PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Pants

dmath010
06-23-2014, 21:22
Starting Sobo from Katahdin on 7/10 and the last piece of gear to nail down is pants. I've decided to go with convertibles for better bug protection with an option to cool down if needed. I'm looking for a pair that is

- ultra lightweight. Looking more for breath ability than durability
- zip pockets
- shorts with an inseam of less than 10"
-prefer a slimmer fit over baggy

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

saltysack
06-23-2014, 21:26
Love my mountain hardware conv lasted for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
06-23-2014, 21:32
Funny you should ask, not one hour ago I was workin outside, squat down for something, needed to go a little further and felt the binding....but went anyway....Damn!

EMS conversion pant, about 8 yrs. old, legs no longer match the shorts cause I always wear em as shorts, they own me not one thing...but whatever! :)

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 22:21
The Columbia Silver Ridge pants are a little snugger fit than the North Face convertibles I have. Absolutely love them. I think the inseams on mine are 10", but you can research.

Damn Yankee
06-23-2014, 22:27
+1 on the REI. They also have the type that not only convert to shorts but also have a zipper from the shorts down both legs so you don't have to take your shoes off.

perrito
06-23-2014, 22:37
Love my mountain hardware conv lasted for years

+1
I have 2 pair and love them. I think the shorts are longer than 10 on mine though. I also wish they had a zipper pocket too, like my EMS non-convertables.
Check out railriders.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

saltysack
06-23-2014, 23:38
+1
I have 2 pair and love them. I think the shorts are longer than 10 on mine though. I also wish they had a zipper pocket too, like my EMS non-convertables.
Check out railriders.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

My mh have a lil zip pocket perfect for id etc...believe they are Mesa model....only gripe is built in belt..

BuckeyeBill
06-24-2014, 00:28
Starting Sobo from Katahdin on 7/10 and the last piece of gear to nail down is pants. I've decided to go with convertibles for better bug protection with an option to cool down if needed. I'm looking for a pair that is

- ultra lightweight. Looking more for breath ability than durability
- zip pockets
- shorts with an inseam of less than 10"
-prefer a slimmer fit over baggy

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Check out these (http://www.rei.com/product/861660/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-32-inseam#specsTab) from REI. Weight 13 oz, some zip pockets, some Velcro pockets, 8.2 inch inseam as shorts, relax fit for comfort and movability.

bangorme
06-25-2014, 14:08
I like these: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45464 . I don't own the convertible, but do own the shorts and pants made from the same material. The linked pants weigh in at about 13 oz. The material is very light and dries extremely quickly. I remove the belt and wear a webbed belt. My con to them is that you don't have a big selection in inseam lengths and the waist size isn't in inches.

colorado_rob
06-25-2014, 14:16
Check out these (http://www.rei.com/product/861660/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-32-inseam#specsTab) from REI. Weight 13 oz, some zip pockets, some Velcro pockets, 8.2 inch inseam as shorts, relax fit for comfort and movability. Yep, +2 or 3 or whatever on those REI Sahara's. I've owned three different ones now, the North Face somethings, Columbia Silver Ridge and REI Sahara's. The Sahara's beat them all for overall fit and functionality, and I just picked up a second pair off the clearance rack for $40. Much lighter and more breathable than the NF, roomier than the Silver Ridge and easiest to zip off/on. They dry nearly instantly too.

Sly
06-25-2014, 14:50
I've had several different brands but always look for ExOfficio

Elder
06-25-2014, 16:28
I found the American Sportsman (?) at Bass Pro and have worn out 3 or 4 pairs. $29.95, to $34.95. Nylon, stain resistant and durable. The earlier ones had a "mesh brief" which I immediately removed, but my newest ones, last week, do not have the mesh.

bigcranky
06-25-2014, 21:13
+1 on the REI Sahara. They are fairly light and have decent pockets.

burger
06-26-2014, 10:11
The Patagonia Gi III pants are great--one pair lasted me the entire CDT, and I'm still using them (on the PCT a pair of Columbia pants died after 900 miles, and a North Face pair were trashed after the remaining 1700 miles). They have a fairly slim cut and 2 zippered pockets (back and side). Not the cheapest, but they make stuff that lasts.

q-tip
06-26-2014, 11:41
http://www.golite.com/Mens-Pyramid-Peak-Convertible-Pant-P46928.aspx

Dont like that these do not have ankle compressors, but they are light and I use Dirty Girl
Gaiters anyway.....