PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Rocks, PA - How Tough?

HikerHarris
06-24-2014, 13:36
Hello: How tough is the terrain through Wolf Rocks and the Delaware Water Gap section in PA? My friend just had surgery on her hands and is wondering if there is much hand-over-hand hiking through this section, especially in the Wolf Rocks section, or the rest of the section North to DWG? Is anyone here familiar with the section?

Thanks!!

rafe
06-24-2014, 15:07
In PA, where you're using your hands it's usually to balance yourself and not so much to pull yourself up the hill. It's not like the worst of the White Mountains, or South Arm. Photo below is my idea of a typical PA rockpile, taken somewhere just south of Leroy Smith shelter I think. (A day's hike south of Wolf Rocks.)

perrito
06-24-2014, 15:18
Hand Surgery? What would happen if this guy tripped?

HikerHarris
06-24-2014, 15:28
In PA, where you're using your hands it's usually to balance yourself and not so much to pull yourself up the hill.

Hi Rafe:

Thanks a lot for the quick answer. I should have explained this better. We're very familiar with hiking the AT in PA. We're trying to hike the whole state and this is our last section. So I specifically want to know about the section from Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap, and maybe even more specifically, Wolf Rocks. We've had to do hand-over-hand hiking in other parks of PA, such as coming down through Lehigh Gap and maybe even around Knife's Edge.

Thanks again.

HikerHarris
06-24-2014, 15:31
Hand Surgery? What would happen if this guy tripped?
It's skin surgery on the back of the hands. So hands will be bandaged, but available. :-)

rocketsocks
06-24-2014, 15:39
2756127560 Wolf rocks, bit of a pain, wouldn't want to fall and have to support your weight on newly operated on Paws...but they're not to bad.

first shot is leading up towards wolf rocks, much of the trail looks like this in that area, definite ankle benders, just gotta go slow and watch each placement best you can.

rafe
06-24-2014, 15:47
Hi Rafe:

Thanks a lot for the quick answer. I should have explained this better. We're very familiar with hiking the AT in PA. We're trying to hike the whole state and this is our last section. So I specifically want to know about the section from Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap, and maybe even more specifically, Wolf Rocks. We've had to do hand-over-hand hiking in other parks of PA, such as coming down through Lehigh Gap and maybe even around Knife's Edge.

Thanks again.

If you've already done most of PA, you've seen the worst of it. From DWG to about 2 miles north of Kirkridge, the trail is a pussycat -- nicely graded ascent/descent out of DWG, and essentially a roadwalk up on the ridge. I'd don't recall Wolf Rocks specifically, just varying degrees of rockiness from Kirkridge south. Balance is an issue, falling down is always a possibility, but hand-over-hand -- I don't recall any of that in the section you're speaking of.

perrito
06-24-2014, 17:13
From Wind Gap (the furthest south I've hiked in Rocksylvania) to Kirkridge is very rocky.

kolokolo
06-24-2014, 17:43
I didn't think Wolf Rocks was crazy hard, but I did have to go slow and watch every foot placement. If your friend is worried about his hands he might want to have some gloves for this section.

RED-DOG
06-24-2014, 19:00
The Wolf Rocks area and the DWG area isn't really that difficult you just have to take your time and watch every step and your friend should be fine, just watch the rocks if their wet if your friend slips on a wet rock and have to catch herself with her hands that could possibly be quite painful, Personally i thought that area was quite enjoyable.

HikerHarris
06-24-2014, 19:52
Thanks all very much for the help here.

somers515
06-24-2014, 21:40
I did the section from Leroy Shelter to DWG this year so I remember it fairly well. Very little, if any, "hand-over-hand hiking". After the short climb out of Wind Gap there is a 5-6 mile section that was my least favorite part of that hike, sooo many rocks. All the rocks though, while seemingly placed with the intent to be always jagged edge up, required only slow going and careful placing of your feet not of the "hand-over-hand" variety. You get a view from Wolf Rocks and then you get a real nice easy trail to PA 191/Fox Gap. Kirkridge shelter is not far after that and it continues to be fairly nice, with occasional views, as you make your way to Mt. Minsi. There are some steep downhill sections after that down to the DWG. AT passes right by an ice-cream shop in town as your reward. Enjoy your hike!

Leanthree
06-24-2014, 22:01
I just did that section in May! Was a pretty nice spot with good views. Without knowing her exact hand-skill it is hard to say but there might be 5-10 places where hands really help, but you can get by with good balance and smart foot placement and maybe an elbow or forearm for balance.

Of note, is that there is a side-trail about half a mile IIRC in either direction of the rocks that hikes around the rocks. This could be useful if you get to any spot that your friend doesn't think she can get through you can backtrack and walk around.