PDA

View Full Version : Parking Issues/ Vandalism?

JumpMaster Blaster
06-23-2014, 22:11
Has anyone had (or heard of) any recent issues parking at the following trailheads? Looking at parking overnight or up to 2 nights max.

-Low Gap north of Double Springs Shelter (US 421)

-US 321 at south end of Watauga Lake (or is parking up by the dam on Wilbur Dam rd preferred)

-Indian Grave Gap (TN 395/NC 197)

-Sam's Gap (paved lot under I-26)

-VA 42 (south of Knot Maul Branch Shelter)

blue indian
06-24-2014, 06:58
I wouldn't leave my car at Indian grave gap. It appeared to be a local hangout for high school kids (beer cans, bottles, condom wrapper, a pair of women's underwear...)

Tennessee Viking
06-24-2014, 07:43
Has anyone had (or heard of) any recent issues parking at the following trailheads? Looking at parking overnight or up to 2 nights max.

-Low Gap north of Double Springs Shelter (US 421)

-US 321 at south end of Watauga Lake (or is parking up by the dam on Wilbur Dam rd preferred)

-Indian Grave Gap (TN 395/NC 197)

-Sam's Gap (paved lot under I-26)

-VA 42 (south of Knot Maul Branch Shelter)

Low Gap (US 421) has some old history of vandalism but nothing as of recent. I would actually suggest parking at TN 91/Cross Mtn Road at the Osborne Farm trailhead. Its a more appealing parking area.

Avoid US321 at Watauga Lake except for day hikes. Its known for attracting partying locals.
**Note: US321 to Wilbur Dam Road is under USFS advisory for bears. No camping.

Indian Grave Gap. Its had some old history of vandalism. But I would recommend parking down at Chestoa or Johnnys in Erwin.

Sam's Gap. No problems

Have not been to the VA 42 area.

lemon b
06-24-2014, 08:07
Blotz Road in this area has been known for vehicle break-in's.

FlyPaper
06-24-2014, 09:59
We left a car at VA 42 for 3 nights a few years ago. No problems.

hikernutcasey
06-24-2014, 10:09
We left a car at Watauga Lake for 2 nights but did not use the picnic area. We parked about .3 tenths east on 321 at the boat ramp under the street light. Not as many folks down there and not as many kids partying.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-24-2014, 15:32
I know the ATC updates any parking area issues, but I get more from actually talking to folks who have been there recently.

Beer cans and underwear and condom wrappers, oh my!

WingedMonkey
06-24-2014, 16:49
Not always current, but they try to keep reports of problems.

Appalachian Trail Parking

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

imscotty
12-11-2016, 12:03
From the first edition of the Appalachian Trailway News I have found what may be the first reported case of 'Trailhead Vandalism.' (Published January, 1939 Vol. 1 No. 1). A brief passage is quoted below.

‘A Trip Through the Southern Appalachians’ by George Outerbridge

"The Kilpatrick’s car was broken into at the trail crossing of Route 76 in Dick’s Creek Gap and valuable hiking equipment was stolen. The car had been towed to Hiawassee by the sheriff."

This letter was sent to Myron Avery from Dr. George Outerbridge. He described his hike with a small party between Spivey Creek Gap and Mount Oglethorpe. The trail and his party's encounters with the locals were described in very positive terms except for this short excerpt from his letter.