

Snowleopard
06-24-2014, 18:32
A good sports podiatrist can be very helpful. Mine is a marathoner and triathlete, so understands that we want to keep going. The best bet for finding a good sports podiatrist might be to ask running clubs or, maybe, a knowledgeable running shoe shop.

My bunion is not directly painful, but messes up the geometry of my foot so I get a fold/pinch of skin below it; this gives me a blister 0.25" wide and 1" long and rather deep and raw. The partial solution has been:
orthotics,
keeping it taped up, with the podiatrist having a number of ideas on how to do this,
keeping callouses in the area where the blister forms filed down with a pumice stone.
and using Correct toes toe spacers (the toe spacers change the geometry of the foot enough that it slows down the blistering and I can walk further).
I have to wear shoes with a wide toe box to fit the toe spacers without rubbing; vivobarefoot shoes work for me.

I don't know if I'll eventually get the bunion surgery; my podiatrist says no, my primary care doc says yes.
My partial solution may not work for you; it's best to see what your podiatrist says.

Correct Toes:
https://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes/103-about.
https://nwfootankle.com/foot-health/drill/3-Problems/22-Bunion (https://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes/103-about)
My experience makes me think that the Correct Toes toe spacers won't reverse the bunion, but makes it more bearable.