PDA

View Full Version : Any 15'ers going to the 2014 Gathering?

cats.don't.camp
06-24-2014, 12:47
I just finished reading the summer edition of ALDHA's newsletter and, I gotta say, I'm really excited about the Gathering. I'll be going by myself from Houston, TX and it would be nice to know other people who have no idea what they're doing or where they're going. We could be clueless together! Anyone else going?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
06-24-2014, 13:30
What is the Gathering CDC? And where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cats.don't.camp
06-24-2014, 14:33
What is the Gathering CDC? And where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's put on by the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association (ALDHA) and they have presentation/workshop type things. This year they're screening a movie made by a 2013 thru-hiker which sounds pretty neat. It's in Williamstown, MA at Williams College during Columbus weekend ... Oct 10-12 with a work trip on the trail to do maintenance Oct 13. Like I said, my first time so I hope all that information is correct. They've added tons of info in the new summer edition of their newsletter that you can get here:

http://aldha.org/newsletter.html

Razor
06-24-2014, 14:39
i have gone all my trail life . it is the best way to gain information on trails, equipment, technique , and general life on the trails in the company of ld hikers who have done it all !

cats.don't.camp
06-24-2014, 14:51
i have gone all my trail life . it is the best way to gain information on trails, equipment, technique , and general life on the trails in the company of ld hikers who have done it all !

Thank you for saying that. It reaffirms my excitement in going. No offense to my family and friends in TX but I feel like I could really use the advice of people that have been there done that, ya know? It sounds like an awesome learning experience... AND for 15'ers it's something to look forward to that's even closer than our AT start dates!

Dosu
06-28-2014, 11:19
I might check this out

SawnieRobertson
06-28-2014, 13:39
Ditto of Razor's reply. It is also a gathering for "wannabees." I have gone every year that it turned out that I could since 1998. I have always felt as though I was among people whom I truly understood and who could understand my love of being on the trail whenever I have been able to be there. Also, there is no question about the success of those who attend and LISTEN. We are of the same family/tribe/clan.

Jeff
06-28-2014, 14:33
Wonderful event. Wish all future thruhikers could attend....it would dramatically improve their odds of a successful hike.