PDA

View Full Version : What pack are you bringing?

ctebeau
06-24-2014, 22:30
Just out of curiosity. The time has come for me to purchase my pack for next years thru. Finding myself torn between the ULA circuit and the Gossamer Gear Mariposa. So I figured i'd ask you guys, what pack are you planning on bringing?

Feral Bill
06-24-2014, 22:47
The pack that suits one person may be a nightmare for you. Get to a good outfitter with a and try on many.
Take the top finalist on short trip. If it fits, keep it, if not, return it and try again.

bigcranky
06-25-2014, 07:24
That's generally good advice, FB, but it's hard to find dealers that carry ULA and Gossamer Gear packs.

If you have the money, of course, you can buy both and return one. It'll cost return shipping, which might be cheaper than gas money to a far-away outfitter.

About these packs: Both are excellent. Well made, well designed, specifically for long distance hiking. I see a lot of Circuits on the AT -- on one weekend hike this April I think half the northbounders we met had Circuits. I've never seen a Mariposa on the AT. That doens't mean they aren't there, but they aren't common. Finally, we now own three Circuits - finally got my lovely wife into one this year, and she loves it. Carries very much like her old Osprey women's pack but weighs half as much.

rafe
06-25-2014, 07:40
On any UL* pack, pay particular attention to the framesheet, or lack thereof. Something has to give structure to the pack; it either comes from the framesheet or very careful packing. See it if makes sense to you and feels good against your back, with a normal load.

No personal experience with either of these packs but know they're well regarded. Granite Gear must also have something in that category (whatever replaced the "Vapor Trail.)

*Not sure if 39 oz. for a pack is considered UL but that's another matter.

Speakeasy TN
06-25-2014, 08:02
I am repacking my ULA Catalyst for next year. Fantastic gear. As always though proper fit is a must. I had the wrong size hipbelt when I got to NOC and was able to fix the problem. I'd love to think I had shrunk by then!

Venchka
06-25-2014, 08:30
Given that a zillion companies make about a bazillion backpacks, how did you arrive at those two? Size? How much do you need? Weight? How much is too much? Price? What is your budget? Availability? You should have access to a good selection locally.
A few names to consider. If you have considered and eliminated these I was never here. GOOGLE can lead you to them.

Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack (http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/). I am a happy owner/user. Since 1974. Hand made in Seattle.

Hyperlite Mountain Gear (http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/). 2400-3400-4400 cu. in. models. Hand made in Maine

Boreas (http://www.boreasgear.com/pages/about-us). Sold at REI and other places.

One more time: Fit is everything. Does your gear fit in the pack? Does the pack fit you?

Wayne

colorado_rob
06-25-2014, 08:39
Sure do love my ULA Ohm 2.0 (but most people prefer the Circuit with it's better support, but ~11 oz penalty and the Ohm is plenty of support for my base weight), got about 1800 trail miles on it, going strong! I own about 10 packs, haven't used any other of them since I bought my ULA, except an REI flash 30 daypack for day hikes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear-tell that GG and ULA packs make up the majority of packs on the PCT? Very popular out west, at least.

Venchka
06-25-2014, 08:46
Rob,
GG? Gossamer or Granite?

Wayne

colorado_rob
06-25-2014, 09:13
Good question! I think I mis-spoke... I have a couple pals who completed the PCT last year, and they both own "GG" packs... they were going on about how their brand packs and ULA packs dominated the trail... Now that I think about it, I THNK they had Granite Gear packs, not Gossamer, sorry for the confusion.

I get the two GG's mixed up all the time.

Venchka
06-25-2014, 10:15
i CAN SEE WHERE SEEING "gg" COULD LEAD TO ALL SORTS OF CONFUSION.

oops. working again.

Wayne

RED-DOG
06-25-2014, 10:22
On my PCT thru i will be carring Z-Packs ArcBlast ( Hybrid ).

Slo-go'en
06-25-2014, 10:24
I was going to use one of my external frame packs, likely the Jansport "Scout". This pack only weighs 3 pounds, not much more then many internal frame packs. I figure with all the food and water which needs to be carried at times, the external frame would do a better job. I don't see where an internal frame pack has much advantage over an external frame on western trails, which for the most part are nicely graded. The AT on the other hand...

But for various reasons I decided not to do this trip this year. Maybe next year.

kidchill
06-25-2014, 17:21
I used a Goss Gear pack for my SOBO thru. I'm not sure if it was the Mariposa or not. I think it weighed roughly 25 or 27oz (it was the newer design). The seams busted at the bottom, right hand side. This caused a nice sized hole where the shoulder strap attached to the base of the pack. This happened by the time I was out of the 100 mile wilderness. Literally the day I hit Mass, the strap came completely off of the pack. Luckily I was staying a few days with friends. I think I cut a hole in the back of the pack near the metal U-frame and then knot tied the shoulder strap around the metal bar. It made it the rest of the way to GA, but it was unfortunate that the pack began breaking down after only 100miles. I contacted customer support and they told me to mail it to them and they would repair it. It's impossible to do this on trail! So, I'm kind of divided. The seams definitely shouldn't have busted out the first 100 miles, but my ghetto rig did technically last to GA...the customer support did not seem viable, or all that helpful, but at the end of the day, they did offer to repair it. In terms of usability I dig the pack. There's a fair amount of storage space, especially for the weight...also, the side pockets and exterior webbing are great for items that you want quick access to (rain gear, water filter, gloves, etc). I also have the HMG, side-winder or something like that. It weighs the same as the GG pack, but has significantly less carrying space, and no real side pockets. Really, a pack is a pretty personal option. Think about what you want/need, consider the weight of the pack, consider fit, and also consider how much weight you will be carrying in said pack...Do NOT overload light packs! They're just not made for it.

Venchka
06-25-2014, 18:34
kidchill,
Sorry about your luck. You bring up the one thing about these UL backpacks that I fear: Lightweight at the expense of durability.

The Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Packs I linked to earlier are made with 1000D Cordura nylon, leather and nylon straps sized for their function. Can you say "Bulletproof?" Even so, they weigh between 2 pounds and 2 pounds 10 ounces from the smallest to the largest sizes. The Giant Jensen is quite large at 4,378-4,610 cu. in. depending on torso size. The original Jensen pack is 2,969 to 3,241 cu. in. My medium size Jensen with the external pockets (760 cu. in. - highly recommended) is right at 3,865 cu. in. or 63 liters. It will hold more than I need to carry.

Jensen Giant on the left. Original Jensen on the right.

They deserve consideration.

Wayne

rafe
06-25-2014, 18:41
kidchill,
Sorry about your luck. You bring up the one thing about these UL backpacks that I fear: Lightweight at the expense of durability.

My 37 oz. Granite Gear Vapor Trail is built like a rock. It hasn't seen the kind of miles that its big brother (the Numbus Ozone) has but it's the same grade of construction and materials throughout. Both are seven years old now, between them they have a thousand miles or so of AT, LT and White Mountain hiking on them. The only damage on either one is a small tear in one of the outer mesh pockets.

T-Rx
06-25-2014, 18:45
I carry my gear in a ULA Catalyst. Love it!

jimmyjam
06-25-2014, 19:23
Of those two packs you listed I would choose the Mariposa. I use a SMD Starlite. Everyone like like something different, to each his own.

Ricky&Jack
06-25-2014, 19:30
This is my TETON OUTFITTER 4600 (With Jack E. Boys stuffed clifford)

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b607/Ricky_Sanftner/IMGP0322_zpsf0712809.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Ricky_Sanftner/media/IMGP0322_zpsf0712809.jpg.html)

Venchka
06-25-2014, 19:44
My 37 oz. Granite Gear Vapor Trail is built like a rock. It hasn't seen the kind of miles that its big brother (the Numbus Ozone) has but it's the same grade of construction and materials throughout. Both are seven years old now, between them they have a thousand miles or so of AT, LT and White Mountain hiking on them. The only damage on either one is a small tear in one of the outer mesh pockets.

Thanks. Whenever I get a touch of gear lust I do look at Granite Gear offerings.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

q-tip
06-26-2014, 11:53
Granite Gear Crown VC, I just like to have all my stuff in the pack, I own 7 packs and really only use this one. Replaced my GG Vapor Trail..... Pack with Cuben hip pockets 34 oz.

permagrin
06-26-2014, 23:03
Going to start the AT at Springer in May of 2015. Will be using an Osprey 70-brand new to me. My last one was a Camp Trails external frame, but NO where near as light and comfy as the Osprey...Heyyyyy anyone wanna buy a used pack?

ChuckT
06-27-2014, 09:38
I bought a large size Granite Gear Nimbus Trace (62L) contemplating At hike in 2015. After replacing the waistbelt (too small) and the shoulder straps (also too short) adding two waist pockets and two shoulder strap pockets the empty weight I measured is 41 ounces.

Dosu
06-28-2014, 11:26
I've got a black diamond epic 35. I've used it for some extreme adventures and it's held up pretty well and always comfortable. Going to take it on the trail and if needed I'll do a swap out in late spring/summer.

Biggie Master
06-28-2014, 16:14
I would speculate that between these two packs, there is no wrong choice, only good and better. I doubt that one or the other will prevent you from walking as far as you have in you to walk. Your comfort and perhaps how you pack may be impacted, but little else. I have the ULA Ohm2 and love it, but your mileage may vary.

BuckeyeBill
06-28-2014, 16:25
I am taking a ULA Catalyst. nice and roomy and weight seems ok. Very comfortable.

Caddywhompus
06-30-2014, 14:32
I'll be using an Osprey Volt 60.

None yet
06-30-2014, 16:04
I purchased a ZPacks 52L Arc Blast for the AT this year and saw quite a few of them: we all had different configurations. It's doing great even though it's overloaded the first couple of days after resupplying. I like that it's a custom fit pack.

soumodeler
07-20-2014, 09:07
ZPacks Arc Blast 52L

Offshore
07-20-2014, 09:50
This is my TETON OUTFITTER 4600 (With Jack E. Boys stuffed clifford)

Tell Jack it's time to step up and carry Clifford himself.

T-Rx
07-20-2014, 10:23
I will carry a ULA Catalyst and my wife will carry a Granite Gear Nimbus Trace on our upcoming thru. I love my Catalyst roomy and comfortable.

Old Hiker
07-20-2014, 11:06
Unfortunately, I'm a "kitchen sink" hiker, carrying too much gear/weight. I'm cutting down on weight, but don't see myself at less that 40 pounds.

I'm on my second JanSport Klamath 75 at 4#, 13 oz. My first one started fraying around the waist belt, shoulder straps and other locations after at least 10 years of use. JanSport sent me a new 75 at no charge.

I was ready to hate it, as it's not like the original 75, but I'm getting used to it. I'm spoiled with the sleeping bag compartment at the bottom for my kitchen and tent, plus the top and side pocket access make it easy to get inside. The front pocket is large enough now more some long items, like my tent poles.

After all my gear is gathered and gone through several times (again), I'll pack it and start cutting straps, etc. off to save a few ounces more.

Venchka
07-20-2014, 11:25
Gosh. Y'all are making me feel better and better about my ancient antiques and relics. I thought I needed all new stuff.
I did save half a pound by replacing an old Thermarest self-inflator with the Xtherm. Best move ever.
No way I will spend money to replace a 2 1/2 pound pack that I know works for me on an unknown pack that may, or may not, fit me and might be a few ounces lighter. The same is true for my solo tent and tarp.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I am aiming for 7-10 day trips with a leaving the car pack weight of 40 pounds. Hopefully less. Definitely less.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Busfoot
07-21-2014, 14:02
Golite Jam 50

Wülfgang
07-22-2014, 11:10
GoLite Jam 50 here as well. When are you starting Busfoot?

mattjv89
07-22-2014, 11:18
Going with a Deuter ACT Zero 50+15. I've put about 50 miles on it so far and absolutely love it. It's a little heavier than some offerings but after going to the outfitter and trying on a few packs I learned that the extra weight of more padding will be absolutely worth it. I tried on that Osprey Exos, in fact I walked into the outfitter expecting to turn right around with it after reading all the rave reviews. As soon as it was on and adjusted I couldn't get it off fast enough, the padding was just too minimal for what I need to be comfortable. Glad it works great for so many people but I'm not one of them. Definitely a lesson in trying packs on first and not wasting too much time reading up online, ya just can't tell how a pack is going to feel from somebody else's words.

Anyways the Deuter pack has been great, seems very well built and the outfitter mentioned he takes less of them in for repair than any other national brand. Well designed too, all the exterior pockets and top lid are cut with enough fabric that they don't disappear when you fill the main pack up. The padding is oh so nice too, there's very little difference between the amount of padding on this pack and their 70+ liter models so I think it'll carry any load you can physically fit in the pack very well (ok maybe not bricks..)

Old Hiker
07-22-2014, 11:59
Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 on sale at Back Country right now: 20% off. Wish it had a sleeping bag compartment - this one would knock about a pound off.

blue indian
07-22-2014, 21:58
custom Elemental Horizons Kalais

drew_a_blank
07-25-2014, 11:36
My plan is to use my Gregory Savant 58. It's a bit heavier than I'd like, but of the 6+ packs I tested in the 2-3lb range this one was by far the most comfortable. I'm using a hammock/quilt system, so having the extra space to store all my gear on the inside of the pack is a huge bonus.

Tron-Life
07-25-2014, 17:17
As always, I'll be using my modified REI Flash 50. It's old and they no longer makes them, so if it breaks, I'll replace it with a GoLite Jam 50 most likely.

AmputeeHiker
08-04-2014, 10:21
I own an Osprey Aether 70 that I bought last year. It's not the lightest but it fits me well and It's already paid for so thats what i will be taking.

trippclark
08-04-2014, 13:41
I use and love my Gossamer Gear Mariposa. For me, it is the perfect size for my gear and a week's worth of food and is comfortable to carry. This is my second Mariposa. I first bought one in 2010, which was still very serviceable, but I liked some of the new feature changes so I got a new model earlier this year. On a section hike last month in Massachusetts and Vermont, I met a northbounder who had been carrying the same new version of the Mariposa since Georgia and he was very complimentary of the pack.

I have no experience with the ULA to offer a direct comparison.

None yet
08-04-2014, 20:35
My ZPacks Arc Blast shows no sign of wear or stitch failure even after abuse of overloading (AT). I am taking it on the PCT NEXT YEAR

Truelove
08-05-2014, 13:11
Looks like I will be taking my ULA Circuit. I own an Osprey Aether 85 and while insanely comfortable the circuit is half the weight. I had bought the aether for carrying my weight and someone else's majority. I've used in on multi-day hikes but for a thru hike I believe in some give in take for comfort and weight.

bigcranky
08-05-2014, 20:57
My ZPacks Arc Blast shows no sign of wear or stitch failure even after abuse of overloading (AT). I am taking it on the PCT NEXT YEAR

That's good to hear. I have some concerns about cuben's ability to handle abrasion, as my Blast food bag has small holes around the top just from rolling it. The arc blast is a pack I've been considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Siarl
08-06-2014, 02:46
I have been researching and researching equipment, mainly the big three, for since October 2013 and I have decided on the Granite Gear Crown VC 60. I like the roll top bag and I like it simple but with the option of having some sort of support or not. I can't really say why I definitely want this one but the cuben material in the other brands sound great but the abrasion factor was a convincing reason not to purchase a pack made from cuben fibers. It also has great reviews from those that have used it on trails and the AT.

Pinhoti
08-08-2014, 12:38
Just got my ULA Ohm 2.0. Seems well made but have yet to put it to the test.

Gunner1776
08-10-2014, 17:26
Not sure yet, but it looks like I may go with the ULA Circuit.

Cassafras
08-10-2014, 21:33
I'll be taking a Zpacks Arc Blast. Now if it would just hurry up and get here so I can take it for a test drive :)

swjohnsey
08-10-2014, 23:11
Used a ULA Ohm 2.0 great pack. Probably say more Circuits than any other single pack. Anything made from cuben probably won't last. I used some cuben stuff sacks, dry sacks from Z-Pack and they were in taters by the end of the trail.

Cassafras
08-11-2014, 07:59
The Arc Blast is made with a layer of 50 denier polyester on the outside to prevent fraying of the cuben. Hopefully this will help.

magneto
08-11-2014, 08:17
I just got an Arc Blast and tried it out this weekend. It seems to be a great product when used with a proper UL kit.

I was so thankful I had made the switch as I watched people at the trail-head toggling up their huge, 40 lb packs to climb. They needed two hands to left them and they staggered under the weight.

I cruised around the Tripyramids, the Sleepers, Whiteface and arrived at the base of Mt Passaconaway to camp. Going down the very steep and unstable "South Slide" of the last Trypyramid. I was very glad not to be balancing 40 lbs of gear on my back. Up and over Passaconoway and a three mike hike along Rt 112 back to my car the next day - glad to have gone light.

If the pack wears out, I'll buy another. As far as I am concerned, most gear are "consumable" items like tires and batteries.

This light-weight stuff is worth every penny, even if it doesn't last forever.

swjohnsey
08-11-2014, 08:50
Leaving town with a 20lb pack and coming into town with a 10lb pack is great! With some light gear you don't have to compromise durability. My ULA Ohm 2.0 is ready to go again.

moondoggie
09-06-2014, 13:13
As I'm Reading Through This Thread, I See No Mention Of Base Weight. This Should Be The #1 Consideration. Then You Can Better Determine How Large (Or Better Yet How Small) A pack You'll Need. On My 2011 Thru, I Carried A Go-lite And 24 Lb Base. Ugh! That Means 40+ Lbs After Resupply. Doable, As I Am Proof, But No Fun. As Soon As I Returned, I Went With ULA Air-x, Which Is Basically A Catalyst With An Inertia Air-X Pad For A Frame. Very Comfortable! Since Then, I've Reduced My Base To <11 Lbs. Now have a Z Packs Arc Blast. As For Durability, It's Not An Issue. Getting Back On Subject, If Your Base Is Over 16, Go With A ULA. Of Course, Your Pack Is Part I'd Your Base Weight. Your Pack Should Be The Last Thing You Buy, So You Know If It'll All Fit. I Don't Recommend Hanging stuff Off The Outside Of Your Pack.

Grampsb
09-06-2014, 20:22
If I can get my gear pared down it will be my MLD Prophet. Otherwise my ULA Circuit.

Odd Man Out
09-06-2014, 20:38
I like my Elemental Horizons Kalais. It seems quite comparable to a ULA Circuit. This is a newer company so you don't see their packs very much, but they have received some good reviews.

saralynne1982
09-07-2014, 19:25
Hi! I am bringing a Deuter women's 60 + 10-I would highly recommend going to an outfitter to get measured and try out a variety of options. I had my heart set on a Gregory, but after packing and walking around in three different options, the Gregory was not for me and the Deuter, not even in consideration, was my choice. Haven't looked back since.

krawler
09-08-2014, 21:02
I am using a Camp Trails Paragon 3, internal framed 65-70L pack.

denefi
09-08-2014, 21:44
I have an Osprey Kestrel 48, which is a bit more than I'd like to carry but super comfortable. I'm also new to backpacking, so I still like having all the little pockets and sections. I gather that's something I'll grow out of, but I haven't yet. If I drop down in weight it might be to a comparably sized Exos for about a pound of weight savings. The rest of my stuff (Enlightened Equipment quilt, foam pad, and Fly Creek UL2) is relatively lightweight. The iPad's gonna weight me down, though :)

overthinker
09-09-2014, 15:02
ULA Ohm 2.0. Love that thing. Was thinking of getting a Multi Pack 4-in-1 from ZPacks for a little extra storage, but that might not be necessary. Going to make that decision after some colder weather shakedowns this fall.

KillerKarma
09-09-2014, 18:51
Just tried a Deuter 45 + 10 this weekend and it's my favorite so far. I might try to make it work, but I'm worried about the capacity so I'm going to look into the 65 + 10 (maybe). Tried an REI Flash and an Osprey 65 (one of the 'A' names). Getting closer.

JohnnySnook
09-10-2014, 05:27
I'm not sure how to go about picking a pack. I live in Miami, FL and doubt I'd be able to head to north to test one out without blowing at least $700 bucks and I'd like to save that for my trip. Whats my best options for picking a pack you not be able to test in the real mountain world?

ChuckT
09-10-2014, 06:01
The hardest thing that you will experience is trying to sift thru or ignore the enthusiasm a you read here.
An REI membership will get access for you to a large selection and you can return or exchange if you're not impressed enough. Closet REI to you is probably Jacksonville.
Were I doing it (buying a new pack) again I'd settle on the one that I like purchase it load up with 30# medium density "stuff" (foam peanuts + a sack of something) then find a multi story building with a stair. Be warned you are going to look like a nerd. Also there's the trespassing thing so maybe ask first.
A few trips up AND down (very telling) and you'll get a feeling for whether or not that pack is a winner or not and since you haven't stressed it substantially sending it back is still viable. Good luck!

ChuckT
09-10-2014, 07:19
Why not survey your local Wally Worlds?
The pack you find there will not be ultra lite nor ultra material. But it will be serviceable for a season or two and the price is right.

mankind117
09-10-2014, 11:56
Unfortunately picking a pack is one of the hardest things to do. How people percieve and experience the comfort of a particular pack is such a personal thing and there is just no way to really know WHAT WORKS FOR YOU unless you go out and use it. Even walking about REI for 30 minutes is not the same as walking many miles day after day. What works for one person may not work for another person. I've used 5 different packs each at least 100 miles in about 1300 miles of packpacking in the last 4 years in an attempt to find a pack that I judge to be comfortable for me. This included about 350 on a ula catalyst. You will find lots of people rave about how great ula packs are for example. I never could get that pack to work for me. I just found the thing uncomfortable, it would make my hip go to sleep half the time and I ended up getting rid of it. I found a pack that weighed 2 more pounds more comfortable. Of course all this assumes you use the pack with the weight it can reasonably handle. A frameless pack will not work if you are carrying 40 pounds. Just take people's advice with a grain of salt. If you really can't go to an REI or buy a pack through the mail and be willing to pay the return shipping you will just have to pick one, bite the bullet and hope for the best, and realize there is a chance the pack just may not work for YOU. Now after telling you not to listen to people, I will say that my current favorite pack out of the 4 I currently have is the paradox unaweep (http://store.seekoutside.com/unaweep-evolution-4800-backpack/). It is the most comfortable pack I have used across a range of loads from light to heavy.

88BlueGT
09-10-2014, 14:42
If you're deciding betwee the two... ULA absolutely has a higher quality pack.

Coffee
09-10-2014, 14:46
If you're deciding betwee the two... ULA absolutely has a higher quality pack.

ULA makes great packs that are super durable! I now have 1,100 miles on my Circuit. After my last hike, I removed the stay and loop suspension and put the pack into a front loading washing machine at a laundromat with Tide detergent and then hung it to dry. The pack looks basically new at this point. I'm careful with gear but don't baby the pack. I've been very impressed. I'm not sure a cuben or cuben hybrid pack would look like new after 1,100 miles and three cycles in a commercial washer (can you even put cuben in a washing machine?) Anyway, add my vote for a ULA pack as a great option for any trail!

88BlueGT
09-10-2014, 14:58
ULA makes great packs that are super durable! I now have 1,100 miles on my Circuit. After my last hike, I removed the stay and loop suspension and put the pack into a front loading washing machine at a laundromat with Tide detergent and then hung it to dry. The pack looks basically new at this point. I'm careful with gear but don't baby the pack. I've been very impressed. I'm not sure a cuben or cuben hybrid pack would look like new after 1,100 miles and three cycles in a commercial washer (can you even put cuben in a washing machine?) Anyway, add my vote for a ULA pack as a great option for any trail!

Exactly. My ULA pack is 5+ years old and looks BRAND NEW. I'm just like you; I don't beat the hell out of it and throw it off mountains but I don't baby it for sure and it's help up wonderfully. I love the Mariposa design but I know I would have been through 3 of them already.

Coffee
09-10-2014, 15:40
For a while I was strongly considering replacing my Circuit with the ArcBlast for a weight savings of around one pound but I seriously doubt that I'll switch from the Circuit. It has proven to work for me and it has thousands of miles of use left. I think that cuben has its role but for me at least that's in my tent and stuff sacks, not my pack.

jred321
09-12-2014, 12:04
I just ordered a Mariposa yesterday. I was deciding between the two (looked at a bunch, narrowed it down to those two) and went with the Mariposa. The ultimate deciding factor for me (besides being able to identify which pack is mine at a shelter since everyone has a ULA pack at this point :p) was the external pockets and being able to more easily organize my gear based on its need. Also, in doing the research, it seems like Gossamer Gear makes real, substantial updates to this pack pretty regularly. It seems they have actually addressed most of the items people gave as negative feedback in older reviews and I'm anxious to see how the new pack works for me.

That said, they do have a 30 day return policy and if I can't get it to be comfortable with my gear I'll pay the return shipping and get a Circuit. It seems like you can't really go wrong with either on paper and it's going to be a matter of how it fits

Coffee
09-12-2014, 12:21
I wonder if the prevalence of ULA packs is more common along the AT than other trails. On the JMT I saw only a few ULA packs and on the Colorado Trail, I only met one other hiker with a ULA pack. But come to think of it, I didn't see any ULA packs on my AT segment this spring either. I think that the lack of distribution really hurts the cottage gear companies.

colorado_rob
09-12-2014, 12:54
I wonder if the prevalence of ULA packs is more common along the AT than other trails. On the JMT I saw only a few ULA packs and on the Colorado Trail, I only met one other hiker with a ULA pack. But come to think of it, I didn't see any ULA packs on my AT segment this spring either. I think that the lack of distribution really hurts the cottage gear companies. Interesting; I just did a week and 100 miles of the Whites last week and saw maybe about 40% of the NOBO thru hikers had a ULA pack, mostly Circuits and some OHM's. BTW: we (my wife and I)counted 190 NOBO thru hikers in one week of hiking SOBO from Gorham (US2) and Glencliff, 100 miles. I guess we crossed a pretty big bubble. Certainly, in CO, ULA packs haven't caught on. I understand, however, that they are very popular along the PCT (two pals did the PCT last year, both carrying ULA's and they saw a ton of others with them).

KillerKarma
09-13-2014, 15:17
Do people not use Deuter packs? My 1-2 day pack is a Deuter and I love it so I'm looking at them for my thru pack. I never hear/read about anyone using them. Just wondering if I'm missing something. Don't want to go wrong with this purchase.

denefi
09-13-2014, 16:45
I wonder if the prevalence of ULA packs is more common along the AT than other trails. On the JMT I saw only a few ULA packs and on the Colorado Trail, I only met one other hiker with a ULA pack. But come to think of it, I didn't see any ULA packs on my AT segment this spring either. I think that the lack of distribution really hurts the cottage gear companies.

I haven't thru hike any of these (yet), but I'd speculate that the AT might have a higher prevalence of ULA packs as a result of two things. (1) Resupplies are more closely spaced on the AT, so people can get away with carrying less. ULA packs are lighter and made to carry less weight, so additional days of food might push the total pack weight higher than what the ULA pack is made to carry. 2 - No bear cannisters on the AT. One more thing that would take up space and add weight further out west, which would make the ULA packs less of a good choice.

Just a guess, but I think those would be contributing factors.

Coffee
09-13-2014, 17:49
Those factors could be at play.

In general, I have found it very interesting to see that the use of lightweight gear does not appear to be that common in general on most trails. With a base weight of somewhat under 15 pounds, I'm in no way "ultralight" by the standards of the internet, yet I seem to usually have the lightest pack on the trails I've hiked. I've only rarely seen people with smaller packs and probably only encountered a few true "ultralight" hikers - that is, those with base weights likely below 10 pounds. Obviously I'm not weighing other people's packs and I steer away from gear discussions on trail knowing that this often is a hot button issue. But my general impression is that UL hikers are a lot more common online than in person, if that makes sense. Now I haven't been around a lot of thru hikers on a long trail yet (in a bubble) or anything like that so maybe I'll encounter more lightweight hikers when I thru hike the AT or PCT...

Nonfiction
09-15-2014, 05:46
I'll be rocking my trusty Osprey Atmos 65. I like being able to carry everything inside my pack, so there is nothing on the outside. Little heavier than some, but Damn is it comfy!

RangerZ
09-15-2014, 16:50
I'll be rocking my trusty Osprey Atmos 65. I like being able to carry everything inside my pack, so there is nothing on the outside. Little heavier than some, but Damn is it comfy!

What have you found to be it's comfort limit? So far i'm good to 35 pounds.

KillerKarma
09-16-2014, 18:56
I finally got my pack today! I went with the Deuter ACT lite 60+10. It's perfect for me. Took me a bit to hunt one down too.

I tried Osprey packs 3 times since they are so highly recommended, but it just wasn't comfy for me.

Mags
09-16-2014, 20:35
Certainly, in CO, ULA packs haven't caught on. I understand, however, t\.

Just a theory, and I could be wrong, but I think the shorter trails that are very well known, (JMT, Colorado Trail, possibly Vermont's Long Trail) you tend to have a lot more people doing them vs the longer commitment of the "Big Three" . And most of those people are not tied into the cottage gear makers. These shorter-trail hikers probably get most of their gear from REI vs AT,PCT and certainly CDT thru-hikers.

Again, just a guess.

I haven't thru hike any of these (yet), but I'd speculate that the AT might have a higher prevalence of ULA packs as a result of two things

Hmm...ULA packs tends to be ones that can haul more weight vs other lighter weight gear companies. In fact, I use my ULA pack for hauling a bear canister (among other things). (http://www.pmags.com/ula-catalyst-review)

But my general impression is that UL hikers are a lot more common online than in person, if that makes sense.

I think you are correct sir. At least that is what I find as well. Most people would rather buy something they can try on directly..like at REI. :) While REI's more mainstream offerings are lighter than what was offered even a decade ago [1], it is still heavier than most cottage gear. Osprey packs, free standing tents and so on. Most people doing a shorter trail aren't going to reinvest all their money into gear that may or may not work when their trusty, but heavier, gear worked well enough on weekends.

[1] I finally convinced the Mrs to get rid of a circa 2001 Bora 75 by Acteryx! Egads..thing weighs 7 lbs empty and it has been in storage since we started dating. But that was "normal" gear then, and not too long after.

mattjv89
09-16-2014, 21:49
Do people not use Deuter packs? My 1-2 day pack is a Deuter and I love it so I'm looking at them for my thru pack. I never hear/read about anyone using them. Just wondering if I'm missing something. Don't want to go wrong with this purchase.

I use a 50+15 which I will be thru hiking with and love it, and I do hear them mentioned on here from time to time including in this thread. I've noticed the same thing though overall, I rarely see another one on the trail nor are they talked about here as much as other national brands like Osprey. Kind of weird since they seem to have about the same distribution, every EMS or other major outfitter I go into has a selection of Deuter packs. Maybe they are a newer company on the scene? I really don't think you're missing anything though, the outfitter I bought mine from spoke very highly of the build quality. Said he takes less of them in for repair or warranty issues than any other brand in the shop. Mine is super comfortable, and for me the extra padding is every bit worth the little weight penalty.

Mags
09-16-2014, 23:07
Deuter is a well known German company. (http://www.deuter.com/US/us/history-1598.html) My wife, whose family is back in Germany, has one she uses for climbing/canyoneering. She bought it at Jack Wolfskin..another well known German company (think Moosejaw or EMS) IIRC.

Well built packs that take a licking (if with a weight penalty). Neptune Mountaineering here in Boulder has stocked them for a while. Did not realize REI and EMS stocks them now, too. Looks like they are branching out beyond specialty mountaineering stores here in the US and going more mainstream.

July
09-16-2014, 23:22
Deuter is a well known German company. (http://www.deuter.com/US/us/history-1598.html) My wife, whose family is back in Germany, has one she uses for climbing/canyoneering. She bought it at Jack Wolfskin..another well known German company (think Moosejaw or EMS) IIRC.

Well built packs that take a licking (if with a weight penalty). Neptune Mountaineering here in Boulder has stocked them for a while. Did not realize REI and EMS stocks them now, too. Looks like they are branching out beyond specialty mountaineering stores here in the US and going more mainstream.

Hello from USA, or guten abend to you sir...

Mags
09-16-2014, 23:26
Hello from USA, or guten abend to you sir...

The wife is German...I'm just a Rhode Island transplant with lots of vowels in my last name. ;)